Codefreak5's Fire Emblem Civilizations

codefreak5

Procrastinator
Here's one for all you Fire Emblem fans out there.

Might I present to you, the almost-finished...

Halidom of Ylisse

Enjoy, kids.

Leader:
Exalt Emmeryn of Ylisse

Unique Ability / Trait:
Renewal​
Ylisse gains 2 :c5influence: Influence with a city-state they are protecting each turn. Civs that declare war on Ylisse lose :c5influence: Influence equivalent to Ylisse's current amount of Influence with each City-State.

Unique Unit:
Pegasus Knight

Spoiler :

No they will not look like normal knights in the future
Those familiar with the Fire Emblem series will know their abilities, and I've tried to replicate them as best I can.

Replaces the Knight. 15 :c5strength: Combat, 6 less than the Knight.
+1 :c5moves: Movement. (5 total)
Ignores terrain-based movement costs.
Ability to fly over mountains; takes 50 damage if turn ends on one.
Can fly over shallow water. Ability lost when Embarkation is unlocked.
Can attack a second time if they have killed an enemy unit.
40% weaker to :c5rangedstrength: ranged attacks.
All abilities (except Blitz) lost with upgrade.

The icon looks blurry because I couldn't find a larger size for the picture I used. I think it will work, for now.
The flag icon will look prettier in the future. This is just a placeholder picture of what it will basically look like.

Unique Building:
Vanilla: Statue of Naga
G&K and BNW: Shrine of Naga

The Statue replaces the Monument. +3 :c5culture: Culture, +1 :c5happy: Happiness.
The Shrine replaces... well, the Shrine. +2 :c5faith: Faith, +1 :c5happy: Happiness.

It seems pretty dull to me because I couldn't really think of any buildings that would fit Ylisse, and I just came up with this in five minutes. Really could probably use some improvement.

Diplomacy Music:
Spoiler :
Peace - "But, Frederick, it's nearly dark!" - Fire Emblem: Awakening OST - Hirokia Morihorsehockya

Link to video.
War - "Don't speak her name!" - Fire Emblem: Awakening OST - Rei Kondoh

Link to video.

Things to do:
  • Pegasus Knight Unit Art
  • Modified UB yield(?)
    [*]Trait - Needs a name - Completed!
    [*]Dawn of Man text - Completed!
    [*]Shrine of Naga Icon - Completed!
    [*]Civilopedia Entries - Completed!
    [*]Pegasus Knight Flag Icon - Completed!
    [*]Unique Diplomacy Quotes - Completed!

A current version of the mod can be downloaded from the Downloads area here, or from the Steam Workshop.

It's nice to see that people have already made something like this (and therefore isn't impossible), but a major point of the Pegasus Knights in all of the Fire Emblem games is that they are all women. Since the mod will appeal to Fire Emblem fans (and subsequently be downloaded by them), I'd like the model to reflect this. I'm sure the models can be changed more for this, at the cost of more work, of course.

Thanks for the models; it'll make things much easier.

Oh, dear. While looking through the Commonwealth of Australia thread, I saw that the New Civilizations subforum is for completed Civilizations only... and this obviously is not.

If a randomly bypassing mod would move this into C&C, I'd appreciate it. And, sorry for the inconvenience and/or accidental rule-breaking.

Oh, dear. While looking through the Commonwealth of Australia thread, I saw that the New Civilizations subforum is for completed Civilizations only... and this obviously is not.

If a randomly bypassing mod would move this into C&C, I'd appreciate it. And, sorry for the inconvenience and/or accidental rule-breaking.

No problems; I've moved it now to the correct forum :). I like the civ icon you've done by the way ;).

No problems; I've moved it now to the correct forum :). I like the civ icon you've done by the way ;).

Thanks, Rob, for moving the thread and the compliment. All I did for the icon was find a picture of the Mark of Naga (a symbol highly associated with Ylisse in the game), change the colors a bit (from a black symbol on a white background to a white symbol on a blue background), and anti-alias the rough edges. I like how it turned out, though if I had Photoshop, I'd be able to apply those fancy effects from that "Firaxis-like" icon tutorial.

This mod is highly relevant to my interests

I'm afraid I can't help on the models, but I'll try and brainstorm some traits. The first thing that comes to mind is mimicking the support system by giving your units a combat bonus when near friendly units (friendly in this case meaning not your own) but 1) that's more Chrom than Emmeryn and 2) there is literally no way that will ever be useful in a game with AI's.

Also I hope you don't mind if my brain wanders a little bit and starts coming up with ideas for a Lycian League mod of my own >.>

This mod is highly relevant to my interests

I'm afraid I can't help on the models, but I'll try and brainstorm some traits. The first thing that comes to mind is mimicking the support system by giving your units a combat bonus when near friendly units (friendly in this case meaning not your own) but 1) that's more Chrom than Emmeryn and 2) there is literally no way that will ever be useful in a game with AI's.

Also I hope you don't mind if my brain wanders a little bit and starts coming up with ideas for a Lycian League mod of my own >.>

I was going for a trait that fits Emmeryn's personality, rather than something that mimics game mechanics - we already have the Pegasus Knight for that. So, peace/happiness/DoFs/et cetera.

I am glad to see I'm not the only Fire Emblem fan here. With all the different countries in the whole series, I'm surprised I haven't seen a single Civ of any of them - be it completed, in progress, or requested, either here on CFC or the Steam Workshop. FE's a gold mine of potential civs, just waiting to be created, with most of the required stuff already laid out.

You're free to do your own FE mods; I'd like to see more out there. I'd especially like to see, or even make, the rest of Awakening's countries - Plegia, Ferox, the Valmese Empire, maybe even Chon'sin and Rosanne, though info on them would be hard to come by.

Thanks for the feedback; it's nice to know people know this thing exists, and that they want it. It lets me know I'm not wasting my time.

Back to ModBuddy! Those diplomacy quotes won't type themselves into a table!

I'm working on a pegasus knight model (unfortunately not the female one you've requested, I'm converting the Civ IV one) but it's proving to be quite annoying! I'll post it in the Unit Graphics forums when it works in case you wanted to use it as an interim until someone makes one that actually looks like Cordelia or Sumia.

Also, just popping in to say I'm a huge FE fan! Awakening is one of the best games on the 3DS and I'm glad to see a Civ for it in development on here!

I'm working on a pegasus knight model (unfortunately not the female one you've requested, I'm converting the Civ IV one) but it's proving to be quite annoying! I'll post it in the Unit Graphics forums when it works in case you wanted to use it as an interim until someone makes one that actually looks like Cordelia or Sumia.

Also, just popping in to say I'm a huge FE fan! Awakening is one of the best games on the 3DS and I'm glad to see a Civ for it in development on here!

Something's better than nothing, I believe. I know the model's going to be quite difficult, so anything you can do for now is fine. I think the final version should take after the generic enemy pegasus knight, for the head, at least. Having five different Sumias or Cordelias flying around just doesn't seem realistic, while a bunch of identical-looking generics is slightly more so. On the other hand, this is an FE mod, and people would like to see their favorite pegasus knights flying around. If enough people show interest, I may put up a poll to see what people like best. But for now, it'll good to see flying horses instead of normal horses running over mountains - which is still pretty funny, by the way.

And like I said earlier, I'm surprised nobody else has made one of these. Fire Emblem's a gold mine of potential Civs. I hope someone makes more.

Thank for your feedback, S3rgeus, and good luck with the model!

New update!
The diplomacy quotes have been finished. Once I release a beta version (with icons and a trait), I'd like feedback on what she's saying, what she should say, and what she shouldn't. But, for now, greetings, tributes, and war will do.

A couple quick updates on how the mod's going:
The Shrine of Naga now generates +2 Faith per turn and adds 1 Happiness.
I can't find icons for the Pegasus Knight or the Shrine.
I still have no ideas for the trait. Arachnofiend said he was thinking of some, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Placeholder Pegasus Knight models are being made by S3rgeus.
Civilopedia entries for everything are being brainstormed.

Creative assistance will be very much appreciated. I'll try to keep thinking of things myself, but this would be a lot smoother if someone else lent me their help.

At the risk of sounding impatient, I would like somebody to say SOMETHING about this. It's hard to make a mod when nobody gives you feedback or expresses interest. Case in point: I'm the only person who's posted here in a week.

I worked out some bugs from the previous version, and started on Emmeryn's Civilopedia page. Civilopedia text for Emm, unit art, a trait, and unit/building icons are the only things I need now. You can find the most recent .zip in the OP.

Bet you're getting tired of me posting these updates, aren't you?
I got an icon for the Pegasus Knight and am working on Emm's Civilopedia page. It's about halfway done.

Testing reveals that Pegasus Knights can fly over coastal water tiles. Should that be allowed?

Icon and current version can be found in the OP.

Bet you're getting tired of me posting these updates, aren't you?
I got an icon for the Pegasus Knight and am working on Emm's Civilopedia page. It's about halfway done.

Testing reveals that Pegasus Knights can fly over coastal water tiles. Should that be allowed?

Icon and current version can be found in the OP.

Not tired of it yet, keep going! :p I'd say any mod will have a quiet time before it takes off as a finished product, it just depends on if you get there!

And yeah, pegasus knights flying over coastal tiles sounds good and flavorful.

Not tired of it yet, keep going! :p I'd say any mod will have a quiet time before it takes off as a finished product, it just depends on if you get there!

And yeah, pegasus knights flying over coastal tiles sounds good and flavorful.

Thanks, S3rgeus. I didn't see any activity for a while, so I got a bit nervous. A testament to my paranoia, I'm sure, but we'll just ignore that.

I've been messing around with icons today. Added alpha channels for the Civ icon, looking up an icon I can use for the Peg. Knight's flag, trying to get all the icons centered, and still looking up an icon for the Shrine of Naga. I don't want to use the Brand again, but I just might have to. Or, a picture of Naga herself. It could work, I think.

In addition, I think I've made a bit of progress on the trait. I'm thinking that Emmeryn would most likely go for a Diplomatic Victory (with Cultural being a second viable option, and Scientific trailing back; Domination, of course, is right out), so a bonus to Influence and/or extra resources from City-States could work, along with a bonus of some sort to both Civs in a Declaration of Friendship with her. Harald B did something much like this in one of his Civ mods, but I'd rather not rip off his trait and code, and be as unique as I can. I see a few tables in the Civ5Traits XML file pertaining to City-State bonuses that could be useful. I want to know what everyone else thinks before I go forward with this. Keep in mind that as a ruler of peace, Emmeryn will rarely go to war (on her own terms), and her UU is weaker than the unit it replaces, so the trait should balance this by providing a boost to the victory condition she's most likely to get. A name also has to be made; I've not had a good history with them.

Additional testing with the Pegasus Knight shows that they can fly over all shallow-water tiles, not just ones bordering land. I don't think this will affect them much; I rarely see a chain of shallow tiles linking landmasses together (though it has happened!). They can not fly over deeper water tiles, though, which I support; otherwise, they would become even more overpowered in the movement department. I'm almost thinking of removing the ability to move over mountains. Also, once Embarkation is unlocked, they can no longer fly over water, and must embark.

Once I get that done and finish up the Civilopedia (Half of Emm's page and Ylisse's page), the only thing that will be left will be the unique unit art; even if I just get the Civ4 conversion you said you were working on, I can put that in and push this into Beta. Anyone's free to test it, as long as they provide feedback on what they think works and what they think should be tweaked or changed.

Man, progress is exciting! Once I finish tinkering with all the icons, I'll put another new .zip in the OP, because you all deserve to be as up-to-date as possible with the files I'm doing things with.

(P.S: Take as much time as you need on the model, S3rg - by looking at the Unit Request thread, I can see you're busy with other things, so finish those up first. I can wait.)

Hmm... After some thinking I've come up with the following two-sided trait idea (will require lua, but should be easy enough):
  • When not at war with anyone, influence with city-states under Ylisse's protection rises slightly each turn.
  • When someone declares war on Ylisse, the attacker's influence level with each city-state is harshly reduced (perhaps by as much as Ylisse's own influence level with it).
The first part moves you towards diplomatic victory by non-violently standing up for weaker countries against the stronger ones, though the less peaceful stronger ones may consider it meddling and hate you for it. (And that is how the AI is likely to react, especially if you don't have the power to back your protection up.) The second part ensures that if/when your main competitor for diplomatic victory tries to force the issue by war, they'll lose so many city-state allies to you that you just need to survive that final war to win.

How about it?

Hmm... After some thinking I've come up with the following two-sided trait idea (will require lua, but should be easy enough):
  • When not at war with anyone, influence with city-states under Ylisse's protection rises slightly each turn.
  • When someone declares war on Ylisse, the attacker's influence level with each city-state is harshly reduced (perhaps by as much as Ylisse's own influence level with it).
The first part moves you towards diplomatic victory by non-violently standing up for weaker countries against the stronger ones, though the less peaceful stronger ones may consider it meddling and hate you for it. (And that is how the AI is likely to react, especially if you don't have the power to back your protection up.) The second part ensures that if/when your main competitor for diplomatic victory tries to force the issue by war, they'll lose so many city-state allies to you that you just need to survive that final war to win.

How about it?

Sounds good to me! Maybe you'd be interested in working on it? I haven't learned Lua, and I've still got work to do on the Civilopedia. And the unit flag. And a trait name. I could certainly look up a tutorial on here, but things go quicker when two people are working on different things at once.

News, everyone!

The OP looks a lot prettier now! I spent some time to format it and make it look nice and official.

You'll notice another picture for the Pegasus Knight - this is what it currently looks like. I specifically wanted to capture the flag icon I worked on.
Yes, it doesn't look as good as it could. A more experienced artist could do better - but this is only for the earlier versions. It'll get fixed later.

As always, the current version is in the OP.

Sure, I'll give it a shot. The OP doesn't seem to have the link in it though. I see "A current version of the mod can be downloaded below." and then no link.

Top Bottom