List of Useful & Free Software Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSPad - this a excellent code editor. Lots of differenet languages, can do lots of adjustments to how things are set out, and easy to use once you've worked out how to install properly (remember the extract from the zip file properly)

Norton Internet Security (Latest version preferable)
You can get things such as ZoneAlarm, Spybot and avast for less than that costs. For nothing actually. Plus, note the name of this thread: Free software, not 70$ for what could be gotten for free software.

stickciv said:
Plus, note the name of this thread: Free software, not 70$ for what could be gotten for free software.

Yes, this is the thread for free software. But I can't help noticing that it actually doesn't have to mean only free software. "List of Useful & Free Software Programs" means List of Useful Software Programs & Free Software Programs...:mischief:

Here's another two I don't think have been mentioned:

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - Create Virtual Machines linked to Virtual Disks to run Operating Systems within a virtual environment. Excellent for trying out Linux distros, and also for enjoying retro moments with your old games on Windows 95.

innotek VirtualBox - An alternative to Microsoft Virtual PC which also supports Linux.

EDIT: Thunderfall, when are you going to update the list on the front? Last time you did was February this year... :)

Yes, this is the thread for free software. But I can't help noticing that it actually doesn't have to mean only free software. "List of Useful & Free Software Programs" means List of Useful Software Programs & Free Software Programs...:mischief:
Norton is neither free, nor useful. There are much better ways out there for people who have even a grain of computer knowledge
EDIT - when someone says blank 1 and blank 2, both those blanks have to be fulfilled, it is an AND statement, not an OR

That doesn't follow the principles of sentence structure. "Useful" and "free" describe the software programs. As such.. the software is both useful and free. Not one or the other.

That doesn't follow the principles of sentence structure. "Useful" and "free" describe the software programs. As such.. the software is both useful and free. Not one or the other.

Oh dear...I know it isn't proper structure, I should have said "it could be thought to mean ... ". What about a silly example like, "Packet of plain and chocolate-chip cookies" - I take that to mean the cookies inside are a mixture of plain, and choc-chip.

Just so this is not completely off topic:

BBC iPlayer - Download and watch televised BBC programmes from the past week if you live in the UK. Currently in beta, but more programs are being included, and the service is supposed to be improving constantly.

Kaspersky Version 6.0 on Amazon.

Now you're thinking: That costs money!

Yes it does: $50 USD

However, Version 7.0 came out, so...

Kaspersky needs to get rid of Version 6.0!

Use the mail-in rebate, and you can get it free! ($50 USD rebate)

It is reported to have better detection rates than all the other anti-virus brands via independent study.

And it has lots more features and can scan stuff other programs can't, including rootware (Modifys computer to avoid being detected) and jokes.

Kaspersky Version 6.0 on Amazon.

Now you're thinking: That costs money!

Yes it does: $50 USD

However, Version 7.0 came out, so...

Kaspersky needs to get rid of Version 6.0!

Use the mail-in rebate, and you can get it free! ($50 USD rebate)

It is reported to have better detection rates than all the other anti-virus brands via independent study.

And it has lots more features and can scan stuff other programs can't, including rootware (Modifys computer to avoid being detected) and jokes.
See? Thats better. Although, its still inaccessible for anyone without a Credit Card.
Anyways, a nice free proxy and adblock tool:
Privoxy

Not sure if its been mentioned though.

Window Customization Programs

Window Blinds

Window Blinds

Window Blinds is not free software, a free trial doesn't count as free ;). If it was free, it would be an amazingly good deal, since it is a powerful program (looks cool). Does it use a lot of CPU power though?

Window Blinds is not free software, a free trial doesn't count as free ;). If it was free, it would be an amazingly good deal, since it is a powerful program (looks cool). Does it use a lot of CPU power though?
It uses enough to make you wish that you weren't running it. While it might be unnoticeable on a high end C2D system, It eats up about 3 or 4 % of my CPU if I run it. IMHO, just find a skin made for XP and use that, you dont really need the pretty effects..

A favourite of mine is FreeMeter. Comes in both free and "professional" versions. It allows you to track CPU, RAM and Page File usage (as well as HD capacity, uptime, disk access speed, and averages for access/CPU use) as well as a few other useful things. It uses very little CPU and memory to boot!

A favourite of mine is FreeMeter. Comes in both free and "professional" versions. It allows you to track CPU, RAM and Page File usage (as well as HD capacity, uptime, disk access speed, and averages for access/CPU use) as well as a few other useful things. It uses very little CPU and memory to boot!

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Ctrl+Alt+Del

What the Task Manager can't do is display all of those modularly on the little panel. It can only display your CPU, and you have to have it up to see the others. FreeMeter puts little bars for each seperate thing you want displayed.

What the Task Manager can't do is display all of those modularly on the little panel. It can only display your CPU, and you have to have it up to see the others. FreeMeter puts little bars for each seperate thing you want displayed.

If you look under options, there's all kinds of crap that you can display with the Task Manager. Also, Microsoft has a enhanced version of the TM, Process Explorer, which can be set to replace the TM...

If you look under options, there's all kinds of crap that you can display with the Task Manager. Also, Microsoft has a enhanced version of the TM, Process Explorer, which can be set to replace the TM...
Ah yes, Process Explorer. Handiest tool ive seen yet from MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom