New Stardock game: Fallen Enchantress

sounds promising... and its more like placing david duke up with al sharpton. either one you like, jon is the other one! and if you hate both, then he is both at the same time. Moderator Action: Please don't troll around here in the forums.

FFH did a deal in giving kael some "brand loyalty" among the civ base, so i hope his projects are successful in drawing in that audience and i hope that the unholy partnership here produces good games.

Jon wasn't the only person in the vicious inside circle making decisions for the civ games, and i am hopeful that this game, which captures elements of multiple genre's is as good as it looks. Only thing i found disconcerting is that there are several elemental games and i don't know how they work/expansion with one another and there is no real info, would i have to buy other games first, then this? is this an expansion or a true stand alone?

(btw, a true stand alone, means a new game to the saga not an "expansion" that can let you play with limited content if you dont have the original, this turns the expac into a paid demo. Dynasty Warriors Extreme Legends for example, is a "stand alone" expansion but it is not truly a standalone game, more like a paid demo).

Some of the screens show what looks like an MMO interface for battles, while another shows... is that my pet, Acheron? how did he get out, where are my beastmasters...

I have high hopes here and i only fear it wont live up to minecraft while it will hopefully be more than "ffh version of elemental" but i wouldn't mind a real FFH rpg -

we need an adult RPG where the hero's are not little kids living in a world of incompetent, inept idiots who need to have little kiddies go and kill the mean bad guy. We need a game that has in-depth, psychological storytelling, deep themed content and not all surface elements. And don't be afraid to use adult themed stories and moral challenges, where decisions are tougher than "give item to NPC 1 for item a and be good or give item to NPC 2 for item b and be evil".

Characters with deep stories make for a better game, and the elements of FFH placed within the civ-style of game what RPG's like Xenogears and Final Fantasy III (in america, 6 in japan) brought to the table. Breathe life into a genre polluted and dumbed down for "nextgen kiddies" and remember that adults need games too!

Assuming Stardock went bankrupt and bought by Fireaxis/2k

Civ5 after few patches wasnt crashing anymore, game was well done, although not as complex as Civ4, but more fun in simplicity and better graphic presentation

Fallen Enchantress should not be as buggy epic fail as Elemental was, I assume

you will see when master of arcane from paradox is out then

I wouldn't buy another game made by Jon Shafer if my life depended on it, I wouldn't play it even if it was free.

Thanks for you generous, thoughtful contribution.

I wouldn't buy another game made by Jon Shafer if my life depended on it, I wouldn't play it even if it was free.

This. I'm glad he's not working for Firaxis anymore, but I'm sad to see he's still working in the industry.

Sorry, Sirs, all this hatred for a single person is just ridiculous! A person, that you don't know personally and that was not the only responsible, for all decisions made.

Decisions, by the way, that where very brave and led the franchise to a promising future. C'mon, Civ had to take a new direction! Stagnation means death!

Hexes, 1 upt, range combat, CSs, limited strategic resources, unique UAs,.... all this where really great improvements. maybe you don't like all of them, maybe even not a single one. Others do (including me).

Hating a person because of being brave and trying to do things not seen before this point (at least, not in a civ game) might be considered as childish and narrow minded by some.

Keep your chin up, Jon! There are people here, that are able to appreciate what you did for the game!

Hexes, 1 upt, range combat, CSs, limited strategic resources, unique UAs,.... all this where really great improvements. maybe you don't like all of them, maybe even not a single one. Others do (including me).

I totally agree here. The much maligned 1upt was the perfect solution to late game stack of 50 units tedium, but... it's hard to make an AI for. That will be solved deep blue style if they ever, AHEM, release the game core DLL.

My main gripe with Civ5? No victory movie! It's like working and then not getting paid! One of my first jobs was selling car wax over the phone. They promised 'up to $500' per day, and the claim was true! But... with my sales intuition I was able to pull in exactly zero for the week. Then I quit.

Sorry, Sirs, all this hatred for a single person is just ridiculous! A person, that you don't know personally and that was not the only responsible, for all decisions made.

Decisions, by the way, that where very brave and led the franchise to a promising future. C'mon, Civ had to take a new direction! Stagnation means death!

Hating a person because of being brave and trying to do things not seen before this point (at least, not in a civ game) might be considered as childish and narrow minded by some.

Keep your chin up, Jon! There are people here, that are able to appreciate what you did for the game!

I don't hate a person for being brave, I hate a person for ignoring the fanbase and trying to remake a huge franchise to fit better with a dead series they felt nostalgic for. That's not brave, that's stupid.

He turned Civ from a respectable strategy game with challenges and depth into something that required no intelligence to beat on the higher difficulties. A game where the AI civilizations may as well have been Civ4's barbarians. They don't strive for victory, they strive for wiping you out and inconveniencing you, and they're awful at that.

Good riddance, though I hope he doesn't bring down Stardock.

I don't hate a person for being brave, I hate a person for ignoring the fanbase and trying to remake a huge franchise to fit better with a dead series they felt nostalgic for.

There are several problems with this sentence.

1. Hating someone for this reason and hating someone for being brave are equally absurd.

2. Attacking the straw man.

3. Drawing inspiration from previous work is fundamental to every kind of creative endeavor. In fact it can't be done without it.

4. The belligerant tone is uncalled for and quite shameful, especially when the person you are attacking with such nonsense is part of the conversation. It's rare to see such rudeness on Civfanatics.

They have their work cut out for them with FE. I'm rooting for them, it's a great idea and I'm a fan of Kael's work. Ironically, I suspect many of us (in this thread) have high expectations of future TBS games due to having played the FFH mod.

Top Bottom