Strange Battle Outcomes

Imperium08

Chieftain
I am at war with the Arabians, I am the Ottomans. Wierd battles are consistantly happening. Their archers are mauling my Veteran And Elite knights, while barely hurting my regular Knights. My Knights are trampling all over their Veterans and Elites, their Regulars are holding out effectively.

And their Archers are beating my knights, who have the same defense as their attack, 2, and my Knights are not beating their unfortified spearmen. All I can say is, WHAT THE HELL?

Has anyone else noticed this? This is on Regent.

And another player has discovered that the Random Number Generator comes up with truly random numbers. :D

That, and the fact that the combat routines don't concern themselves with superficial details like the kind of units involved, just their numeric A/D/HP values. ;)

Also, you should consider what terrain (and improvements) the units are on. Mountain tiles give 100 defense bonus, hills 50, etc. You have to be very considerate of these things, else you get Iraqed.

Originally posted by Imperium08
And their Archers are beating my knights, who have the same defense as their attack, 2.

This is to be expected. You said so in that line.

The random number generator has been the source of many tales of woe on this site. I have seen my tank stack brought to ruin by a single spearman and have lost a battleship to a galleon. Nothing surprises me now.

And let's not forget back in the old civ I days, when it was dangerous to attack Settlers with battleships...

Only yesterday, my army of 4 cav attacked a city which had a infantry defending it. I went from full health down to retreating from the battle with 1 life :mad:

But in the same turn, 2 of my single cav's took out a city if 2 infantry :goodjob:

There is no pattern, just try and keep the odds in your favour

I tweaked with the HP bonusses:

conscipt, regular, veteran and elite all have 3 HPs (but different retreat %).

ancient + medieval units: 0 HP bonus
renasissance + Napoleon units: 1 HP bonus
Indsutrial: 2 HP bonus
Modern: 3 HP bonus

It works really great.

Must admit that units can't become stronger due to fights but I really don't care about that nor do they heal outside cities. Really realistic but not good for gameplay, think aobut units defending colonies. Will ask the guys in C&C about that.

(must admit that I think I got the ultimate units stats for Civ3Vanilla)

If you're desperate you can remove 'Preserve Random Seed', so that you can save and keep reloading if they screw you. It's kind of cheating though.:rolleyes:

I've stated this before, and will likely say it again, I've lost an Elite MODERN ARMOR to a REGULAR WARRIOR! The game was not modded in any way, it was just a chieftain game, as I felt like killing everone, that I was far superior in ;)

BUT, I guess I wasn't THAT superior, as my ATTACKING MODERN ARMOUR (24 attack, if I'm not mistaken) was BEATEN by a WARRIOR (1 defense), not fortified, not in a city, and I don't remember what terrain it was in...

Originally posted by Mishrack
And let's not forget back in the old civ I days, when it was dangerous to attack Settlers with battleships...
Or the famous sentence: Don't mess with a veteran Phalanx
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Crowpocalyptic1
BUT, I guess I wasn't THAT superior, as my ATTACKING MODERN ARMOUR (24 attack, if I'm not mistaken) was BEATEN by a WARRIOR (1 defense), not fortified, not in a city, and I don't remember what terrain it was in...
Would it been Grassland;)

Originally posted by Crowpocalyptic1
I've stated this before, and will likely say it again, I've lost an Elite MODERN ARMOR to a REGULAR WARRIOR! The game was not modded in any way, it was just a chieftain game..
Use the Combat Calculator...

Combat Calculator

...to check the likelihood of an Elite MA losing to an unfortified warrior. Could your memory be faulty? ;)

Man, it seems like my elites are always weaker then my regular and veteran troops too. I always end up saving them till the end of a conflict and use artillery untill there's only one hit point left and even then i some times i lose my fully healed elites!!!!

Memory could be wrong, maybe it was a regular tank instead of a modern armor... or maybe even a mech infantry...

and maybe he wasn't elite...

i have a bad memory and sometimes my memory exaggerates...

:) Mine, too. A regular tank can lose against a warrior. And given the number of games of Civ3 that have been played and the number of combats that have been resolved, no doubt more than one tank has lost to a warrior.
That extra point of defense sure explains why the spearmen are the game's "tank killers" though, doesn't it?

willbill- i take it you're a latin student from your title huh? I know all to well the horror of latin....

Originally posted by Punkymonkey
willbill- i take it you're a latin student from your title huh? I know all to well the horror of latin....
Was a Latin student - many years ago. The title is about half of what I remember. Gallia omnes in tres partes divisa est. Okay, that's it.

Apparently you guys have never played an Axis and Allies game where, be it computer generated dice or irl, the 1 in 10,000 battle occurs about about every 10 games (it SEEMS like more...) :satan:

HOWEVER, as was mentioned in those forums, how many battles actually take place during a game? Let's say you have 500 battles per game. Shouldn't a 1/5000 battle occur once every 10 games? YES! And remember..... if you have a modern armor vs a warrior with no defensive bonus, as I recall the odds are 1/25 that the warrior can win each round. If the Modern Armor had 2 hp's left, and the warrior has 1 hp, then the odds are 1/25^2 that the defending warrior will WIN, even with no defensive bonuses. That's 1/625. If you have 625 battles in one game (and you know who you are... :p ), that SHOULD happen once each game (on average, not counting more complex statistics), right?? :eek:

My favorite calvary in my first Civ III game went from Regular to Veteran to Elite to Leader fighting only tanks. I named him the appropriate title "Tank Eater"..... :D

-- From The Cellar :cooool:

Top Bottom