Share your games!

Not a bad game up to that move. Just a note, Black could also have played b6 to trap the bishop in that sort of situation.
On a positive note, I have won against my highest rated opponent yet. It says it was a timeout, but don't let that fool you, my last move had him beat :). 2000 doesn't look too far off now!
Here's the link!

Not a bad game up to that move. Just a note, Black could also have played b6 to trap the bishop in that sort of situation.

True, simply a horrid move in every way.

Nice game from you though, liked the agressive pawn pushing in the opening :goodjob:

I've played some very good (and a few fairly bad :blush: ) OTB tournament games lately, I haven't had a chance to put most of them into PGN format though, may be awhile but I'll post some of the better ones when I do. I broke 1800 USCF today :), beating two 1900 players (and a 1700 player, lost one to a 2167 & one to a 1978).

True, simply a horrid move in every way.

Nice game from you though, liked the agressive pawn pushing in the opening :goodjob:

Thanks! Openings aren't my strong suit, but I think that was one of my better ones.

@Narz: Congrats on 1800 USCF! Thats only 200 off Master isn't it?

I've played some very good (and a few fairly bad :blush: ) OTB tournament games lately, I haven't had a chance to put most of them into PGN format though, may be awhile but I'll post some of the better ones when I do. I broke 1800 USCF today :), beating two 1900 players (and a 1700 player, lost one to a 2167 & one to a 1978).
Congrats Narz!

Thanks guys! :)

@Narz: Congrats on 1800 USCF! Thats only 200 off Master isn't it?
200 off from Expert (166 technically :D), Master is 2200. Still quite a ways away but a goal. :)

Looks like my chess.com vacation will run out in a week now. I'll find a way to make my moves in the next few days, still no home Internet but I'll try to find a way to keep up to date.

Hello! ... I was playing with a friend of mine, and this position arose suddenly... (attached files)... , white to move... and I realize that the d pawn maybe is lost... so I was thinking of creating some sort of counter-play. I thought Be3, followed by Nc6 (assuming that black will protect his knight on a7 ... what do you guys think? , what could improve or stabilize the position. (for white).

:goodjob:

Attachments

• spiel carlos  julia.JPG
    spiel carlos julia.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 72
what could improve or stabilize the position. (for white)

I'm not sure it's proper to comment on a game in progress but I did take a quick look.

Spoiler :
Your position is totally winning. Not only are you up a full piece but your position is also completely crushing. There move that comes to mind is indeed Be3 developing with tempo.

If black lets you take the knight off you are up 2 pieces with an easy win so let's say he protects it by Nc8. I would be very upset if you played Nc6?? You have a much better move, try and find it.

Spoiler :
Bc5!! trapping the queen.

So, Nc8 doesn't work, black can try to guard the knight with Ra8 to get an extra square to put the queen on but then Bc5 anyway skewering the queen and rook. After Qd8 you win the exchange with Bxf8. Up a full rook it should be a very easy win.

I'm not sure it's proper to comment on a game in progress but I did take a quick look.

Spoiler :
Your position is totally winning. Not only are you up a full piece but your position is also completely crushing. There move that comes to mind is indeed Be3 developing with tempo.

If black lets you take the knight off you are up 2 pieces with an easy win so let's say he protects it by Nc8. I would be very upset if you played Nc6?? You have a much better move, try and find it.

Spoiler :
Bc5!! trapping the queen.

So, Nc8 doesn't work, black can try to guard the knight with Ra8 to get an extra square to put the queen on but then Bc5 anyway skewering the queen and rook. After Qd8 you win the exchange with Bxf8. Up a full rook it should be a very easy win.

Great! , I ended up winning, but I didn't see that one... thx a lot man... nice vision. :)

I'm enjoying my chess vacation, should be back playing by next week. ;)

Just finished this game, which almost resulted in my giving up chess!:eek:
Yep, I was that annoyed with myself. Spoils my 100% record with the King's Gambit too:sad:.
From now on I am taking a lot more care with my games.

I have never played the King's gambit in my life. That said;

8. g3 looks somewhat strange to me. Is this a thematic move in the King's gambit? Otherwise developing a piece seems like a generally better idea than pushing the pawns in front of your King.

10. Qd2 Looks to be a wasted move, at a glance Ng6 follwed by taking the bishop seems like the plan. Also ruins castling for black.

11. Qc3 Since I don't play the King's gambit I may well miss something but isn't the Queen better placed on d3 eyeing the g6 square and keeping c3 open for the knight?

17. Rad1 This can be a good idea but did you consider keeping the rook where it is and start pushing the pawns on the queenside? Black is obviously going to castle there...

19. Nd6+ Devestating tactic leaving black a full rook down. Well spotted, you are completely winning after this.

22. Qd2 I like this move. The idea is to get the Queen out of the way and start a queenside pawn push to attack black's King and open lines for your extra rook, right?

24. Qb4 You just moved the Queen to d2, if you thought b4 was better then why not play the Queen there on move 22? Also, what did you plan to do if black play Rg8 here? Move the Queen back to d2?

27. Nxe6 On every move you must examine all checks and captures to see if you can meet them. Failure to do so can result in the game ending abruptly. Also, when you are a full Rook up you almost cannot lose unless you make a horrible blunder. You should always think defense first. As long as you don't allow your opponent any chances you will win in the end with your extra material.

All in all I'd say you had a terrific game with lots of chances to win. All you have to do next time is to keep a closer look on your opponents counter-chances and you'll do fine. Personally I have that feeling of what's-the-use-I-might-as-well-quit every now and then when I do badly. Ultimately you just have to decide if you think it's fun to play or not. So far I have decided that I think it's fun even if I screw it up every so often.

I have never played the King's gambit in my life. That said;

8. g3 looks somewhat strange to me. Is this a thematic move in the King's gambit? Otherwise developing a piece seems like a generally better idea than pushing the pawns in front of your King.

10. Qd2 Looks to be a wasted move, at a glance Ng6 follwed by taking the bishop seems like the plan. Also ruins castling for black.

11. Qc3 Since I don't play the King's gambit I may well miss something but isn't the Queen better placed on d3 eyeing the g6 square and keeping c3 open for the knight?

17. Rad1 This can be a good idea but did you consider keeping the rook where it is and start pushing the pawns on the queenside? Black is obviously going to castle there...

19. Nd6+ Devestating tactic leaving black a full rook down. Well spotted, you are completely winning after this.

22. Qd2 I like this move. The idea is to get the Queen out of the way and start a queenside pawn push to attack black's King and open lines for your extra rook, right?

24. Qb4 You just moved the Queen to d2, if you thought b4 was better then why not play the Queen there on move 22? Also, what did you plan to do if black play Rg8 here? Move the Queen back to d2?

27. Nxe6 On every move you must examine all checks and captures to see if you can meet them. Failure to do so can result in the game ending abruptly. Also, when you are a full Rook up you almost cannot lose unless you make a horrible blunder. You should always think defense first. As long as you don't allow your opponent any chances you will win in the end with your extra material.

All in all I'd say you had a terrific game with lots of chances to win. All you have to do next time is to keep a closer look on your opponents counter-chances and you'll do fine. Personally I have that feeling of what's-the-use-I-might-as-well-quit every now and then when I do badly. Ultimately you just have to decide if you think it's fun to play or not. So far I have decided that I think it's fun even if I screw it up every so often.

Thanks for the analysis! Looking back over it I wince at 10.Qd2 in particular - I realised how bad a move it was straight after moving. I think I do just need to analyse my opponents moves as well as my own. The reason for g3 was kinda prophylactic in that I saw g4 coming and wanted to put my knight somewhere other than e1. Probably not best - I don't think the opening went too well, to be honest.
Also I think I should, when looking at the position in correspondence, play over the last few moves to get an idea of what my plan is - othewise I can occaisionally lose track eg.24. Qb4 is definitely a horrible move - I was optimistically hoping to snatch the rook! Same goes for 11.Qc3 - hoping to move the pawn and discover on the rook - I agree Qd3 is better.

I thought I'd share this game from the Swedish division 3 played only a few hours ago. Unfortunately I didn't play very well. In fact, I dropped off a pawn for no apparent reason. First time I can remember dropping material in a slow game for some time now. I managed to stir up some slight complications and was very lucky to escape with a draw in the end.

I was white against a 1911 ELO on board 2 (of 8). Time control is 40 moves in 2 hours then another hour for the rest of the game.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 d6

While I get this in 10 minute games all the time I believe it's the first time I face this opening with this kind of time control.

4. d4 exd4 5. Nxd4 Bd7 6. Nxc6 bxc6 7. Bd3

Bc4 might look superficially more active but I didn't see a way to prevent d5 forcing it to move again. Something like Nf6, 0-0, d5. Besides, if given the chance I would like to play c4 restricting his center.

7...Nf6 8. O-O Be7 9. c4 O-O 10. Nc3 Rb8 11. b3 Re8 12. f3

The first questionable move. This is probably too slow. I was thinking it prevented Ng4-e5 but of course he gets his knight there anyway.

12...Be6 13. Bb2 Nd7 14. Qc2 Ne5 15. Rad1 Qc8

I'm thinking I want to play f4 at some point. (Which is an indicator f3 was not a good move.) While my white squared bishop isn't that great at the moment since I could save it I decided to do so. Since I have more terrain it makes sense to prevent black from untangling his pieces somewhat, I can exchange it for his knight if he goes to g4 after I play f4 and not giving him the chance to swap it off creates a tactical possiblility.

16. Be2 Qb7 17. h3

This move might look a bit odd but there is a point behind it. It takes away the g4-square from the knight after I have played f4. That might not sound like much at first but as you might notice it actually now threatens to win a piece with f4. If Nd7 the bishop is lost after f5, if Ng6 f5 is a fork and there are no other safe squares to go to. Black can throw in a check if he wants to but then I figured he would have to deal with the threat and it's not immediately clear where to place that knight.

Unfortunately I had somehow missed a square and my position collapsed immediately from what I considered great to losing in one move.

17...Nxc4

Black does not have to retreat with his knight after all. I rarely miss this sort of thing in 3 hour games but there you go. In a normal game I might even have resigned here but certainly not in a team game. (The point being of course that Bxc4, Bxc4, bxc4 now the bishop on b2 is hanging with Qxb2 and I lose a pawn.)

18. Bxc4 Bxc4

My bishop was pretty bad and his knight was threatning all sorts of havoc. While you generally want to avid trades when behind this one was neccessary.

19. Rf2 Be6

I was very happy he didn't stay on the a6-f1 diagonal with Ba6. Still losing but not as badly as I feared.

20. Kh1 Bf6 21. f4 Qb4 22. Re2 Bc8

Quite okay move I'm sure but it does interfere with the rooks on the back rank and creates some complications.

23. e5

For example, taking 3 times on e5 is not possible now due to the back rank mate.

23...dxe5

I thought about fxe5 and maybe that's okay. His extra pawn would be doubled but I thought his position was still much superior with the bishop pair and the light squared bishop comming to the long diagonal. In the end I went with more complications.

24. Ne4

If the bishop moves I can perhaps play Bxe5. Things might not look so bad.

24...Bb7

Interesting move. I considered Nc5 and/or fxe5. I saw nothing better than taking the bishop.

25. Nxf6+ gxf6 26. fxe5

Here I actually thought I might no be losing anymore. Threats like Rd4 or Re4 followed by Rh4 and/or Rg4 looked good for me. Unfortunately he found a move to stop both those rook moves.

26...c5 27. exf6 Kh8

While his back rank is weak my bisop is out of play and his counter chances are very dangerous. I still don't know if Re7 is something here but I couldn't make it work in the time I had (20 minutes for 13 moves).

28. Rxe8+ Rxe8 29. Qe2 Rg8 30. Rg1 Qh4 31. Qe3 Bc6 32. Kh2 Re8 33. Qxc5

Maybe Qd2 or something holding f4 was better.

33...Qf4+ 34. Kh1 Bxg2+ 35. Rxg2 Re1+

Unfortunately for me the sacriface was good. Rg1 leads to a quick mate so I have no choice but to give the queen.

36. Qg1 Rxg1+ 37. Kxg1 h5 38. Ba3 c5 39. Bb2 a5 40. Kh1 c4

With the clock on the verge of running out I complete my 40th move and get another hour. He had more time than I did but made a mistake on his 40th move. After a4 his passed pawn would decide the game with ease. But after c4 things are not quite so easy.

41. bxc4 Qxc4 42. a3 Qf4 43. Kg1 Qe3+ 44. Kh2 Qf4+ 45. Kg1 Qe3+ 46. Kh2 Qf4+ 47. Kg1

He took the perpetual checks for a draw. I'm not sure if there is a win for black here. I would tend to think there is somehow but it's not that easy to figure out without a computer. In any case, this draw was enough to secure a draw in the match, 4-4.

Game without comments
Spoiler :
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 d6 4. d4 exd4 5. Nxd4 Bd7 6. Nxc6 bxc6 7. Bd3
Nf6 8. O-O Be7 9. c4 O-O 10. Nc3 Rb8 11. b3 Re8 12. f3 Be6 13. Bb2 Nd7 14.
Qc2 Ne5 15. Rad1 Qc8 16. Be2 Qb7 17. h3 Nxc4 18. Bxc4 Bxc4 19. Rf2 Be6 20.
Kh1 Bf6 21. f4 Qb4 22. Re2 Bc8 23. e5 dxe5 24. Ne4 Bb7 25. Nxf6+ gxf6 26.
fxe5 c5 27. exf6 Kh8 28. Rxe8+ Rxe8 29. Qe2 Rg8 30. Rg1 Qh4 31. Qe3 Bc6 32.
Kh2 Re8 33. Qxc5 Qf4+ 34. Kh1 Bxg2+ 35. Rxg2 Re1+ 36. Qg1 Rxg1+ 37. Kxg1 h5
38. Ba3 c5 39. Bb2 a5 40. Kh1 c4 41. bxc4 Qxc4 42. a3 Qf4 43. Kg1 Qe3+ 44.
Kh2 Qf4+ 45. Kg1 Qe3+ 46. Kh2 Qf4+ 47. Kg1 {3-fold repetition}

Top Bottom