Language translations for leader sayings

I am definitely sure that Askia speaks the Songhay language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_language

I don't know how they found someone who speaks it. I guess we have to go to Mali to translate it:cry:
Does anyone know which version of Aramaic Darius is speaking? It is more modern?
On Mohawk, Quechua, and Nahuatl, one could go visit the Mohawk reservation, Peru and Mexico for translation. Probably be too awkward though. Quechua and Nahuatl have many varieties, so we should find out which. My guess is that Pachacuti is speaking Cusco Quechua.
For Akkadian, maybe we should try to find a professor specializing in Mesopotamia.
Hawaiian shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Here's Alexander Defeated
How could this be? I am heir to the Gods! (Απολλο σας με ποσει βογιος τερεη

First-year Attic Greek student here. A couple of notes on Alexander's speech, presented in bold. Note that I've only learned Attic Greek, so there's a possibility I'm wrong on some of these.

Alexander the Great
Speaks Koine Greek.
Source: Guandao of Civfanatics
Intro: "Hello Stranger! I am Alexandros, son of kings and grandson of the gods! (Χαιρε ξενε. Αλεξανδρος ειμι, υιος των ανακτων και εκγονος των θεων!)"
Neutral Let's Hear it 01: "Go On. (Προσερχου.)" I'm not familiar with ου as an Attic Greek verb ending, but it may be one in Koine.
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: Listen. (Ακουω.) This is more accurately translated "I'm listening," ω being a first person singular present ending.
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: "Yes? (Ναι?)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 04: "Come. (Ελθε.)"
Neutral Yes 02: "(I Like It) Very Much. (Μαλιστα.)
Neutral Yes 03: "Excellent! (Αριστα!)" This is accurate enough, but Αριστα actually means "the very best." "Excellent" doesn't really capture how positive the word is.
Hate Hello: "What? (Τι?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 01: "You Say. (Ερ - Λεγεις.)"
Hate Let's Hear it 02: "And? (Και?)"
Hate No 01: "Not that! (Ταυτα ουχί δου!)"
Hate No 03: "You bastard! (Σουγε νοθη!)"
Defeated: possibly "How could this be? I am heir to the Gods", but it sounds like he mentions Apollo in the first part

Corrections added! Emailed a member of the Hawaiian Department's faculty, so here's to hoping for uber translations in the future. :D

It turns out that a member of the Hawaiian language department was the actual voice actor for Kamehameha!

It looks like there were many versions of each line initially conceptualized, so I am asking if the voice actor can verify which were used in the game and which not. All are interesting though, I may (with his permission) upload the others too.

And I will do translations for the upcoming Korea DLC. :D

It turns out that a member of the Hawaiian language department was the actual voice actor for Kamehameha!

It looks like there were many versions of each line initially conceptualized, so I am asking if the voice actor can verify which were used in the game and which not. All are interesting though, I may (with his permission) upload the others too.

And I will do translations for the upcoming Korea DLC. :D

What an awesome stroke of luck!

Yea, it looks like Firaxis asked a lot of university people to help out with their voice work. :D

Ok, removed Elizabeth and Washington from translations so we have room to add King Kamehameha and (I presume) King Sejong. :D

If I need to, I'll do that. For now there's enough space. I just worry that it would look awkward having the DLC civs' translations posted on a much later post down the page.

Insight on the voice-acting experience from Kamehameha's voice actor:
"Firaxis found me through recommendations from studios here, casting about for someone fluent in the language with a big voice. I don't usually do commercial work, but several studios are familiar with me (I'm a long-time teacher here, and have been recorded often). Firaxis said they were having the text translated and would deliver it quickly. I said I'd be editing it before I'd record it, as I would not be willing to record what I think is poor-quality Hawaiian.

Turns out they could not find a commercial translator for the Hawaiian text (they're rather rare), so I recommended one of our M.A. graduates in Hawaiian language. His expertise was accepted, and he translated the text. As a courtesy, he then worked with me to make sure I liked the wording and choice of idioms. Thus I was allowed to tailor the text to what I was comfortable expressing, and although he was the translator, I take responsibility for what got said and how it was voiced.

In the studio, I mostly tried to follow the director's lead on expression of text, volume, and quality of voice, but I had lots of flexibility. I'm fluent in Hawaiian and the director wasn't, so he listened when I had suggestions. Once we agreed how a line would be read, it was read that way. We did each line in one take, and then added a second take of each line for safety. It went pretty quickly, just over an hour. I met no other voice actors, and was alone in the studio. The recordings were done here in Hawai'i. The director was patched in by phone from somewhere afar."

Interesting, isn't it? I thank him for sharing his insights with us. Now that we've gotten tidbits from Augustus' voice actor, and also a podcast talk with Dennis Shirk (I think it was) about Montezuma having his voice acting done in a studio in Mexico, I think we can all appreciate the scale of Firaxis' voicework operations for Civ 5.

Now if only they'd used the Gloat, etc lines. Looking at the Kamehameha document the voice actor was kind enough to email me, there were many lines that weren't used. Interestingly, asking for tribute has 2 versions (hostile and non-hostile) in the document, yet neither version appears in the game, as AI don't ask for tribute as in Civ 4 (they just request aid if you're friends, which is odd, since Civ 4 fans are surely used to Genghis Khan/Napoleon/Montezuma/Darius/etc demanding tribute in return for not declaring war on us).

If people are interested, I'd be happy to post up some of the other lines that didn't make it into the game, but which were recorded for Kamehameha. Let me know if you are!

Yeah, it was! I never suspected the actual voice actor would be from the university. :D

Ok, some interesting lines not in the game. Not included are various greetings, separated into friendly, neutral and unfriendly, as well as more specific responses to trade offers, such as "Almost, but not enough". Also, he had "goodbye" lines recorded too, probably for when the player left the leader screen, and I presume these were cut to make the game take up less space. I really wish they'd included some of the originally recorded different versions of "Request trade" in the game, though:

KAMEHAMEHA REACTS TO HIS BLUFF BEING CALLED (That is, he threatened war if the player didn't give him what he wanted; the player refused, but he’s not really willing to go to war at this time)

“Another time, perhaps. [Not, perhaps, at this time.]”
“'A'ole paha i këia manawa.”

“Careful where you tread [with your actions], friend.”
“E akahele i käu hana, e ke hoa.”

“You are wiser than what was prophesied by my Kahunas [priests].”
“'Oi a'e kou kamai ma mua o ka mea i wänana 'ia e ko'u mau kāhuna.”

KAMEHAMEHA GLOATS AFTER WINNING A WAR
“The Great God Kū has sided with [watched over] me and victory is mine in this battle. His will is thus – let us leave aside our quarrels so as to not raise the ire of Kū any further.”
Na ke akua 'o Kü i kia'i mai ia'u a ka'a maila ke eo i këia kaua 'ana. Pëlä nö kona makemake – e waiho käua i ka hukihuki i mea e ho'opi'i 'ole ai i ka inaina o Kü."

KAMEHAMEHA SUBMISSIVE AFTER LOSING A WAR
“Pele honors you with her dance. You are the one she favors, friend, but do not hope to enjoy her loving attentions forever.”
“Ho'ohanohano 'o Pele iä 'oe me kāna hula. 'O 'oe kä kona makemake, e ke hoa, akä, mai mana'olana 'oe i ka luana mau 'ana i kona aloha no nä kau a kau.”

KAMEHAMEHA HAS BEEN DEFEATED AND REMOVED FROM THE GAME
“It was foretold in the stars that I would be the ‘killer of chiefs’. This is not the outcome I predicted, but prophecy must be fulfilled.”
“Ua wānana 'ia ma nä hökü o ka lani, 'o au ana nö ka 'mea pepehi i nä ali'i’. 'A'ole nö këia ka hopena a'u i mahu'i ai, akä na'e, ho'okö 'ia nō ka wänana.

“My people shall write a chant about your victory. Perhaps one day we will understand why the gods abandoned [turned their backs on] us.”
“E haku ana ku'u po'e i mele pili i kou lanakila 'ana. I kekahi lä paha mākou e 'ike ai i ke kumu a nä akua i hulikua mai ai iā mākou.”

“Boundless is my love for my people who have lived in prosperity under me. I hope you will continue to do the same.”
“He palena 'ole ku'u aloha no ku'u mau po'e i noho pömaika'i ma lalo o'u. Mana'olana au i ka like o käu e hana aku ai.

KAMEHAMEHA RESPONDS TO A DEMAND FOR TRIBUTE FROM PLAYER (When neutral)
“While I had hoped you would ask nicely, it is always good to share wealth.”
“'Oiai, ua mana'olana au i käu noi 'ana mai me ka 'olu'olu, he maika'i nö ke ka'ana like 'ana i ka waiwai.”

“Alas, I have no bounty to part with. You must go back empty-handed.”
“Auë, 'a'ohe a'u mea e hä'awi aku ai iä 'oe. E huli ho'i 'oe me ka neo.”

DEMAND FOR TRIBUTE FROM PLAYER if friendly
“Of course it's possible. Aren't friends supposed to share wealth?”
“He mea hiki wale. 'A'ole anei ka pono o ka hoaloha, 'o ke ka'analike 'ana i ka waiwai?”

“I see today is one made for jokes!” ((Laughing))
“A 'ike ihola au, he lä kēia no ka hana ho'omäke'aka!”

KAMEHAMEHA DEMANDS TRIBUTE (if friendly)
“My friend, you have not given your fair share for the hula.”
“E ke hoa, 'a'ole 'oe i ho'oka'a pono a'ela i käu mahele no ka hula 'ana.”

TRADE OFFER FROM PLAYER (if unfriendly)
“I do not see a reason for you to swindle me. Please improve your offer [that which you will give].”
“A'ole au ike i ke kumu no käu äpuka 'ana mai ia'u. E 'olu'olu, e ho'opi'i a'e ke külana o kāu mea e hā'awi ana.”
"Sadly, that's not good enough."
“He minamina… 'A'ole lawa kënä.

DEMAND FOR TRIBUTE FROM PLAYER (if unfriendly)
“According to the stars, it would be right for me to agree, but I do not understand the reason.”
“Wahi a nä hökü, he pono nö 'au i ka ae 'ana, akä maopopo 'ole ia'u ke kumu.”

“If I were to agree to these requests, I would become an offering to the Kahunas [priests].”
“Inä, 'ae au i këia mau mea noi, he möhai au na nä kahuna.”

KAMEHAMEHA REQUESTS A TRADE (if unfriendly)
“We have had our difficulties in the past, but perhaps we can begin to make amends.”
“He mau pilikia ko käua i ka wä i hala, eia na'e, hiki paha iä käua ke ho'omaka i ka ho'oponopono 'ana.”

KAMEHAMEHA DEMANDS TRIBUTE (if unfriendly)
“Everyone should make a small donation for the upcoming feast.”
“Pono nä känaka a pau e lülü mai i kekahi mea no ka pä'ina.”

KAMEHAMEHA DECLARES WAR
“I have lifted the ‘Naha Stone’ and yet you continue to stand against me. Prophecy declares that I must unite the lands, and you are nothing but a hindrance before me.”
“Na'u i häpai a'e i ka pōhaku 'o Naha, a mau nö käu kü'ë 'ana ia'u. Wahi a ka 'ölelo wänana, he pono ka'u ho'ohui 'ana i nä 'äina, a he älaina wale 'oe i mua o'u.”

“The Law of the Splintered Paddle has been trod upon for the last time. As a father disciplines his dear child, I shall weep while I destroy you.”
Ua hehi 'ia Ke Känäwai 'o Mämala Hoe no ka manawa hope loa. E like me ka ho'opa'i 'ana a ka makuakane i käna keiki aloha, e uë ana au ia'u e pepehi ana iä 'oe.”

KAMEHAMEHA REACTS TO BEING ATTACKED
“You dare ignore the sacred Law of the Splintered Paddle? Our conflict saddens me greatly, but I must protect the well-being of my people/nation.”
“Ke käpae wale nei nö 'oe i ke Känäwai Mämala Hoe? He mea ho'okaumaha loa ko käua hihia ia'u iho, akä pono au e pale aku i ka pono o ko'u aupuni.

At this point, my mistaken trust in you is apparent, as is the error of my sharing of the bounties and good fortune of this land. I will stop you from being able to do the same to others.”
I këia manawa, 'ike 'ia nö ko'u hilina'i hewa 'ana iä 'oe me ke ka'ana pü 'ana i ka waiwai o nei 'äina. E ho'opau ana au i kou hiki ke hana like i ka po'e 'ë a'e.”

“You have taken advantage of my hospitality and deceit is what you have given in return! It is obvious now that I misjudged you and your true intentions.”
Ua ho'owalewale 'oe i ka'u ho'okipa 'ana, a 'o ka hana 'epa käu i hä'awi mai ai! 'Ike 'ia nö, ua kuhihewa ho'i au iä 'oe a me kou 'i'ini 'oia'i'o.”

“Why? Are all of the things we've given you not enough? Does your greed have no limits?”
“No ke aha mai? 'A'ole 'anei lawa nä mea like 'ole a mäkou i hä'awi aku ai iä 'oe? He palena 'ole käu 'älunu?

Quotes
"Motivate yourselves toward the righteousness that I have given you, which is endless."
"E ʻoni wale no 'oukou i ku'u pono, 'a'ole e pau."

Yeah, no idea where we can get modern Aramaic speakers who speak English. =|

That said, I'll be able to do much of the translating for Isabella and King Sejong/Queen Seondeok (Korean leader, once he gets released).

Aramaic is close enough to Hebrew that I can understand much of what Darias says, and my Hebrew isn't even very good. If I remember correctly, for instance, he opens by saying "Shalom Alekh, ana Darioush, melech malchaya, paresh raba, l'hanfen h'yadaat."

Based on what I know of Hebrew, that's roughly speaking, "Peace be with you. I am Darius, King of Kings (blank), pleased to meet you."

Cool, would you be able to translate Darius' other sayings, including his "Attacked," "Request trade," "Peaceful" etc? :D

Credited you in the opening post.

I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this already, but there seem to be English translations for a lot of the leader's dialogue under:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\Gameplay\XML\NewText\EN_US\LeaderDialog

It may not be as accurate as the translations we already have from native speakers of the languages though.

Excellent find, thank you. Some are not that accurate (and noticeably more flowery, compare the two versions of Gandhi's war-related texts), and the sound files may or may not match with the dialogue translations in the text, but still! Might be able to get good stuff for Monty now. :D

EDIT: I seriously doubt Monty's "attacked" reaction is the "Attacked 1" provided in the text: "Now I shall destroy you!" It's one of the other two, the question is which one.

Also, where do we find the DLC civ XML? Curious to see how they match up...

The translations for the DLC leaders were found under the following for me:
Nebuchadnezzar: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\LeaderDialog
Genghis: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\DLC_01\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\LeaderDialog
Isabella and Pachacuti: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\DLC_02\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\LeaderDialog
Kamehameha: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\DLC_03\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\LeaderDialog
Hope that helps! :)

Yeah, the majority of the XML text is not the actual translation I think. The actual translation is probably "Die, die, die!" which is also in the text but never appears in-game (for some reason).

Thanks Tsuchinoko for the file locales! Notice how Nebuchadnezzar has "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" as a response to being declared on, and mentions CHEESE. Lol! Some Firaxis employees had fun there.

What really irks me is that Wu Zetian has a LOSEWAR_1 message, but the sound file for it is missing in the game, so when you make peace with her in-game, she simply changes her expression after a moment of screen lag.

Top Bottom