Trading Artifacts : how?

mrmike1949

Chieftain
in searching for hints for "It Belongs in a Museum", I came across references to trading artifacts. How is this done? I don't think I have ever seen that option in the Trade menu

There should be 3 trading columns- writing, art and artefact.

Are you looking in the right place?

You don't trade Great Works of Art or Writing or Artifacts through the trade menu. Go to Culture Overview and select the second tab at the top of that screen -- "Swap Great Works.".

In addition if you have a tech lead, they might not have any artifacts yet to trade.
While this can happen in any type; it's most likely to have for this one given how late Archaeology is in the trade tree.

You don't trade Great Works of Art or Writing or Artifacts through the trade menu. Go to Culture Overview and select the second tab at the top of that screen -- "Swap Great Works.".

Ah, OK that was the confusion

thnx
MikeK

Same as for trading writings and art --to get theming bonuses.

You're playing as the Persians: in a museum, you have an ancient era Persian artifact and a classical era Danish artifact, for no theming bonus. Go to the Swap screen and look for a classical era artifact from any other civ. You see a classical era artifact from Milan that is being offered by the Shoshone. Swap your ancient era Persian artifact for the classical Milanese artifact -> get theming bonus.

Only option is to build a Monument?

I am at the point in the game that the only option I have when finished digging is to build a monument. Not to put into a museum. So I built more settlers so new cities can build more museums etc. Is that the only option you have.

Brew God

By monument, you mean a landmark (tile improvement that gives culture).

Before you start digging, you should always make sure you have space in a museum (2 slots), your palace (1 slot), a cathedral (1 slot) or a wonder (variable, from 1 to 4 slots) to hold whatever you've dug up. It is OK to pause digging until you finish building or buying required slots, but if you dig to completion and don't have any place to put the artifact, your only option will be to create a landmark.

Getting the cathedral belief can help you get more artifact space. Discovering archeology first helps you get the artifacts before the other civilizations.

Completing Exploration also reveals the hidden sites, which would be very useful if going after the achievement.

Getting more hidden sites will usually require more space for artifacts. Obtaining museums and other national wonders that allow artifact space could come in handy. Another thing that you can get from hidden sites are political treatises when there is no more artifact space.

But political treatises (called cultural revolutions, or some such) from hidden sites are random. I cleared 14 hidden sites in my last game and only got 2 cultural revolution opportunities.

I know this topic has been discussed here before however...once again can players explain how hidden sites are found. Do they look different or when your mouse goes over the object does it say...hidden site?

Brew God

They have slightly different coloring from regular antiquity sites, and are only visible (and can only be dug) if you have completed the Exploration policy tree.

Top Bottom