New NESes, ideas, development, etc

What about a fresh start, real world, with fantasy races? That might be interesting, eh?

To continue my grumbling from the other threads, I think there's a market for any NES.

By fantasy races - do you mean the bearded, pointy-eared dwarf elves, or does everyone just get to make up their own?

Flipping the world upside down and other such tricks might be of some help there too, yeah.

I would be all for one.

Can someone post a flipped map for me to use?

What about a fresh start, real world, with fantasy races? That might be interesting, eh?

Be still my heart. I have always thought you are the person to make such a thing happen. :love:

Can someone post a flipped map for me to use?

This is incredibly easy to do, all I needed was MSPaint and stuff. I suspect you will prefer to use an older map for some reason.

Spoiler :

Nah I'll use this one thanks LOE. I'm not too savy on MSPaint. I know how to zoom in and color pixels. I've been out of practice for years, so forgive me.

As a sidenote - while it's probably too much effort for something quick and simple like this, seeing that map makes me wonder about the effects that actually turning Earth upside down would have on the climate. Maybe someone who actually gets how maps work (North King?) could have something to say about that. It seems like there should be quite a few.

(While I was thinking about this I bumped into this old thing. Might be a good starting point.)

If you flipped the continents upside down wouldn't everything more or less remain the same? If topographical features remain constant, everything's the same distance from the poles as it always was, so climatic conditions should(?) stay as they were.

EDIT: Evidently not.

Well turning it upside down means also making west into east. changing everything around... That would play on climate a lot.

If you also made sure west remains west then nothing would change probably... Which means in your map LOE nothing would probably change.

Hmmm I'm getting uncertain about what I said. I guess to remain the same the Earth would also have to spin backwards?

The idea is that you're flipping the crust around while the atmosphere stays the same. Wind patterns would be different (mostly opposite) so precipitation across the landform would be different as well. If you flipped both, nothing would change and realistically you'd just be looking at the world upsidedown relative to how we normally do.

But the map would be different and that's all that matters!

More realistically, it'd be swell if someone could do a quick civilized zones/climate map using the Tortolia thing.

I have not yet spoken of my idea in the Brazilian forum. I already have four test subjects. :lol:

The world:

And so far I have five races: humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and eodais - that's a race we could call "dark elf". Basically it is a fantasy world almost similar to ours where there is magic that is so incomprehensible and powerful that it can drain the vitality of the user and transform it into a being insane or other undesirable effects.

Pretty cool link, Das. I was thinking about this very thing earlier today, glad we have found a tentative resource to answer these sorts of questions.

About the climate difference of a flipped earth, it would likely vary a lot. For example, Easterlies and Westerlies would change the direction of precipitation and air currents. Ocean currents would likely be disrupted, possibly leaving areas like Europe freezing and other areas unnaturally warm. The tilt of the earth's axis may cause a difference in sunlight as well.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Das post.

I'm thinking of creating a NES based on the colonization of a specific planet. It can be done in two ways:

-First Person: Each player creates a character, giving the NES the style of an RPG. Players would influence the course of a single colony established on a hostile planet, after the fall of their mothership. Unfortunately I've never seen a NES of this type survive for long.

-Factions: Each player take control of a colonization expedition, whether financed by governments, corporations or wealthy individuals. The NES then would focus on the struggle between the different factions for the control of the strategic resources of the planet. Alliances, betrayals, fights, exploration, etc.. This would become something like Botwawki 2.6 of EQandcivfanatic, but on another planet.

I would like to hear your thoughts, to find out if the theme is interesting, and what is the best model.
Have I mentioned than an Alpha Centauri-esque NES would be very cool?

But the map would be different and that's all that matters!

More realistically, it'd be swell if someone could do a quick civilized zones/climate map using the Tortolia thing.
I made one of those for Jaredia back in 2008... I'll see if I can find it.

First off: I'm back from my hiatus! Yay!

Second: I've noticed that besides good old Stockholme's NES, there doesn't seem to be any more nation-building NESes. I'm curious: Did people start losing interest in them or does no one have any ideas, or are they simply too difficult to mod. I'd be happy to contribute ideas for the setting, (Hell, anyone can: Just pick a few ideas from the books of www.uchronia.net) if anyone wants to make a nation-building NES, and I wouldn't mind sharing some of the mod busywork, but.... I couldn't make one by myself. I suck at drawing maps and I suck at creating rulesets and judging how much stuff a nation would have.

Please note that my little tirade was not meant to pressure anyone into a nation-building NES, (after all, you can't force creativity) but a signal that if anyone needed help, I am here.

EDIT: Just waiting for the huge angry backlash here...

Top Bottom