MP Mod Manager

Hi, I just wanted to anounce that I lost hope in 2k providing a decent multiplayer patch.

Thats why I started to develop a CiV MP Mod manager in cunjuction with a mod that enables the active ai to human diplomacy known from single player games in mp games.

This is how it works. In the newer releases it checks if all players have activated the same mods in the pregame lobby (this is an incomplete check and will be expanded in future versions).

Currently supported are mods with single lua-files (lua-files, that don't include modded lua files - e.g. mod that need lua files to be included in the vfs which don't replace original files won't work at the moment),
mods which import an altered gamecore dll,
mods that add mapscipts, even custom maps seem to work.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to support mods adding custom gui elements. But I'll have a look into it after I have solved the problems with multiple lua files.

I think mod's altering the gamedatabase or textdatabase can be supported in future versions.

I personaly have confirmed it to work with 2 simple mods:
JdH's Active AI Diplomacy in MP: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=215112942
City Limits: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=80071068
A work in progress version supports the following mod:
Unit Path Viewer: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=136124158
The work in progress version is not stable at the moment.

Great project, I hope you'll be able to extend it to most mods :goodjob:

I was working on a way to create a MP Modpack from my mods before my break, but if we can have a tool to select which mods we want, that would be fantastic.

I still have some ideas to test before abandoning the idea of making it possible from in game, then I'll go for the manual installation in the game's installation folder.

If I may ask, what's the problem for mods that need lua files to be included in the vfs ?

You can add new context by editing the original InGame.lua (example: adding a line with ContextPtr:LoadNewContext("CultureMain") ), and as long as the included Lua file (example: CultureMain.lua and all the related lua files) are in the assets folder, they should load.

Would it be possible to add some advanced setup options? Like the option to change how many players you can have on lets say a standard size map. I like having 10 players instead of 8 on a standard to keep it a bit more crowded and more things happening.

Had a 10 hour go during the weekend and it works very well. The only problems I have seen is that during diplomacy the screen sometimes locks up and you dont see anything happening. You need to press Esc to get it moving again. Example if you offer a deal you sometimes get a blank screen as response. But when you click Esc the response comes up.

Also sometimes there are options not working. Example my friend tried to ask for declaration of friendship with an AI and nothing happened. I tried and it worked for me. :S

just curious, has anyone tried to use mods that alter gameplay via Lua in MP ?

if so did you get desyncs ?

I am running these in MP:

Calypso's Colored Religious Icons (Basic) (v 4)
Civ Names by Policies (v 4)
InfoAddict (v 22)
JdH's Active AI Diplomacy in MP (v 3)

And if some of these alter gameplay via "lua" then no I have not had any desyncs.

General informations:
I haven't worked on the mod manager the last weeks because I wanted to wait for a patch anouncement. There wouldn't be use in working on the mod manager, if mods would be supported natively for mp games.

There are some problems with the mod checking known to me. I just forgot to fix them for a new build.

If I may ask, what's the problem for mods that need lua files to be included in the vfs ?

You can add new context by editing the original InGame.lua (example: adding a line with ContextPtr:LoadNewContext("CultureMain") ), and as long as the included Lua file (example: CultureMain.lua and all the related lua files) are in the assets folder, they should load.
I already figured out how those things work. I just forgot to update first post. In general: Most accurate source of changes is the changelog available at http://civ5.jaiiderherr.de

Would it be possible to add some advanced setup options? Like the option to change how many players you can have on lets say a standard size map. I like having 10 players instead of 8 on a standard to keep it a bit more crowded and more things happening.
I have no intentions to change setup options atm. But you can probably use mods with the mod manager, that change these.

Had a 10 hour go during the weekend and it works very well. The only problems I have seen is that during diplomacy the screen sometimes locks up and you dont see anything happening. You need to press Esc to get it moving again. Example if you offer a deal you sometimes get a blank screen as response. But when you click Esc the response comes up.

Also sometimes there are options not working. Example my friend tried to ask for declaration of friendship with an AI and nothing happened. I tried and it worked for me. :S
Nope, empty deal are still there.
Sometimes AI proposes to open borders without opeing borders.
During war France proposed peace but there wasn't peace treaty in deal, only open borders.
Sometimes AI begs you to give something with empty field.
Sometimes AI wants to renew deal without deal.
https://www.mediafire.com/?8mgn38wdlbxjj1p
Save, I'm india.
Hmpf. I really hoped those where gone since those didn't occure for me in my tests. I'll look into those at next weekend.

It is done through editing default value in
Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5Worlds.xml

Any possibility having "JdH's Active AI Diplomacy in MP" mod downloadable directly from civfanatics site?

@Adenru: Yeah I found out by doing some googling. But is it required by both the host and the players who join? Or is it just the host that needs it?

Thanks!

is there any way to remove that arbitrary-seeming mod limit of 6 mods at the same time?
Should be fixed now.

Any possibility having "JdH's Active AI Diplomacy in MP" mod downloadable directly from civfanatics site?
Not in current development state. I'm already forgetting to check (and update) all the boards I anounced my working on this mod.

I am running these in MP:

Calypso's Colored Religious Icons (Basic) (v 4)
Civ Names by Policies (v 4)
InfoAddict (v 22)
JdH's Active AI Diplomacy in MP (v 3)

And if some of these alter gameplay via "lua" then no I have not had any desyncs.

Thanks.

Jaii der Herr, your mod is a DLL mod, right ? do you have a resync (reload) at the end of the first turn ? at later turns ?

Thanks.

Jaii der Herr, your mod is a DLL mod, right ? do you have a resync (reload) at the end of the first turn ? at later turns ?
I have those often without mods. Didn't encounter more off those while using my AI Mod. But there are others having more time playing my mod. After the first turn I only had problems with map scripts that aren't fully mp compatible.

thank you.

I've got (a lot) more than usual when using my custom DLL, even with light changes, comparing to a modded MP game with only Lua changes...

Well, now I suppose I know what my modding week-end will be about... lot's of 50 turns MP games...

Mod manager not working anymore? Can't seem to get friends to connect anymore while using the same mods after the newest update to .10. It keeps telling us that players are using mods the host isn't using, no matter which way we try to build games.

As I don't have those problems in internal testings: Please submit the jdhmod.log and lua.log from both the host and the joining player.

As I don't have those problems in internal testings: Please submit the jdhmod.log and lua.log from both the host and the joining player.

We found it.

I don't have Spain DLC (Included in G&K, I believe, which I do have).

When he disables Spain DLC, he can join my games.

This did not occur prior to .10

Erm. InfoAddict not supported anymore? Because now suddenly InfoAddict isnt in my game anymore. When I click start CiV all mods are loaded and then removed again in the mod manager?

Erm. InfoAddict not supported anymore? Because now suddenly InfoAddict isnt in my game anymore. When I click start CiV all mods are loaded and then removed again in the mod manager?
Make sure steam is running. The mod manager tries to detect Civilization 5 start. But if steam is starting up first it cannot detect the civ start in time. The mods are then uninstalled, while steam gets up and civ is started. For anything else: jdhmod.log.

Top Bottom