List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

@Murphy613, Are any of the undead likely to be out soon? [Edit: I mean the zombie or diseased corpse.] I was hoping to add one in my mod before release next weekend...

Do any of you know how to reskin a unit to make parts of it transparent (not teamcolor transparent)? I thought I could perhaps reskin the zombie a couple of times to make variants missing a head or arm.

I am a total noob when it comes to 3D (and 2D occasionally). Did you mean delete those parts of the zombie model in Blender or delete those parts of the dds texture file?

You can delete parts of the Zombie model. You have to select a certain vertex and then delete it. I don't know how to select specific vertexes though, which is my main issue with converting units - that, and the fact that lots of fantasy units act up.

I don't know how to select specific vertexes though

That part's easy: In Edit Mode, hit Ctrl+Tab and select Vertices (there's also a button on the Edit Mode toolbar), and make your selection by clicking with the right mouse button. [And with the shift button held down, you can add additional elements to the selection. Click again to deselect.] Blender 2.4 Manual: Selecting Basics and Selectable Elements.

In the Civ 4 Download Database, there are Goblin units and Orc units (as well as Lizardmen and Urak-Hai, but that's not so important now), which, to my knowledge, are different names for the same thing. I want the Civ 5 Database to be a bit more organized, so what will we call these types of guys?

Shall we call them Goblins or Orcs? (Personally, I'm leaning towards Goblins here, but I want to build a consensus, especially among people who might be uploading Goblins/Orcs.) Also, if we decide on Orcs, will the guy in the middle of the image above be an Orc Archer, or an Orcish Archer. Please explain your answers.

I think I lose all my vertex groups when I load import a unit into Blender after exporting him from Nifskope as an obj. This is my Goblin Archer (the middle guy in the image above) in NifSkope:
Spoiler :
As you can see, he has vertex groups.
He here is, exported into Blender .via obj:
Spoiler :
As you can see, he has no vertexes. Also, he looks nothing like the Archer in the above screenshot. Lastly, I cannot get his quiver onto his back bec. I don't know how to turn units around in Blender, and this list of Blender Hotkeys in the tutorial doesn't help with that:
3D View:

Zoom - Mouse Wheel
Rotate Camera - Middle Mouse Button + Drag

Front View - 1 (Numeric Keypad - if you don't have one on your keyboard you can change the options to use normal number keys)
Side View - 3
Top View - 7
Shift + any of the previous three reverses the view so Shift + 1 is Back View and Shift + 7 is Bottom View

TAB switches between Object Mode and Edit Mode

General Blender Hotkeys:

G - Move selection (remember as Goto) (move mouse then LMB when done)
R - Rotate selection (move mouse then LMB when done)
S - Scale selection (move mouse then LMB when done)
A - toggles Select All/Deselect All
X - Delete selection

G followed by X, Y, Z - Move selection along specified axis
S followed by X, Y, Z - Scale selection along specified axis
S followed by a number - Scale by multipler .5 for half, 2 for double.
S followed by X, Y, Z followed by a number - Scale by multiplier along specified axis.
R followed by a number - Rotate the specified number of degrees.

Ctrl + LMB Drag in a loop - Lasso Select
B then LMB Drag - Box Select
M followed by X, Y, Z - Mirror selection in specified axis
Shift + D - Duplicate (Clone) selection

Object Mode:
Right Click to select an object
Right Click to select an object, then Shift-Right Click another to select another object to join it to, then Ctrl-J will join the objects into a single object.

Edit Mode:
Ctrl-P: Se(P)arate selection as new object.
Here is the zipped Archer file (from Civ 4, don't use this in a mod, people) if it helps:

Attachments

• FFH_AnnoyingGoblinArcher.7z
    111.7 KB · Views: 100
, so what will we call these types of guys?
The little guys with big noses are goblins. The bigger ones are orcs. So then you have Goblin Archers, Orc Archers, Orc Crossbowmen, etc. The settlers are a mix, so call them "Orc & Goblin Settlers". As a group, call them "Orcs & Goblins". (Modders can rename to suit their own purposes, but those are pretty "standard".)

Thanks again for all your effort on this. Wish I could help with the graphics...

Anyone knows how to import .ska to Milkshape?
Or any other software for that matter, I just need it to be able to export to .nif or .kf.
----
Also, when I export to .br2 I get an error saying the object has no name. It says something about 'obparent' but I followed the instructions from Deliverator's thread at risk, specially the part where I have to make it a parent.
I'm a total noob in this, so if I said something nonsense, credit it to that. :p

*big image*
Spoiler :

I already tried removing the cube but no success.

I think I lose all my vertex groups when I load import a unit into Blender after exporting him from Nifskope as an obj. This is my Goblin Archer (the middle guy in the image above) in NifSkope:
Spoiler :
As you can see, he has vertex groups.
He here is, exported into Blender .via obj

As you can see, he has no vertexes. Also, he looks nothing like the Archer in the above screenshot. Lastly, I cannot get his quiver onto his back bec. I don't know how to turn units around in Blender, and this list of Blender Hotkeys in the tutorial doesn't help with that:
Here is the zipped Archer file (from Civ 4, don't use this in a mod, people) if it helps:

Importing from obj will not import vertex groups. It doesn't support skeletons or vertex groups. If you use this technique then the bone weight copy is best as it can be used to copy the vertex groups of a Civ 5 mesh to an imported Civ 4 one.

Obj import will often reposition elements from custom Civ 4 units. This is because the internal structure if these NIF files is often very messy.

To rotate a unit in Blender you need to tab into edit mode, then use right click or Ctrl lasso select to select then you can use the rotate selection commons from the shortcuts you posted.

Top Bottom