Sengoku Jidai (Japan) Mod (in-progress with pics)

Japan looks beautiful. I look forward to ruling it. ;)

I wish you the best. From one modder to another, good luck.

I'm also really glad you got your new Civs to load properly. I'm still figuring that out. Total conversion mods are not easy. If you have any quick pointers, I'd love to hear them. :mischief:

But more on topic, I like what I'm hearing. Keep working towards that vision and let no one lead you astray. Improve your mod with feedback but don't always feel you have to make the changes people ask of you. They may be right that something has to change, but they may be wrong about how (unless you immediately agree with it). Just something I've picked up from writing.

I have to say with complete confidence that I am looking forward to this mod's release. Lets put it this way... The last 3 weeks I have been working on ModBuddy to try and figure it out well enough to make a mod similar to this. At this moment I have turned my eyes to you and I absolutely can not wait! If you ever want someone to just play around with the map or test a alpha version of the mod... I am your guy! I'll invest unreasonable hours in this to help anyway I can.

Jacob,

That's actually about where I am. early beta/late alpha. I am NOT happy with the computer AI as of right now, but I think I will have to wait for this until after the next patch.

That being said, I have been playtesting it for a while, and it is playable, but like a lot of Civ V... it can be "boring", or at least not as exciting as I want it to be. However, that's how I feel about CiV. cIV was rarely boring... I can not say the same thing about CiV. So, the game should be good to go. Let me try to set something up for release later this week.

Stew,

It would be nice to crop the map, but at this point it is fully Civ V. It has units, buildings, techs, etc...

Awesome! Just let me know when and we can stay in contact about the Mod. Look forward to seeing what you have so far.

Stew,

It would be nice to crop the map, but at this point it is fully Civ V. It has units, buildings, techs, etc...

There is hope for some day. Either WB will be enhanced, or someone could just write some lua code to dump the map in civ4 format. Should be pretty easy to do.

You should mod all Great People and Civpedia entries. It could be like Romance of the Three Kingdoms in how it provides historical info.

Also, this would be a great platform for diplomacy and (gameplay changing) new unit mods. Ninja and geisha. Kidnapping. Legendary items and/or royal gifts. Lots of stuff from Asian-themed games or Japanese folklore. Since it's become more of a focused strategy game, you have freedom to change mechanics and develop interesting new gameplay.

otaku,

Some of that is doable, some of it will be...
Some of that has been done, but relatively little. The main reason being that changing text is easy, but only useful if the gameplay elements are in good shape.

I have had a slow week or two working on the mod.

However, if anyone is interested in playing what is currently made (and I know there are a few text entries that are not correct), let me know, and I can send you the current mod.

Send me a PM or reply in this thread with an e-mail address that can receive an ~500 kb zipfile, which will include the mod files. I will include a brief e-mail detailing where to place the folder and other things.

As this is a beta-like mod, please do not post or share it.
I would also ask for feedback (obvious errors, typos, balance, etc...).
I will also upload the Japan map at some point (without the scenario information) as the map is complete.

-Zen Blade

Well, I have attempted to upload the first version of the mod. However, I have yet to see it appear online... If anyone knows about potential uploading bugs, please feel free to give some suggestions.

The upload supposedly worked, but after refreshing the box that lists the mods that you have uploaded, there is a red exclamation mark that says "denied"... so, ????

I will try to upload the mod here shortly.

I have just posted the zipped file as an attachment to the first post in this thread.
I may eventual move the location of the file (once I figure out why it is not showing up in the online mod arena), and I will also try to get some more information fleshed out.
This should not be seen as a finished product, but rather as a refined draft that is fully playable and enjoyable.

I have played several of the clans through 250+ turns and have never once come close to complete domination. The first ~50 turns can be kind of slow, but the action picks up very quickly once you become aggressive or attempt to start your domination.
If you noticed any bugs, please let me know. ALL OF THE GRAPHICS/ICONS are from Civ V... HOWEVER, some are for new units/buildings or altered units/buildings. Most of their Civilopedia files should be accurate, but I have probably missed a few things.
The intro screens are mostly incomplete.
Do NOT be surprised if your load time takes 2 minutes. Mine is usually around 90 seconds (1.5 minutes). However, I have not seen any fatal bugs/crashes in a long time...

Best of luck, feel free to ask questions, etc...

-Zen Blade

The upload process seems to have finally worked... NO IDEA why the first two attempts failed.

Zen Blade, I strongly recommend you add the following XML at some point to your mod.
Spoiler :
Code:
<GameData>
	<Civilizations>
		<Delete type="CIVILIZATION_BABYLON"/>
		<Delete type="CIVILIZATION_MONGOL"/>
	</Civilizations>
</GameData>
For those of us with the DLC.

Also, I've tried to load your scenario, but when I do all the leaders turn to Random Leader. Japan 1557 right? Load Scenario checked, then I lost all the leaders. I didn't count them, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was 22 slots of Random Leader.

I dunno if the DLC is related to it. I wouldn't be surprised, but I think it's a good idea anyway. It doesn't hurt and it sure helps.

Tssha,

This happens in all (?) the scenarios I have ever seen. Select one, load the game, quit back to the main menu and load the scenario again... Magically, the specific leaders/clan will then appear. I am also working on a large readme file, which I will with the mod. I will make sure that the readme file includes a list of the clans.

BUT!!!!

The 100 years scenario/mod definitely has a work around. Their leaders show up.

Top Bottom