College Football In Season Thread

Well, I think VT at least justified their inclusion, even if other teams *cough*KState*cough* may have been more deserving.

The question now is whether Michigan is that bad, or Clemson that good . . .

Not really, Michigan has been a clearly flawed team the whole season, and we already knew Clemson was better than Virginia Tech. I also don't think the Orange Bowl will be a great test of either of the teams relative to the rest of the conferences and national rankings. Pretty easy to say all of these four teams in both bowls together are/were overrated.

Yeah, I'm not clear on the rule there -- or a couple of others; there are posts in the bowl thread -- but I think if the ball moves when it hits the ground it's not a catch, even if you're already down. It's the classic "The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion" situation . . .

Well, I think VT at least justified their inclusion, even if other teams *cough*KState*cough* may have been more deserving.

The question now is whether Michigan is that bad, or Clemson that good . . .
Michigan is that bad. They should have destroyed the Hokies before pre-game ceremonies concluded.

That almost looked like a catch by Coale. Just saying.
Yeah, I think that was a catch.

Now don't get me wrong, I was rooting for VT all the way. However, they simply weren't that good a team, and I am confounded at why Michigan didn't win until the referees had to make the bad Coale ruling and the Hokies third-string kicker missed an easy one. Michigan had it in the bag.

Yeah, I'm not clear on the rule there -- or a couple of others; there are posts in the bowl thread -- but I think if the ball moves when it hits the ground it's not a catch, even if you're already down. It's the classic "The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion" situation . . .

Calvin Johnson Rule doesn't apply in college. I say, upon much deliberation, that he made the catch, since he had possession of the ball, and his elbow hit the ground inbounds, making that a catch. It doesn't matter what happened afterwards.

I had to look up 'Calvin Johnson Rule', but I admit that was what I thought the rule was in college as well (not the actual play the rule is named after, just the rule that you have to control the ball to the ground).

There's a good Dr. Saturday post on this today.

If you're telling me that's a catch under the rules then okay, I won't say you're wrong. But it shouldn't be a catch . . .

And a nice ESPN article reporting on AP voters' replies to a poll asking who they'd pick as #1 if Alabama wins Monday night . . .

Yeah, but those are the rules the teams signed on to at the start of the year!
I did say 'if' . . .
revoke the acc bowl bid now
:lol:
Now they're slowing down, it's been nearly nine whole minutes without a touchdown. I'm disappointed, WVU.
I couldn't be more dumbfounded if LSU or Alabama won by 30. Seriously, does anybody else play defense? Anybody . . ?

I like all this enthusiasm from the WVU faithful during the ESPN postgame. Makes me wish we'd picked them up instead of Mizzou maybe . . ?

Just... what the hell?

I like all this enthusiasm from the WVU faithful during the ESPN postgame. Makes me wish we'd picked them up instead of Mizzou maybe . . ?

Didn't you reject them over academics? (lololololol)

WOO BIG 12 FOOTBALL!!

Genocide Smith don't play around.

Didn't you reject them over academics? (lololololol)

Yes, the irony is thick. OTOH, it hasn't been that unusual through the years for players who couldn't qualify academically at SEC schools to end up at Big East schools instead, so not really a surprise I suppose :dunno:

EDIT: Weirdest tweet from BCS title so far, from Alabama beat reporter covering McElwain/Jones/Maze press confernce: "Swedish reporter asks McElwain to help his readers from his country understand the passion people here have for college football."

EDIT: Weirdest tweet from BCS title so far, from Alabama beat reporter covering McElwain/Jones/Maze press confernce: "Swedish reporter asks McElwain to help his readers from his country understand the passion people here have for college football."

That's actually pretty cool.

Top Bottom