New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I think the quality of Life stat could use some tweaking. I mean, if your people buuild Manshions and have great jobs, they will keep them is not interfered with...

Yay! A North King NES! If it survives, I will finally be able to see the great North King's Moding skill sin action!

On another note, I actually have to agree with emu that I don't like the size stat. I am all for realism, but I think the size stat is just going to far. Remember, the point of the stats in a NES is only to give a general idea of the position of a nation, not to dictate every possible future for a nation. The size stat is just cumbersome and constricting, it will undoubtably also make updates take longer (which, if one is to take experience to be a sign of the normal, should be a concern of yours [then again, who am I to talk?]) and it is possible to get an idea of a nation's size just by looking at the map, other stats, stories, and updates. Any Mod worth his salt should already be taking size into account when doing updates, wether positively or negatively. Having a stat also limits the effect of size. In some cases size can be a plus (see the Mongol Empire and how its size caused a rise in economy, living standards, education, and infrastructure), in other cases it can be a disadvantage, as your rules assume. I really think it would be better not to use a size stat as making it realistic would also make it much too complicated to handle.

Swissempire said:
I think the quality of Life stat could use some tweaking. I mean, if your people buuild Manshions and have great jobs, they will keep them is not interfered with...

Economic crash means people starving in the streets. Perhaps not the most realistic of stats, but you know, Economy is what your nation produces, not what you necessarily earn.

Israelite9191 said:
Yay! A North King NES! If it survives, I will finally be able to see the great North King's Moding skill sin action!

Oh dear. <_< I should take an alias.

On another note, I actually have to agree with emu that I don't like the size stat. I am all for realism, but I think the size stat is just going to far. Remember, the point of the stats in a NES is only to give a general idea of the position of a nation, not to dictate every possible future for a nation. The size stat is just cumbersome and constricting, it will undoubtably also make updates take longer (which, if one is to take experience to be a sign of the normal, should be a concern of yours [then again, who am I to talk?]) and it is possible to get an idea of a nation's size just by looking at the map, other stats, stories, and updates. Any Mod worth his salt should already be taking size into account when doing updates, wether positively or negatively. Having a stat also limits the effect of size. In some cases size can be a plus (see the Mongol Empire and how its size caused a rise in economy, living standards, education, and infrastructure), in other cases it can be a disadvantage, as your rules assume. I really think it would be better not to use a size stat as making it realistic would also make it much too complicated to handle.

I do not believe that the size stat dictates the future of a nation or anything like that; it play-balances things so that a larger nation cannot just have no worries at all, and it's also realistic (it would be much harder to build 50,000 roads than to build 5).

What I meant is that the more stats you have, the more you define the players nation and options rather than letting the player define his nation and options himself. Also, I did say that I thought that Mods should take size into account, just that it shouldn't be written out in stone on the first page with a number or word level. You know what I mean? Taking size into account is like taking tactics into account. We don't have a "player's strategic ability" stat do we? I know I am going to sound like the "old guys" that I have railed against fiercely in the past, but this stat is just over-complicating things. It is not necessary and the benefit is minial to non-existant while on the other side it will make updates take longer.

In summary, think of each stat you intend to add as a balance. On the left we have the benefit to fun, realism, etc. and on the right we have modability. What I am saying is that the scales are very lopsided to the right, the difficulty added to modability outweighs the benefits. Kapeesh?

I actually like the size stat. I.E. It take the U.S. Billions to build a national highway, whereas Luxembourg would like snap its fingers and be done;)

Israelite9191 said:
What I meant is that the more stats you have, the more you define the players nation and options rather than letting the player define his nation and options himself.

I got rid of a lot of stats, too. Population and area is one of those things that can be more easily defined, though, and I prefer it, like I said, for realism and balance's sake.

Also, I did say that I thought that Mods should take size into account, just that it shouldn't be written out in stone on the first page with a number or word level. You know what I mean?

I know what you mean, I just disagree.

Taking size into account is like taking tactics into account. We don't have a "player's strategic ability" stat do we? I know I am going to sound like the "old guys" that I have railed against fiercely in the past, but this stat is just over-complicating things. It is not necessary and the benefit is minial to non-existant while on the other side it will make updates take longer.

Population and area are actually quantifiable entities, I think they're more comparable to the military stat than anything else. If I was going for eliminating unecessary stats, I think a few others would be on my list. Yes, it is a narrow definition, but it playbalances, adds realism, and I'm fairly certain that it will be incredibly easy to take into account, given that I was doing it in my last NES and had no trouble with it, though it wasn't strictly mentioned in the rules.

In summary, think of each stat you intend to add as a balance. On the left we have the benefit to fun, realism, etc. and on the right we have modability. What I am saying is that the scales are very lopsided to the right, the difficulty added to modability outweighs the benefits. Kapeesh?

I understand what you're saying. I just don't think it's that big a deal.

But there's no point to having it written in the stats. Mods should already take size into account, just as an un-written rule. By keeping it un-written it still has the same effect on game play, it takes less time to update and the Mod is better able to use discretion in order to determine the appropriate result of large, or small, size. Keeping it unwritten just makes it easier.

EDIT: Responded to Swiss. After reading NKs post, I can see the logic. I still think it would be best to keep the rule unwritten, but I see how for different Mods different methods could work (especially if you're eliminating other stats in the process and stremalining things).

Wait... misinterperetation... I was nay-saying to the restart, not an NES at all.

I'm sorry, that really was an extraordinarily fun NES, which I enjoyed updating; the only reason I'm saying no to it is because I don't restart NESes on principle.

The prinicpal od STFU Iggy

Iggy, you really need a differnt sig. Those faces make all of your posts look sarcastic, which doesn't really fit your personality. Then again, I may be the only one who has this problem...

Hmm, it was a funny thing I said a few days ago.

I think I'm slightly more sarcastic in real life. What do you think it should be? Back to the penguins?

Lord_Iggy said:
What principle is that?

Well, when I was a new person, I felt as though the old people were being elitist and exclusive when I would open up a newly started NES, only to find that the old people all had the good nations, and there was so much history to catch up on.

Can you at least do the same type of NES? Random map that you have to explore? That NES was amazingly fun while it lasted...

Top Bottom