Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thanks Supr. Good idea, but I can't get it to work.

It annoys me that I can't open a Map Editor (world builder) separately and create game maps (for my wife). There is a mapeditor.exe, dating from 1994 apparently, but it will not open.

I can open "world builder" in a game, clear everything and start from new, but I lose all the Indian settlements and even if I allocate territory for them I cannot create villages. I suppose I could open a game, get rid of everything except the Indian villages, and reconstruct the rest...but what a hassle, and not much sense.

I used to spend a lot of time with similar functions in NWN, Settlers and others.

Having World Builder in-game is just an invitation to cheat.

I played the old Col a lot, was fun :)

1) in the old Col, if you left a regular colonist on a task, like cotton planting, he could eventually become an expert. Is that true in Col 2? I haven't seen it happen yet.

2) can I leave colonists on the dock in Europe forever? or will they eventually disappear if I don't take them to the New World?

1) in the old Col, if you left a regular colonist on a task, like cotton planting, he could eventually become an expert. Is that true in Col 2? I haven't seen it happen yet.

2) can I leave colonists on the dock in Europe forever? or will they eventually disappear if I don't take them to the New World?

1) - Doesn't happen anymore.
2) - I think they stay.

Welcome to the Forums billpaustin. :beer:

Civilization IV: Colonization Quick Answers / “Newbie” Questions

In order to handle the large number of posts in this forum, we have created this thread as a place to ask simple or straightforward questions so that you can get an answer quickly. Although you might want to read through the Colonization Info Center or other recent posts first, this is completely optional.

Feel free to just ask your question, regardless of whether it’s been asked before!

This should also serve as a good reference for new players to learn the basics. :)
Please tell me if there is a fix to this problem, and how to check answer

no, this isn't a feature in Col II
I played a long time (>100 turns) with a person at the docks, he doesn't vanish.

Could anyone tell me where the best area to start my civ is? any tile in particular that stands out?

Could anyone tell me where the best area to start my civ is? any tile in particular that stands out?

I like to pick a tile with a bonus I can sell in Europe and not need. So that makes tobacco, cotton and sugar perfect candidates. :)

I never consider fur for my first city as that's usually in tundra which means very slow food growth. And similarly I don't build the first city on a hill as tools isn't really a trade good.

I like to pick a tile with a bonus I can sell in Europe and not need. So that makes tobacco, cotton and sugar perfect candidates. :)

I never consider fur for my first city as that's usually in tundra which means very slow food growth. And similarly I don't build the first city on a hill as tools isn't really a trade good.

Thank you for the reply. How long should i spend looking for a good spot? Whenever i go too far it takes forever to sail to Europe. I'm not having much luck with my starting cities.. sigh..

I try to find a good spot within 4-8 tiles of the Europe zone in the first four turns. If still unsuccessful I restart. Cheating I know, but that's how I play. :)

I try to find a good spot within 4-8 tiles of the Europe zone in the first four turns. If still unsuccessful I restart. Cheating I know, but that's how I play. :)

Thats a good tip thank you. Also i am having a really hard time finding bodies for my army when the time comes. Is there any easy way to start recruiting soldiers in numbers that is economical?

When you start getting gold coming in, I buy a veteran soldier every third. So from about turn 75-100 I'll start doing this. I'll make them fishermen in my coastal colonies (can always use more fish lol). From about turn 175 every second is a VS. From about turn 200 every colonist is equiped with muskets.

Yeah, after my last game, where I made cities specialize in mega-food production, as well as mega-guns production, it was like, "Meh, ok, I know the mechanic."

Import a bunch of statesmen late in the game, once your people and guns are stacked up, do a mega rush towards liberty, declare indie, evacuate the coast, fight back, win. Done. ;)

What is the CheatCode supposed to be set to in the ini file. Looking for the shift key data display to assist in new city build. Hopefully it's implemented like Civ4 proper.

thanks,
Joseph

Hello :crazyeye:

when my unit is promoted to veteran 4 (i think) it should gain a skill to capture the land. But how?

Cheers!

Hello :crazyeye:

when my unit is promoted to veteran 4 (i think) it should gain a skill to capture the land. But how?

Cheers!

Not sure what you're asking.

Welcome to the Forums murena11. :beer:

Not sure what you're asking.

Welcome to the Forums murena11. :beer:

Thanks... wel, i mean, lets say my unit gets promoted to veteran IV. And now it should be able to capture the land of my opponent. But how can I order the unit to capture some land? Hope I made myself more clear :)

You have to capture the city to get the land around it.
You can't just capture a land tile, but you can pillage it if you're at war.

What is the CheatCode supposed to be set to in the ini file. Looking for the shift key data display to assist in new city build. Hopefully it's implemented like Civ4 proper.

thanks,
Joseph
Found it: "CheatCode = chipotle"

Same as Civilization 4. Same (almost?) other cheats also. Mostly that darn shift-hover that's been bugging me. Funny thing is they reference it in the Hints, but it's not a default feature. :)

Top Bottom