Dad's Army civilization - Walmington-on-Sea (WIP)

Typhlomence

Magical Tomomo
Hi, I've been a on-and-off Civilization player for a while, but now that I'm developing a mod I intend to release I thought I should join and get some feedback.

After trying out a few new civilizations from the Steam Workshop in Civilization V, I was inspired to start making my own mod civilization, hopefully the first of several.

My first new civilization is based upon the British TV show "Dad's Army", which, if you don't know what that is, is a comedy about the antics of a sea-side Home Guard platoon. Captain George Mainwaring is the leader of the Walmington-on-Sea civilization.

I've started this thread as I wanted to make sure, regardless of how many people actually know of Dad's Army, that I made a civilization that would be interesting both being played as and against, and so would like some feedback from others. Since the Home Guard was basically a defense militia, I've tried to make the civilization good on the defense while making it play a bit differently to Ethiopia.

Their trait, currently called "Home Guard", increases the strength of Melee and Gunpowder units by 25% when they're attacked (essentially, the reverse of the Ottoman's Janissary), and also increases the defense strength and hitpoints of cities slightly (by using an invisible building). Their unique building "Swallow's Bank", replaces the normal bank and produces 37% extra gold rather than the normal 25%, and also produces culture. Would it be a good idea to add something to the trait to aid gold production in some way, to give it a more distinct flavour from Ethiopia?

The main thing I'm struggling with is making a useful but not overpowered unique unit. I know that it will be "Home Guard Infantry" and replace the Great War Infantry, and it will be cheaper to produce than the normal unit, meaning that Walmington-on-Sea can produce them to defend their territory quickly. However, I also thought that it would be useful to give them some sort of movement bonus in friendly territory, to represent their local knowledge - either having them ignore additional movement costs of any terrain and/or getting extra moves in friendly tiles.

Firstly, I'm not sure if that would make them overpowered, since an offensive player could produce a large amount of Home Guard Infantry easily and then be able to quickly move them to enemy territory, especially with the extra gold from Swallow's Bank. I could perhaps make their combat strength lower than normal Great War Infantry to compensate (it would also make sense in a way, since the Home Guard was usually not as well equipped as the regular army).

Secondly, even if it isn't overpowered, I'm not sure if I could implement it. I know I'll probably have to use Lua, and I don't have a problem with having to learn it, since I've been reading up on it on the Modiki and looked at some of the Lua scripts in the mods I've downloaded. From this, I understand that the GameEvent I'll need to attach to is most probably UnitSetXY. The thing that I have an issue with is that I can't see any way of altering the movement unless I get and set the current moves every time a Home Guard Infantry moves to a new tile, and I also believe that I will need to keep track of each individual Home Guard Infantry to ensure that I give and take the bonus movement when applicable (so it doesn't get applied multiple times when on a friendly tile, for example), including when the game is saved too. Is it that complicated or is there a simpler solution?

Thank you for your time, and sorry for a bit of a lengthy post - I would like to ensure that I thrash out a decent new civilization.

Attachments

• CivilizationV_DX11 2014-03-19 23-12-05-54_crop.jpg
    CivilizationV_DX11 2014-03-19 23-12-05-54_crop.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 317
Moderator Action: Welcome to Civfanatics! I've moved the thread to the main C&C forum, as the "New Civilizations" sub-forum is for completed new civilizations only. You're more likely to get help here too.

Good luck with the development of the mod; looks like it will be fun to play.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I apologise for putting this thread in the wrong place - I'll remember that in future!

Anyway, I have been doing more work on the civilization at the moment and I think it's going pretty well. I've used several of the mods I downloaded as a reference, and I'll be sure to credit them when I get to releasing this civilization. These are the main issues I still have right now:

1. The invisible building I'm using to up the defense of Walmington-on-Sea cities is not working at present. Below is the code I'm using for it. UPDATE: I made a Lua script to automatically add the building when Walmington-on-Sea founds or captures a city. I'm not sure if it's recommended to do it that way but it works. I also thought that by doing it this way, I could use it to add additional defense in later eras.

The building class (ignore the missing GameData tags - they are definitely there in the actual file):
    Code:
    <BuildingClasses>
            <Row>
                <Type>BUILDINGCLASS_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</Type>
                <DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</DefaultBuilding>
                <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</Description>
            </Row>
        </BuildingClasses>
        <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
            <Row>
                <CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN</CivilizationType>
                <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</BuildingClassType>
                <BuildingType/>
            </Row>
            <Row>
                <CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_MINOR</CivilizationType>
                <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</BuildingClassType>
                <BuildingType/>
            </Row>
        </Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>

The actual building:
    Code:
      <!-- This invisible building increases the defense of all Walmington-on-Sea cities. Based upon Tomatekh's dummy building for his Garamantes civilization. -->
        <Buildings>
            <Row>
                <Type>BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</Type>
                <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</BuildingClass>
                <!-- Invisible Buildings -->
                <Cost>-1</Cost>
                <FaithCost>-1</FaithCost>
                <PrereqTech>NULL</PrereqTech>
                <GreatWorkCount>-1</GreatWorkCount>
                <!-- Invisible Buildings -->
                <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</Description>
                <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING_STRATEGY</Civilopedia>
                <Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING_STRATEGY</Strategy>
                <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_WALLS</ArtDefineTag>
                <Defense>500</Defense>
                <ExtraCityHitPoints>20</ExtraCityHitPoints>
                <MinAreaSize>-1</MinAreaSize>
                <HurryCostModifier>25</HurryCostModifier>
                <PortraitIndex>59</PortraitIndex>
                <IconAtlas>ABILITY_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
                <NeverCapture>true</NeverCapture>
                <NukeImmune>true</NukeImmune>
            </Row>
        </Buildings>

This is in the trait for the civilization:
    Code:
    <FreeBuilding>BUILDING_WALMINGTON_DEF_EDIT_BUILDING</FreeBuilding>
  2. I decided to make the trait for Home Guard Infantry as being able to ignore terrain costs in friendly territory. I managed to get a Lua script working for it, so that's not the issue. The issue I have is that I'm not sure there's events in GameEvents that cover all the instances a plot can change owner DURING a turn. I could potentially check if the bonus can be applied when a city is founded or captured, but there doesn't seem to be an event that corresponds to a plot changing hands due to plot buying, border expansion through culture, or some other means like Citadel construction. For this reason I've kept it at just when the unit moves and at the start of each turn (checking all the units of the player and applying the bonus to any Home Guard Infantry who is eligible). I've documented this in my in-game text for the unit and promotion, but would this be acceptable? Alternatively is there a way to cover all instances of a tile changing owners?
  3. One of the big things I wanted to include was a comprehensive diplomacy text for Captain Mainwaring, inspired by some of the other civilizations I downloaded - I made templates for my own use from the diplomacy data from Huitzil's Touhou mods (he'll be credited, so don't worry about that), in fact. However, from my testing with Mainwaring as a computer opponent so far, he doesn't seem to actually use many of his new lines - instead I get the generic ones. Of course, I'm not sure whether this is a problem with my XML or the game simply not using many of the lines. UPDATE: It turns out I mistakenly duplicated some entries in the XML file that defined the actual text, meaning that all of the other responses were ignored. I've fixed that error and I'm getting his text properly now.

I've attached a copy of my current project folder, in case anyone would like to take a look and help me with the above questions.

Thanks in advance!

Also, some pictures of the Civilopedia entries (sorry for not showing them in the post - I can't upload to my old ImageShack account at the moment):
Civilization: http://imagebin.org/301158
Leader: http://imagebin.org/301160
Unique Unit: http://imagebin.org/301161
Unique Building: http://imagebin.org/301155
UU's special promotion: http://imagebin.org/301157

Attachments

• Dad's Army Civilization.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 41
I for one appreciate you doing a Dad's army civilization. I'm sorry there hasn't been any other responses, though it may be to do with it being based on a British 70s TV series and a lot of members might not be that aware of it. I remember when it was first on though!

Sorry that I can't help with the things you've mentioned, though it occurred to me that if we're in keeping with the show, Corporal Pike et al were no faster in their home territory than they were outside of it; could I suggest an alternative? Have them be able to do the worker's functions as well as the unit they're the UU of - fixing pillaged tiles being a priority. They could have no maintenance costs, helping the war effort.

It would be good to see Walmington-on-Sea designed as a one-city-challenge, perhaps with tourism bonuses (as opposed to playing the OCC with Venice as a mercantile civ).

Have them be able to do the worker's functions as well as the unit they're the UU of - fixing pillaged tiles being a priority. They could have no maintenance costs, helping the war effort.

Without a DLL mod, the AI won't use combat units as workers - AI Legions never build roads or forts, etc

Now that's something I didn't realise! What about if workers had the ability to be combat units - I take it the AI would use them only as workers?

Quite a long discussion on the issues of AI combat units not building/settling here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=511405

Given that the AI only uses the primary UnitAI type to base its decisions, on a worker unit with combat skills will almost certainly run-away from a fight (but not tried it)

I for one appreciate you doing a Dad's army civilization. I'm sorry there hasn't been any other responses, though it may be to do with it being based on a British 70s TV series and a lot of members might not be that aware of it. I remember when it was first on though!
To be honest I didn't expect a large response for this very reason. I'm not bothered, though - even if not many people end up playing it, it's been a learning experience (and an enjoyable one at that) and I do plan to make more civilizations in the future.

Sorry that I can't help with the things you've mentioned, though it occurred to me that if we're in keeping with the show, Corporal Pike et al were no faster in their home territory than they were outside of it; could I suggest an alternative? Have them be able to do the worker's functions as well as the unit they're the UU of - fixing pillaged tiles being a priority. They could have no maintenance costs, helping the war effort.
Don't worry about that - thanks for the feedback you do have!

When I made the UU, I was considering the Home Guard as a whole, rather than just the Walmington-on-Sea platoon, though Mainwaring did say in Brain versus Brawn that "brains, intelligence and local knowledge, those are our weapons. Not muscle and brawn". Hence why I decided on the unit ignoring terrain cost in friendly territory. No maintenance costs would probably a good idea since they're supposed to be volunteers.

It would be good to see Walmington-on-Sea designed as a one-city-challenge, perhaps with tourism bonuses (as opposed to playing the OCC with Venice as a mercantile civ).
I did consider making Walmington-on-Sea a one-city civilization a-la Venice, but thought that might be a hard job as my first custom civilization. I would not be adverse to trying it, though, since it does make sense (and Walmington-on-Sea is supposed to be a tourist destination).

I would, of course, need to re-plan the special abilities of the civilization.
  • I could probably keep the defense bonus for units and cities, so that while Walmington-on-Sea only has the one city, it will be hard to conquer.
  • The special ability of the Home Guard Infantry UU will probably have to change, too, since ignoring terrain costs in friendly territory isn't useful if Walmington-on-Sea doesn't have much in the first place (and then other civilizations who can take advantage of it might get it from a militaristic City-State). Your idea for having the Home Guard Infantry be able to repair pillaged improvments, or do other worker jobs (I was thinking farms, specially - like Digging for Victory?) makes sense and ties into the "good on defense" bit. Of course I'll have to add a note specifying that the AI will only use those abilities if whoward69's DLL is used.
  • Swallow's Bank could help with making some kind of Great Person who can make a Great Work, instead of (or in addition to) its culture bonus, and maybe have some spaces for Great Works as well. Perhaps I could also take a leaf out of Vice Virtuoso's book and allow Walimington-on-Sea extra National Wonders that have Great Work slots as well (like the newly released Vocaloid civilization).
The only thing with not being able to settle or annex cities - isn't that bad for tourism? I've read that India isn't a good civilization in BNW because it's designed around a few well developed cities, and tourism works best with lots of cities. Correct me if I'm wrong, though (also, I could only forbid Walmington-on-Sea from making settlers, while letting them annex conquered cities if Mainwaring decides to do a little warmongering).

If you let them annex cities, it will allow them a settler with the social policy that grants an additional settler. The line that disallows annexing also disallows this extra settler (so I've discovered). Again, it depends on how much you want it to reflect the show "Dad's army" but they didn't go around annexing other areas either.

Having extra wonders/buildings is an excellent idea. Depending on how much you know the show (or can read quick synopses of episodes) it would be nice to bring in some events or buildings that were in the show. Each of the characters had a civilian job, so perhaps you could have a unique building for each which added culture and/or another bonus relating to the building - the culture part to make Walmington-on-Sea a difficult one to beat culturally.

Part of the UU could be the French "city of light" one - gaining a theming bonus in the capital, giving them a leg-up to win the tourism/culture victory themselves.

I did read about the same thing regarding the Settler and that specific Liberty social policy. I was thinking I could use Lua or something to detect when that Settler appeared and either remove it or replace it with something else (like a Worker). That's if I wanted to keep annexing, which I have to decide upon. To be fair, Mainwaring would never be in a position to turn Walmington-on-Sea into a civilization and have the possibility of conquering stuff, so I'm not worried about him having the ability (or lack thereof) to settle/conquer/etc. at least in that respect. I want to make the civilization interesting to play as/against in a gameplay perspective while making it a decent representation of Dad's Army for Civ V, so that will have priority regardless if I choose the one-city-only route or not.

I actually have a guide book on the series that I've used a little bit already, and I can use to find suitable buildings to use for tourism. It might be hard to make icons for them but there are buildings like the cinemas and pubs that could be used to generate tourism (whether they'd have to replace existing buildings is another matter) as well as trying to find uses for Jones' Butcher's Shop, Frazer's Funeral Parlour, etc. Not too many, though, since I wouldn't want it to become overpowered!

They could be a one city civ - trade routes would be the black market (whoever that character was)

Jones' Butcher's Shop - +Food
Frazer's Funeral Parlour - +Faith

Okay, I was thinking about this. If I go the one-city route, then I would want to make sure that some of the unique buildings can only be built in the capital - any puppets would not be able to construct them - otherwise a Walmington-on-Sea player could get loads of tourism by conquering a lot of cities, making them puppets, and waiting until they construct tourism-generating buildings. For that reason, would it be practical to have some of Walmington-on-Sea's unique buildings replace National Wonders? For example, the Peabody Museum (from Museum Piece) could replace the Hermitage and provide tourism and more space for Great Works (sure, it was the Peabody Museum for Historical Army Weapons, but it's canonical at least), and St Aldhem's Church Hall could replace the Palace, as it was Mainwaring's headquarters. Buildings like Swallow's Bank could still be normal buildings as it would make sense for them to be present in other cities.

Of course, that assumes that puppets cannot construct National Wonders. It would also be a difficult to construct the National Wonders in the capital if their building requirements count puppets as well.

Well, that seems obvious now that you said it! :p

Anyway, I'm thinking I might make Walmington-on-Sea have either a better Swallow's Bank, or other ways to produce more gold, if it's to become a one city civilization. Since I wasn't going to give it an equivalent to the Merchant of Venice, any strategic or luxury resources from city states would have to come from having good influence, and lots of gold would help with that. Of course, Mainwaring could go on the warpath, too, but I don't want to make that the only viable option for him.

Okay, I've been distracted with other things (among them actually playing Civ V) but today I set to work converting Walmington-on-Sea to one city only.

Swallow's Bank now provides 50% gold rather than 37% (and double the original Bank amount of 25%), so Mainwaring should have plenty of extra money to use for things (such as getting city state influence). Also, these are the buildings that have extra tourism and slots for Great Works. Each produces +3 Tourism when Radio is discovered and has two slots for Great Works. The exceptions are the Opera House and Museum replacements - the former produces +4 Tourism and has one extra Great Work of Music slot, and the latter simply produces +5 Tourism. In regards to theming, those with two new slots use the same bonuses as the Museum - I don't know too much about how to define different theming so I thought that should suffice for the moment.
  • Temple -> St. Aldhems Church
  • Harbor -> Jolly Roger Pier
  • Stable -> Jones' High Class Butcher (I got it to replace the Stable since I thought it made sense that a butcher would require a source of animals to be constructed. I can easily change it to a food producing building such as the Granary if that works better gameplay-wise)
  • Workshop -> Frazer's Workshop
  • Zoo -> Stone's Amusement Arcade
  • Opera House -> Embassy Cinema (The cinemas that the characters attend to aren't named in the show, but several cinemas are given names in Bill Pertwee's book so I chose one of them to use)
  • Museum -> Peabody Museum
  • Stadium -> Cricket Ground (From the episode "The Test")
To keep it balanced, these buildings don't have any other advantages - the only difference is that they have the extra tourism and slots. They can only be built in the capital as well - done by defining the Palace as a requirement as per Rob's post. They do count as UBs internally, but I've mentioned the extra tourism and slots in the description for the trait.

I'll give this a test in the next few days to see if Walmington-on-Sea can produce enough tourism to be in with a chance of winning a culture victory, and I may add/remove trait buildings depending on how that goes.

Don't worry, I've still been working on this - I've just been testing it ingame by playing as Mainwaring. I've never played with one city before so it was definitely interesting!

It does seem like there's potential for Walmington-on-Sea to have influential tourism with other civilizations - I managed to become influential with China in this test game (tiny map, so only four civilizations). There definitely doesn't seem to be much of a chance for me to influence the mighty Siamese empire, though, since they're so large and have so much culture. I'm not sure whether that means that I need to add more tourism-generating buildings to Walmington-on-Sea or that it just won't win a culture victory against large civilizations. Granted, I was playing at the Quick game speed.

A couple of things showed up while I was playing, though. Firstly, a small visual problem with the unique unit. I used the British infantry from bernie14 as the model for the Home Guard Infantry. In game, though, the individual men are positioned very close together. I'm not sure why that occurs.

Secondly, China's empire was so unhappy that Guangzhou defected to me. I puppetted it, and noticed that, since the city already had buildings like the Workshop, that they were replaced by the special tourism-generating equivalents even though the Palace was not present in that city. It makes sense, but that wasn't intended behaviour. I'm thinking that maybe I should just use National Wonder replacements to avoid this. Also, another thing is that the "no annexing" part of the trait also controls the fact that you can purchase in puppetted cities, like Venice. Would that be a problem, balance-wise? I certainly was making plenty of money from both the capital and from trade routes before this happened...
Spoiler :

Other than that, it does seem to be working pretty well, and I am pleased with how Walmington-on-Sea performs as one city. Except for the fact that I was behind on research, but I don't think I was doing too badly on other counts (score was obviously below the others, but I had a better military rating than China).

Anyway, I've attached the civilization in its current state again.

Attachments

• Dad's Army Civilization 12-04-2014.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 42
It looks like it's coming along nicely! I have to say that whilst the Home Guard doesn't conform to the normal unit formation, probably it suits Dad's army not to conform to normal formation and to look a little "bumbly".

You have the unit formation set correctly as "unformed" - but I would suggest you try "HonorableGunpowder" as your formation, and see what that does.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that.

I was going to test the civilization some more yesterday, but unfortunately my main computer seems to have mysteriously stopped working and I haven't had any success in fixing it. I can probably still work on it on my laptop but I'm not sure how well Civ V will work on it so further in-game testing may have to wait until the other computer is fixed (or replaced, whichever has to happen).

So my desktop didn't take long to fix up but I still procrastinated on continuing testing. :blush:

Before I made any more changes I decided to finish the first test game I was playing to see what happened. I lost by time victory and my tourism ended up not being anywhere near becoming influential to Ramkhamhaeng's, but I suppose that's probably because he'd conquered nearly the entire tiny world I was playing on. Of course that also may be because I'm not highly experienced at Civ V, or that I was playing a 330 turn game. :p

Anyway, I've listed the trait buildings and the National Wonders I'm thinking of making them replace instead of the normal buildings (so that the buildings in puppetted cities don't get replaced by the trait ones - unless you think that might be better behaviour!). They will still have around the same extra tourism and Great Work slots for the moment - I'm not sure if I could increase the tourism output anymore without being ridiculous. Some of the replacements might seem a bit odd but I'm trying to keep the use of Walmington-on-Sea's landmarks where possible:
  • St. Aldhems Church - Grand Temple instead of Temple
  • Jolly Roger Pier - East India Company instead of Harbor (I might use a different place from Walmington-on-Sea altogether, so it makes sense if it's built in a non-coastal city)
  • Jones' High Class Butcher - Heroic Epic instead of Stable (It sort of makes sense since Jones was a highly-decorated war veteran. Also will have an extra writing slot instead of the two art/artifact slots, since the Heroic Epic already has one writing slot)
  • Frazer's Workshop - Ironworks instead of Workshop
  • Stone's Amusement Arcade - National Intelligence Agency instead of Zoo (Really doesn't fit - I might find a different place and use that to replace any of the leftover National Wonders instead)
  • Embassy Cinema - National Vistor Centre instead of Opera House (also will have the two art/artifact slots instead of the extra music slot)
  • Peabody Museum - Hermitage instead of Museum
  • Cricket Ground - Circus Maximus instead of Stadium

I have another small issue I'm stuck on, too.

The icon on the Strategic View for the Home Guard Infantry is not visible. I definitely made a new one for it, set VFS to true and made sure it was set in the SQL for the unit's art, but I haven't got anything appearing there. I've attached both icons I tried (I thought it might be the wrong size since the one used in Tomatekh's Garamantes mod was 128*128, but changing it didn't work), and here's the SQL that I have in the art definitions:
Code:
INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset)
  VALUES ('ART_DEF_UNIT_U_WALMINGTON_INFANTRY', 'Unit', 'SV_Walmington_Infantry.dds');

EDIT: I didn't have "Reload Strategic View" enabled at the time, but after ticking it, it still doesn't work, so it can't be just that (either that it doesn't take effect in a saved game, which I doubt).

UPDATE: I managed to get the Strategic View icon working - by defining it in XML instead. Not sure why but it's working now.

Attachments

• SV icons.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 50
:bump:

Hopefully you don't mind the triple post but since it's been almost two weeks since I posted last...

Anyway, I'm not really sure what else I need to complete with this civilization so I decided to test it again, this time with the AI controlling Mainwaring. Just to test how well it does with him, as well as test the comprehensive diplomacy text I gave him. I'm not expecting him to win but I hope he isn't a pushover, either.

There's a couple of changes since I last posted, though - the East India Company is replaced by "Walker's Black Market" instead of the Jolly Roger Pier, since I thought it fitted better, and I also added a replacement to the National Epic, Godfrey's Cottage. The latter has the same extras as the Heroic Epic replacement (extra Great Work of Writing slot, +4 Tourism at Radio).

Just one thing I encountered when I was setting up the game, however - I got this bizarre issue where my Settler had a "concert tour" button instead of a "settle city" button (it still settled the city when I clicked it, though), and I got this random promotion menu that wouldn't go away. After I unloaded the mod, started a clean new game, and then restarted again with the mod active, I didn't get it, but I was wondering whether anyone else had encountered that before.
Spoiler :

Top Bottom