The Department of Foreign Affairs - Term 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaitan

der Besucher
Foreign Minister - Shaitan
Deputy Foreign Minister - Plexus
Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs - Now hiring

This thread will cover the scope of Foreign Affairs.

FOREIGN POLICY
  1. We will declare war only in the event that an ally requests an alliance against a civ below that ally's rank.
  2. We will seek military alliances with civilizations of an equal or higher rating than our opponents.
  3. We will not agree to foreign demands of extorsion.
  4. We will prosecute a campaign of Cultural Assault in support or our Manifest Destiny. Manifest Destiny is defined as territory in the effective corruption reducing radius of Fox Nest.
  5. We will practice a campaign of regular extorsion against Rogue Nations. We will extort Suspect Nations if they have a required resource or technology.
  6. We will not sign Rights of Passage with Rogue Nations. We may sign Rights of Passage with Suspect Nations and Common Neighbors to achieve strategic goals. We will always endeavor to renew Rights of Passage with Most Favored Nations and Able Partners.
  7. We will not raze captured cities.
  8. We will not renew Peace Treaties with Rogue Nations. We will renew Peace Treaties with Suspect Nations if they posess a resource or technology that we need. We will always renew Peace Treaties with all other ranks of civilizaitons.

RANKS

Most Favored Nations
India
Iroquois

Able Partners
Greece
Rome

Common Neighbors
Zululand

Suspect Nations
none

Rogue Nations
Azteca
Babylon
China

HOW RANKS ARE FIGURED

Polls are taken asking citizens to score the AI civs from 5 (best) to 1 (worst). These votes were tabulated and run through a simplifying formula to come up with the rating numbers. (Formula: Each vote at level five earns 3 points. Vote levels for 4 and less get 2, 1, 0, and -1 respectively.)

These will be repolled each term for all civs and as needed for individual civs when their actions warrant it (someone declares war on us, attempts extorsion, agrees to an alliance and helps us kick butt, etc).

CURRENT CIV RATING NUMBERS
India 37
Iroquois 32
Greece 27
Rome 27
Zululand 11
Babylon -2
China -4
Azteca -9

RATE# RANK
30+ Most Favored Nation (MFN)
20-29 Able Partner (AP)
10-19 Common Neighbor (CN)
0-9 Suspect Nation (SN)
<0 Rogue Nation (RN)

HOW RANKS DEFINE THE FOREIGN POLICY AND FOREIGN AFFAIRS TURN PROPOSALS

EXCHANGE RATE - These generalizations will be used to help figure out whether a proposed deal amount is acceptable or not.

MFN - Fair trade
AP - Small Gain
CN - Medium gain
SN - Large gain
RN - Extortionate gain

CREDIT RATING - Deals for gold/turn get more income but also create the possibility that the AI civ will bankrupt and declare war to break the deals and save their economy. This table shows how we will try to structure deals.

MFN - Straight payment first, then g/t
AP - Straight payment first, then g/t
CN - Even mix
SN - G/t first, then straight payment
RN - G/t first, then straight payment

ALLIANCES - When requested by a foreign nation, consult the civS' ranks. An alliance can be granted if the target nation is a rank below the requesting nation. When we seek alliances, requests may be made to nations equal to or above the target nation's status.

RIGHT OF PASSAGE - Rank will determine whether we always want an ROP, never want an ROP or will use opportunistic ROPs (when we intend to move through that civ's territory).

MFN - Always
AP - Always
CN - Opportunistic
SN - Opportunistic
RN - Never

PEACE TREATY RENEGOTIATION - Rank will determine whether we will seek peace treaty renegotitations.

MFN - Always
AP - Always
CN - Always
SN - Opportunistic
RN - Never

EXTORSION - Rank will determine if we will extort the civ at all, only when they have something we want, or if we will do it constantly.

MFN - Never
AP - Never
CN - Never
SN - Opportunistic
RN - Every 20 turns or less

The Department thread for term 1 can be found here.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is currently hiring for the position of Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs. In the event that the Foreign Minister and Deputy Foreign Minister cannot attend a turn chat, the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs will represent the Department. Duties include maintaining a high knowledge level of current events and policies and attending the turn chats.

Benefits include use of your computer, the envy of your peers and a round of drinks if I ever meet you.

If you are interested in the position, please email or PM me.

EDIT: Plexus has been appointed to the position of Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs.

greetings boss! Great to work with you :)

As Deputy Minister, my goals mimic those of the Minister himself, much of my own personal goals in this game owe their development to Shaitan himself. I hope to serve my people well and I wish all citizens safety and security. My position will work to ensure this.

Thank you,

Office of the Deputy of Foreign Affairs

The Department of Foreign Affairs is currently polling to determine our Manifest Destiny. All citizens should vote here.

EDIT: Poll results show a plurality wishes to expand southward until the benefits of proximity to the castle are depleted. This is generally 10-12 tiles or so. Refinement polls will be taken as we approach these virtual limits.

We are at war with 5 civs and we only need to be at war with 2 of them. Egypt currently possesses some of our sovereign territory (per the newly defined Manifest Destiny). We have an alliance against Babylon (13 turns remaining).

There are monetary benefits to peace.

Peace with Egypt would net us 6 g/t + 54 lump.
With Zululand we get WM (world map).
Rome will give us Lutetia or Lugdunum + 23 lump + WM.
Iroquois will give us 11 lump + WM.
Babylon will give us 1 g/t + 62 lump.

The President will be instructed to take the peace deals with Zululand, Rome and Iroquois now and with Babylon in 13 turns.

EDIT: Peace was obtained with Zululand, Rome and Iroquois as planned and will be obtained with Babylon in a few turns.

I concur as well, but is it possible to get any territory maps out of them?

Originally posted by Chieftess
I concur as well, but is it possible to get any territory maps out of them?
Most have World Maps in the bargain. With the frequency of AI map trading these should give us fairly current territory maps of everybody.

Originally posted by Shaitan
The President will be instructed to take the peace deals with Zululand, Rome and Iroquois now and with Babylon in 13 turns.

These three are now at peace with us.

Not that we will have to negotiate away that alliance against Babylon in 13 Turns, before taking a peace deal. I'm sure that's what Shaitan meant, just mentioning this so that every reader knows.

Hey, evreyone! I would like to thank Shaitan for letting me take this position.

Originally posted by Grey Fox

These three are now at peace with us.

Not that we will have to negotiate away that alliance against Babylon in 13 Turns, before taking a peace deal. I'm sure that's what Shaitan meant, just mentioning this so that every reader knows.
Exactly correct, Grey Fox. In 13 turns (now 6 I believe?) we will be able to cancel the alliance with no reputation penalty and then make peace with Babylon.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is currently sponsoring a poll on behalf of the Domestic Department. This poll will decide our Provincial Borders. It is the right, privilege and duty of every citizen to vote in this poll.

EDIT: Cyc's proposal was the clear victor. A Council Vote will be initiated to adopt it.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is currently sponsoring a Citizen Poll to see if we want peace with Egypt during the 5/7 chat turn.

EDIT: Poll results show some amount of Egyptian territory is still desired before peace should be offered. These goals have been passed to the President.

Shaitan, I noticed you requested ROP deals with most of the other civs. Why do you want ROP deals? I'm wary to initiate ones in such a hostile environment. Since they could try to take advantage of the deal.

I'm with Falc here. How is the Dept of F/A addressing the problem of the Chinese settler outside of Khatovar? What are we going to do about it?

I would like to get input from the Foreign Affairs department on a proposal to build harbors to connect the former Egyptian cities with our own. Please look at the discussion in the Domestic thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom