The worst possible news at the worst possible time.

Little Raven

On Walkabout
Katrina's wrath goes farther than we thought.
At least 20 oil rigs and platforms are missing in the Gulf of Mexico and a ruptured gas pipeline is on fire after Hurricane Katrina tore through the region, a US Coast Guard official said. "We have confirmed at least 20 rigs or platforms missing, either sunk or adrift, and one confirmed fire where a rig was," Petty Officer Robert Reed of the Louisiana Coast Guard told AFP.
That would be bad. Really, really bad.This lays it out nicely.
In short, the Gulf area hit by the storm is basically in about the same shape as Biloxi. The damage numbers you have gotten from the government and analysts are, in my opinion, much too low. We are looking at YEARS to return to the production levels we had prior to the storm. The eastern Gulf of Mexico is primarily oil production...

Loss of the MARS platform alone cost us 95,000 barrels a day for a year or maybe more.

YEARS, people. I know what this means - hope everyone else gets it too...
I don't know what to say except that I hope none of this is true. If it is...the world will not escape the impact.

Agreed, it will coz the oil to go up further more. just when some ppl tot that the oil has peak (buffett). thou the US can release some of her SPR(which coz the oil to rise also) i see this will have a prolong effect and dent the economy a little.

Not good, but it might be able to encourage a move toward using more renewable fuels.

Hey look everyone the perfect excuse for greedy oil companies to raise their prices even though its bs and they have enough oil to last.

Maybe this will cause some money to be granted to finding a synthethic alternative to gasoline. Hell, I'd take a synthethic alternative, even if it does cause more pollution. If it's cheaper, then can just raise the gas tax and use that extra money to continue development on a better non-pollutant version.

Boy, watching the news these days is just too depressing. Does anybody get the feeling America is going down the crapper? Everyday it’s something new. US soldiers getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, car bombs, massive flooding in New Orleans, destruction of oil production facilities around the gulf, billions of dollars down the drain, an increasing debt, a flat stock market, rising fuel prices, and prospects of severe oil shortages. *Sigh*, maybe I should get rid of my TV... :(

The news media is working its magic on you.

I think we're going have open up those oils fields in the Alaska Wildlife Preserve. The Middle East has at least a few nuts blowing something up; and the Gulf of Mexico has a few storms blowing something up. Conservation programs and new energy sources (while they should be developed to help solve the energy problem in the long run) wouldn't help the short term outlook.

I don't like the idea, but these are desperate times, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

I think the golden age of easy convenient living in America and other first world nations is coming to an end. Everyday it becomes more apparent with fewer oil reserves and more demand. We have to face the facts that gasoline will eventually become unaffordable to the average consumer and unless we can come up with an alternative soon, we can say goodbye to our current lifestyles. Of course this massive damage to the oil reserves in the gulf just exacerbates the problem.

Fetus4188 said:
The news media is working its magic on you.

Perhaps, but I haven't seen or heard much news to make me feel optimistic.

Riesstiu IV said:
I think the golden age of easy convenient living in America and other first world nations is coming to an end. Everyday it becomes more apparent with fewer oil reserves and more demand. We have to face the facts that gasoline will eventually become unaffordable to the average consumer and unless we can come up with an alternative soon, we can say goodbye to our current lifestyles. Of course this massive damage to the oil reserves in the gulf just exacerbates the problem.

Perhaps, but I haven't seen or heard much news to make me feel optimistic.
Ethynol? Other organic oils? There are alternatives, we just don't use them.

h4ppy said:
Ethynol? Other organic oils? There are alternatives, we just don't use them.

Can only supply a fraction of the energy others can. Organic plants for oil usually require more energy to farm (in pesticides) than they produce. Sorry, but you can't just burn stuff and expect it to still be there in everlasting amounts.

Steph said:
Start by buying smaller cars instead of SUV and 4x4
It's not simply a matter of size Steph.

Renault Espace Grand
Height : 1m73 (5'8")
Length : 4m66 (15'3")
Weight : 1695 kg (3737 lbs)
Average Gas consumption : 6.8L/100km (35 miles per gallon)

Chevrolet Aveo (Daewoo Kalos)
Height : 1m45 (4'9")
Length : 3m88 (12'8")
Weight : 990 kg (2183 lbs)
Average Gas Consumption : 6.6L/100 (36 miles per gallon)

Public transport is still the best mode of transport. Also, buildup instead of having a large suburb also helps.

Ramius75 said:
Public transport is still the best mode of transport. Also, buildup instead of having a large suburb also helps.

Well, this reminds me that episode of "Yes, minister" about the Integrated Transport Policy :lol:

Marla, although size DOES matter in some circumstances, I know that size is not the key criteria there.

I just wanted to point the SUV and 4X4, but I agree I should have said less oil consumming car.

Riesstiu IV said:
Nooooooooooooooooooo......... :eek: :( :cry:

Steph said:
Marla, although size DOES matter in some circumstances, I know that size is not the key criteria there.

I just wanted to point the SUV and 4X4, but I agree I should have said less oil consumming car.
US car companies never made any effort to reduce gas consumption as gas has always been worthless in the US. Untill 1998, it was something like 1$ a gallon (0.20€ a a litre). If high prices remain in the US (which I doubt) I think it's an opportunity for diesel gasoline to appear in the country, which would be a great opportunity for European motor companies which build very efficient and clean diesel engines today.

Top Bottom