Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Sorry to ask such a noob "dummie" question, but, if I download and install via Steamworks, is there ever a need to use my DVD drive?

I only ask since my internal DVD has gone kaput and I thought I'd need to purchase a new one for Civ V... thanks

Mercade is correct; there is no need for an optical drive if you choose to download the entire game via Steam. In fact I haven't personally had an optical drive in my computer for over a year now, because I get all of my games via Steam :lol:

I'm trying to decide if I should get the game retail or via Steam.

If I buy the game from Steam is there any way to get a physical copy of the manual? Other than printing it out. (i.e. can I go to Kinko's and get demand printed version)

Also what will retail box content as far physical player ads. A manual (how big) any tech tree map, or list of improvements like in Civ 4?

I'm trying to decide if I should get the game retail or via Steam.

If I buy the game from Steam is there any way to get a physical copy of the manual? Other than printing it out. (i.e. can I go to Kinko's and get demand printed version)

Also what will retail box content as far physical player ads. A manual (how big) any tech tree map, or list of improvements like in Civ 4?

I would not expect even in the box retail version to have anything more than a 5 page "how to get the game installed and started" guide and the rest will be in a pdf file on the DVD. That is just how games are made now, small packages allow box retail stores to fit more product on the shelves.

But maybe like Civ4 there will be a strategy guide made and sold separately.

CS

It does not back up your saved games or mods or anything like that; just the core game files.

I'm assuming here that Civ5 will create a folder in Users/Username/My Documents/My Games/ so you can just back that folder up too. That way you keep your save games and prefs.

Yes you can copy&paste save files from the Civ5 Folder in the "Steam App's" Folder.
So you can manually back up all your saved games or mods or whatever.
The "Back Up" feature is for the core files only to save re-downloading them only.

Thier is a Steam Cloud system, which may be utilised which can store things like saved games and "settings" video settings e.t.c, so that no matter where you go "online" be it at your house or in another country, you can have access to all your settings and games immediatly.
This wouldn't help someone who wanted to back up these types of files who had limited internet connectivity.

no matter what package I end up buying, for these extra / bonus Civs, I presume we will have the option to purchase these sometime down the road via Steam? (i.e. its not like if you don't choose the option to grab this particular bonus Civ from the beginning you aren't simply SOL down the road, right?)

Steam is AWESOME, guys. You'll impulse buy so much good junk. I know I have.

Will there be Achievements like in other Steam games (I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but anyway)

Yes it was confirmed just last weekend by Dennis and Barry during the 100th Live Polycast, but details on what they are going to be is not released yet.

CS

I'm sorry if someone has already asked this, but will cosmetic mods be easy to make? Can I change the colours of the civs, the city lists, and the names of the city states (!) in the xml in some similiarly easy to use format?

Maybe it is me, but I am not anxious to have to get games from Steam. I am not saying they are good or bad, it is just another hoop I am being told I must jump through.

What happens when Steam goes out of business? What happen in 8 years, will I be able to count on Steam to provide Civ5 still? How many online business are still around from 8 years ago?

I have a number of games that are only 3 years old and the site is now gone and you cannot get the patches.

I am now going to have to wrassle with myself to pay for the priviledge of having to use a third party to play and upgrade civ5. Frankly I would like to see everyone refuse to do it.

I also recall the many times I have run into post about games bought on Steam and not working properly. That may not have been Steam's problem, but who needs it?

Quick question, I'm new to steam and have never used it but...

There's a high probability I'll have to upgrade my video card at somepoint (currently I'm kinda near minimum). I plan on buying the DVD version, but may try without upgrading my video card first (set settings on low, etc).

So my question is, if I validated on Steam with "old video card" and then made a change a couple weeks later, what (if anything) do I need to do with Steam?

I have a constant internet connection (always on). I'd like to eventually play in offline mode, but probably won't mess with it if I know I'll eventually be upgrading parts of my computer.

Thanks.

Quick question, I'm new to steam and have never used it but...

There's a high probability I'll have to upgrade my video card at somepoint (currently I'm kinda near minimum). I plan on buying the DVD version, but may try without upgrading my video card first (set settings on low, etc).

So my question is, if I validated on Steam with "old video card" and then made a change a couple weeks later, what (if anything) do I need to do with Steam?

I have a constant internet connection (always on). I'd like to eventually play in offline mode, but probably won't mess with it if I know I'll eventually be upgrading parts of my computer.

Thanks.
If the Steam Engine finds that your computer's configuration is "too different" from previously, then it will ask you to validate again. Otherwise nothing will happen and you'll be able to play the game just as before. Validating is a single occurance. You don't have to be on-line after you've validated. You can play in off-line mode with your old video card just fine. Only after you've installed your new video card you may once have to go on-line to re-validate and then you can go into off-line mode again.

Can I download the updates (patches) over many days (dial-up) aka pause-able downloading?

Yes but most likely you can't play the game until it has fully patched itself.

Top Bottom