Parthenon?

obsolete

Deity
I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I’m been wondering about the feasibility to place our 3’rd city down in a spot with high production, or at least many trees in order to grab the Parthenon. We are going up that route with pre-recs anyway, and it would maximize our SE economy.

The thing I don’t like (besides the artist pollution), is it obsoletes at sci-meth. And since it’s unlikely we will get marble soon (or anyone else I think), that’s going to cost 400 hammers. A trade of 4 settlers seems a little steep for this short a wonder.

On the other hand, doing some figuring here, with our early forges and mono, we’d only have to put in 267 hammers, so a little more than 2.5 settlers worth. Though we can also tech up math to drop the price down to just under 9 forests.

I may be getting ahead of myself here.

I agree ;). We're 3 turns in, I dont think this is the ideal time to start thinking into this much detail about the parthenon, too many things could change between now and then to render this discussion (wait for it....) OBSOLETE!:lol:
That having been said, I thought that I read somewhere that being Phi somewhat diminishes the effect of the Parthenon as it already takes shorter lengths of time to get GP's anyway...

PHI indeed diminishes the effect of the Parthenon, compared to running the same SE and not being PHI. That's just maths. But since you probably wouldn't run that same extreme SE if you weren't PHI, that kind of discussion is sort of moot. Parthenon adds +50% to GPP, so with PHI it basically reduces the time until the next GP by 20% (250% compared to 200%). With NE in the ring, its effects are reduced down to ~15%. That's certainly nothing to sneer at.

I like Parthenon. What I dislike is painting an even bigger target on ourselves, militarily and diplomatically. I'm undecided on this one - and I do think it's a bit early. ;)

In THEIR minds, I think it's the one with the collosus that is the big target. The way there's been so much worry about Collosus in the Lighthouse thread, makes me suspect the financial leaders must have had some nice sea-food resources.

I'm tempted to make a bogus complaint there on why do we have so many marble and stone resources at our starting location, just to stir up the pot a little more :p

I'm tempted to make a bogus complaint there on why do we have so many marble and stone resources at our starting location, just to stir up the pot a little more :p

:lol::goodjob:

concerning colossus:
i wouldnt build it. we are going down a heavy SE, so we very likely will never ever work sea tiles without seafood in (and up to now, i dont see much of said seafood). lets the fin civs have it and work water tiles (colossus is such a poor wonder... ...it seduces you in working water tiles for short term profit, making you neglect cottage growth for it:crazyeye:)

panth:
nice to have but no must. must be placed in a heavy prod city with the goal of NEVER EVER generating a GP there. real problem here is artist pollution (backed by the points niklas mentioned about %). get 1 artist instead of a scientist and you have LOST all advantage of the wonder

I agree ;). We're 3 turns in, I dont think this is the ideal time to start thinking into this much detail about the parthenon, too many things could change between now and then to render this discussion (wait for it....) OBSOLETE!:lol:
That having been said, I thought that I read somewhere that being Phi somewhat diminishes the effect of the Parthenon as it already takes shorter lengths of time to get GP's anyway...

Of course we are way ahead of ourselves, but this is more fun to talk about than "I agree, move warrior 1 SW"! :lol:

Alright, I have just 'FOOLISHLY' released some very important DIS-INFORMATION regarding our start & other resources in the public forum. Now when ever the private forums are made public, I'm very curious to see how much snickering and they are doing behind my new-bish back. :p

if you really wanna give others this impression, simply ask an admin to delete obs post... ..IF obs post is gone within some hrs by the hands of an admin THAT will really confirm what he said

I was going to suggest something like that -- or edit the post to just say "oops" or "redacted"

I think if we're isolated, Parthenon is doable. If not, those hammers would be better spent on settlers and defense. Again, way too far ahead to really make a decision on, but this is my two cents. And lol at the stone marble post...

panth:
nice to have but no must. must be placed in a heavy prod city with the goal of NEVER EVER generating a GP there. real problem here is artist pollution (backed by the points niklas mentioned about %). get 1 artist instead of a scientist and you have LOST all advantage of the wonder

Don't know about that, GAs and GAs have the same abbreviation for a reason ;) Still, when there's the NE already supplying those 4% Artists...

Considering 1) Land will be premium on this map (based on Niklas' demographics magic :) ) 2) We'd want to build Parth in a stellar production city 3) A stellar production city means ample food, which means it would also be a good GP city 4) Not using a good GP city because of this is very bad because of "1)" ; I doubt we will be able to very feasibly pull off Parth without Marble in a way that the pollution won't matter. Parth culture benefit will obviously also be nixed because of the map. I don't like going for it based on the current info at least.

Now, despite what obsolete said I don't think the others will regard Parth as a valuable grab, and they most certaily won't even consider it without Marble. So we could perhaps grab it "late" as a slow build in some ~bad city.

Alright, I have just 'FOOLISHLY' released some very important DIS-INFORMATION regarding our start & other resources in the public forum. Now when ever the private forums are made public, I'm very curious to see how much snickering and they are doing behind my new-bish back. :p

Obsolete, can you edit your post now to no longer have your mislead? Don't put "oops" or anything like that -- make it look like you are genuinely trying to undo what you just said. I think that will complete the deception. Otherwise, I think we may not get bites because of how long teams will have to think about it.

To be honest, I was already planning to do something like that after the post last night. I will do it now that we all are in agreement. No over-playing it either.

---

Alright, I ran the old PLEASE DELETE trick.

Murphy's law though, I bet the only ones who noticed it were a few rookies who are probably too clueless to know what to do that with kind of information, or even recognize it as any importance. :p

I doubt anyone fell for it, but it's fun nonetheless.

Oh, and a "please delete" won't work since no one will think you stupid enough not to know that you can delete it yourself. :p

Well, you can't delete them, but you can edit out the offensive parts.

Top Bottom