Need testers for new editor

One thing which would be worth bearing in mind at some point is seeing whether it is possible to give the Worker AI flag to units that cannot perform all Worker actions. In other words, is the restriction in the standard Editor a restriction that is hard-coded in the game itself and impossible to get around, or is it just a restriction in the way the Editor is written?

One thing which would be worth bearing in mind at some point is seeing whether it is possible to give the Worker AI flag to units that cannot perform all Worker actions. In other words, is the restriction in the standard Editor a restriction that is hard-coded in the game itself and impossible to get around, or is it just a restriction in the way the Editor is written?
For the moment, I've let all the AI strategy flag accessible to everyone.
We'll have to do some testing, to see what happens in game then.

I just did a quick test.

I modified a biq by code, so it contains 32000 identical units, with default attributes, all using the same PRTO.

I then loaded the biq in the regular editor, and in game.

Both the editor and the civpedia in game properly list 32000 units.

Now, I'm wondering what I should do next.

I have several options.
- I can finish the different pages of the editor, so it can properly display everything.
- I can connect the existing pages, so when you change a value it is actually store in the file at the end.
- I can add some management tools, to add / delete / reorganize some of the already list items, such as the units.

Beside, whatever the option, I will have to start by something...

I think the best would be to make one page complete, namely the units page, with editable attributes, then add, save, copy, reorder, etc. to give a good feeling of what the editor will allow, and then from that movre progressively to other pages.

What do you think?

About that reorganizing you mentioned, are you talking about alphabetical ordering, date-of-entry-making, stats (Defense, Offence, average of both), etc? or like, select unit entry, move up-down, to end-to top kind of reorganizing?

About that reorganizing you mentioned, are you talking about alphabetical ordering, date-of-entry-making, stats (Defense, Offence, average of both), etc? or like, select unit entry, move up-down, to end-to top kind of reorganizing?
Several of them.

1- In the combobox (ex: select to which unit a unit can upgrade, or what technology is required), you can right click on the combo and select two options, "alphabetical" or "creation order".

2- In the main list for the object (on the left on each page), I'll ad " filter and sorting" option.
It will start with relatively few options, but it may grow in the future, depending on what is really needed.
For the moment, I can imagine things such as "list only the aircrafts that civ X can build".
It will NOT include filter for every possible fields. But I can include some of the most interesting combination.

For the sort, you'll be able to sort alphabetically or "creation order" (that would be the N° which is listed in the 3rd column in the above screenshot). This "creation order" is also the order in which the items would appear with the vanilla editor.
Here also, I could include some other sorting based on another combination, but only if requested with a decent explanation of why it's useful.

3- I will include a tool to change this creation order for each item, a bit like in Gramphos's tools, except it will be available for virtually anything (except hard coded stuff such as the worker actions), and if will be easier to use as you could use it for several items at once. And this change would be "permanent" and so will be used when opening the biq with the Regular editor.
Example: select units number 25 to 35, 37 and 41, and move all of them after unit number 10.
So you would have at the beginning

and at the end

IM in, but lets also get your great mod out their buddy.
That mod is going to be a big success. Sorry, of course this editer is tremadously hope-raising, like the best acheivemnt barnone when its done but Id like more srteph mod fun for the time being . See I'll be laid off soon And would like to be part of that Steph mod 2 crew while on EI with nuttin to do
Ya for Steph :)

IM in, but lets also get your great mod out their buddy.
That mod is going to be a big success. Sorry, of course this editer is tremadously hope-raising, like the best acheivemnt barnone when its done but Id like more srteph mod fun for the time being . See I'll be laid off soon And would like to be part of that Steph mod 2 crew while on EI with nuttin to do
Ya for Steph :)
I'm making this editor because I need it to make my mod. With all the new units from Sandris and other stuffs, it's harder and harder to make the mod with the regular editor, I need something more powerfull and flexible.

Really like this so far .. I hope finish as I've run into the same problem making a mod of RaR (losing track of what added, what relates to what, and for when as game covers 4000BC to 3000AD, with space travel thrown in; and with 2 books of notes finding things is getting hard) and this allows me to see units in a much better and related light.

Luv it (so far). and thanx.

Im not trying to hassle you to make you go quicker, or push you or anything like that, but I was just wondering about when do you think you'll be done with a stable editor, before you start trying 'steph's special stuff'.:D

I want to make one full page, namely the units, with some "Steph's special stuff", as it will settle things in my mind, and allow me to prepare the way for the other pages.
I need to know how I'll make it, so I make it right the first way.

My idea is first to have the unit page fully functionnal, so you can already start using it to edit the units, and then expend it to other pages progressively.

I'll do next the tech advances, and then I'll probably make a small try to see if I can add an era. I doubt it will work, probably to many harcoded stuff.
But it's worth a try.

Is the fact that there are 5 (not exponent of 2) culture groups indicative of possible expansion??

No, the culture groups are not stored anywhere in the file format :(

The eras are, but I'm afraid it cannot be expanded, because in the race section, you cannot specify how many eras are there for the leaderhead: it seems to be hardcoded to 4.

I'll try to confirm it

Question about charm and teleportation.

I plan to try them with the cracked editor, at least to know where they are located in the file format, to remove some "unknown" fields.

However, the question is "should I make them available in the new editor?"

From what I read, Charm and Charm barrier seems to do absolutly nothing.

Telepads should be working...

And second question, who actually used Teleportation in a mod? How was it used?

I don't know anything about charm, and the the best of my knowledge no-one has ever got it to work. I have used teleportation in a mod (though very few units could use it). I'm sure that civinator has experimented with it quite a lot. I think he was trying to encourage the AI to enact the D-day landings.

I use Charm when I want to give a unit the "artillery" AI strategy, just so the unit has a strategy, really. Since Charm nullifies bombardment, the unit will just sit there, doing nothing, but it makes me feel better than giving it no strategy at all (since the units are also immobile, so can't have the "load" flag, and therefore, cannot have the Offense/Defense flags, nor the Explore flag...)

Storm Grunt used teleportation in his Omega Project which unfortunately was never released.. :(

As teleportation is a full usable feature of the editor, I think it should be included if possible. I made a lot of tests with teleportation. So I found a better solution to trigger big overseas landing operations than that I have described here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208023 , teleportation can be used for a lot of purposes in modding Civ 3, only limited to the borders of human phantasy. For normal mods for example armygroups with fast limited supply, railyards, launching-points for invasions are possible, for SF-and Phantasy-Mods of course teleportation "pure" can be used ( for example different towers for magicans, black holes and so on).

About the charm attack: Here I always have the feeling that the hacked editor didn´t hack that feature completely. May be a special unit-tactics for charm-attack could be missing.

As teleportation is a full usable feature of the editor, I think it should be included if possible. I made a lot of tests with teleportation. So I found a better solution to trigger big overseas landing operations than that I have described here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208023 , teleportation can be used for a lot of purposes in modding Civ 3, only limited to the borders of human phantasy. For normal mods for example armygroups with fast limited supply, railyards, launching-points for invasions are possible, for SF-and Phantasy-Mods of course teleportation "pure" can be used ( for example different towers for magicans, black holes and so on).

About the charm attack: Here I always have the feeling that the hacked editor didn´t hack that feature completely. May be a special unit-tactics for charm-attack could be missing.

OH wow this would be great. Imagine your playin alone and think your Overseas enemies are woosies then the continential army pops up on your shore?

I played around with teleportion once on the Balancer. Most don't know its there beacuse You needed to have a really big map and done extremly well to arrive at that level of tech by end of 700 turn.
Its kinda like if we replayed history again but on a earth twice as big in land n resources. Mybe their would be less 'turns' spent killing each other, breaking n' banning great heaps of knowledge , so at 2008 it would be more advanced then are run at it

Steph: OK I see you need a better template to do any of you new work justice. Great then. Thanks for the timly responce

Coming back from a nice winter fairy-tale, I have a question to the elder elven:

Do you also try to bring back the SGL´s (Scientific Great Leaders) to the modders?

C3C has two editor versions: Editor Version 1.00, BIC File Version 12.06 allows the option for the appearance of SGLs for every scenario that was at last been reworked with that version of the editor. This editor came with the unpatched version of C3C.

C3C editor Version 1.03, BIC File Version 12.08 skipps that option when starting scenarios at last created with that editor. This version came with the last patch for C3C.

Top Bottom