Vincentz Infinite Projects [VIP MOD]

Teamcolored Grenadiers and Riflemen

And a discrete teamcolored rifleman

And the cavalry ofcourse

Not to forget the Arquebusier. I made it very discrete (17%) as I didnt want to take away the leather tunic feel. The pants stayed the same as in vanilla.

------------------
Made the camp available on Swamps

Made the camp available on Swamps

Good idea.

I had to resort to cheating. The Barbs almost conquered the world.

Every AI had lost at least 2 cities to the Barbs and Spain was down to 1 new city. So I entered WB and eliminated excess barb units. When the Barbs can have units you don't have yet it's hunker down time and spend all your efforts on City defenses. Seems the barbs Spawn right on top of mineral resources like copper and iron yet I didn't have any Iron until 200AD and I got copper 200 years later.

When you empire hits 100BC and you have no copper or iron or obsidian, fighting off the Barb Hordes with only Archer, Javelin, and Militia gets rough.

The animal attacks are now manageable in their frequency of appearance but even with scouts that can see the Scout doesn't last long. I'm still exploring with Archers. To me, Scouts are animal fodder and are not worth spending my extremely hard earned Gold on. So I don't.

And with the animals held off at the borders then the dogpile effect of Barb and animal attacks are mitigated to manageable levels.

This game hopefully will speed up soon or this games World will still be in Classical mode even though the time line will be Medieval.

The AI beat me out of my favorite religion and it was Confucianism that I eventually was able to found. So I was without religion's benefits for a Looong time.

This brings up an idea or point I want to make about the tech tree and religion founding: too many religions are in the same research paths. So If you get on that "path" you can found most of the worlds religions.

I strongly wish that Polytheism would not lead to Monotheism. This is imho a grievous error on CIV's core tech tree. There is No indesputable evidence that Poly preceded Mono. In fact most polytheistic religions have a core "Great" god and then lesser. All that aside, from the games stand point and the AI's usage if the Religions of the game came spaced out better and not dependent upon research one to get to another there dispersal would be better.

I like the occasional alligator resource I see.

But I wish the map generator script would better handle the placement of Swamp. Swamps should border river and lake tiles and Not have deserts next door. Rivers can start from swamps as many in the world do. But, I don't know if you possess the know how to correct this subject.

The largest empire in this Lakes Map game has 7 cities, I have 6. My largest is a size 8. The AI isn't much larger.

Thank God, I got the Great Wall last night! I can finally start expanding and building an army to start whittling down the Barb cities. I noticed that the largest empire reclaimed 2 of it's Barb captured cities before I quit last night. We both finally have Horsemen and axe. The Barbs have had Camel and Horse riders for some time.

The Art looks very Good. :)

JosEPh

But I wish the map generator script would better handle the placement of Swamp. Swamps should border river and lake tiles and Not have deserts next door.

Except of course for "The Sud" on the Nile. Or the Nile delta also. Just two examples of marshes next to deserts:mischief:

Had a multiplayer session with a friend last night (untill 4 AM!) playing untill 750 AD on a large map with 10 AI without any break, crash, OOS, bug, slowdown or anything else that would require restart or changes. That alone justifies the absense of a custom dll :)
Scary how addictive the One More Turn still is on a game 6 years old and played 1000's of times.

@ Dancing Hoskuld
Do you have a "crocodile" with working animations. The one I have, which I took from Strategy Only's Animal Empire, doesnt work with the dragon.kfm animation.

@ Joseph
What mapscript where you running?
With the new rules if you dont have iron or copper, just work a lot of workshops. The chance you some genius manufactuers Bronze Weapons or Iron Weapons without the use of largescale ores is always there.
Regarding the barbs. It is definately stronger, but only because it have units such as the camel riders and horsemen but I havent seen many AI's go down on it as they usually is better at defending (training units) than I am. I think 2 archers on each city with walls should be a good enough defense, but historically speaking: there was a reason why the chinese built the Great Wall ;)

I very much agree on the pathing with religions, and there are a couple of other places I'm going to switch/move techs in the techtree. Almost all religions have some sort of dualism (which now is a dead end), and the biggest flaw of the techtree is the mono/poly. There are a couple other techs I really want to delete as well plus renaming a few (semiconductors=Microchips)

Regarding swamps and desert : There are functions in the mapscripts setup to avoid desert with marsh, but some mapscripts doesnt care. I know fantasy map is one big mess when it comes to terrain placement (but I think its intentionally in that one)

The map is Lakes, Huge, High Sea level. (yes I'm trying another type map besides Arch ;P )

It's currently 1000+AD and I just finished Theocracy, and I now lead in tech research. This is a backwards world. The whole world is running about 500 years behind in research.

I'm up to 10 cities as I've finally been able to capture 3 barbs and build a new city because of the reduction in local barb units with the loss of those 3 cities. The 1st 10,000 years were very rough on Noble level. And 2 of the barb cities I conquered was because after they would build their 3rd Mil unit they would send 2 out to roam and destroy. I placed Horse, chariot and/or axe in defensive positions around these cities and if they left the Archer I sent in the Horse. If they left an Ax I sent in the Chariot. If I had not gotten the Horse resource around 500AD that would not have been as possible to do.

I also now have Elephant and will soon have the alligator resource in my new city. So War elephants should soon be produced.

@DH yes the Nile is bordered by much desert, but I believe it's more of the exception than the rule. ;P And if the rainy season down south in the mountains/hills that the Nile comes from would have a drought....well Egypt knows the misery that produces.

Scary how addictive the One More Turn still is on a game 6 years old and played 1000's of times.
So Very true. I don't think many V players will be saying the same though.

JosEPh :)

@ Dancing Hoskuld
Do you have a "crocodile" with working animations. The one I have, which I took from Strategy Only's Animal Empire, doesnt work with the dragon.kfm animation.

No, I am using a paleosaur or some such graphic from the Exotic Animals mod! I was really hoping you could come up with something. I have asked on the units thread but the request was met with silence!

BTW shouldn't reefs give more food than normal coast or at least be more likely to have crab, oyster or pearl resources on them?

The problem was when I initially made the reefs, I gave it an extra food, it would spam it in the start locations when initialising maps, as the mapgenerator create good spots for starting. I think it was the same reason with the crap/clam, but I'll try the later again.

-----------

Uploading 0.77
Changelist is way too long. Did a lot of work on the modern era, changing the buildings/corporations/units/wonders/projects to techs that made more sense IMO.
Also added Dido and a bunch of planes. I took every modern unit from CFCs DDB and categorized it, and prepared the folders for ethnic diverse planes, but going to wait to see how slow a full game becomes in modern era with the tanks and infantry ideas I have too, before I add ethnic graphics. Though looking at the graphic I want to put each and every one into the mod. The artwork there is fantastic.

Considering the amount of stuff I'm going to add over the next couple of version, I decided to skip the multiple files from CFCs DDB and use a filehost instead. I used MediaFire for 0.77 but that might change later.

Hi, thanks for this mod.
It seems interesting for me.
I downloaded it and tried on Bts 3.19 but when I unrar the file in mods folder and run it, appear Civ screen without any text. Also in log file there aren't any error related to this mod.

Suggestions???

Thanks in advance for replies.

It seems like there is a conflict with another mod. Which other mods have you installed (BUG, BULL, RevDCM, other?)
I think you can solve it by deleting the Screens folder (Mods\VIP\Assets\Python\Screens)

It would be very helpfull for future versions if you could pinpoint which file causes the problem, as I dont have this bug, but it was reported once before.

Try to delete the last one on the list, then the second last one, then the third last one etc. etc. untill the game works, and please report back.

Python folder :
CvMapGeneratorUtil.py

Screens folder inside python folder :
CvMainInterface.py
CvCivicsScreen.py
CvCorporationScreen.py
CvPediaMain.py
CvTechChooser.py

First of all thanks for the quick reply.
I have tried 0.76 yesterday. Now I saw that you have posted 0.77. I will try it and if I have the same problem I will post it.

However: I have installed both BUG and Better AI but they are only in therir folder in MODS directory. I have no custom / modded file in Civ data directory in My Documents\My Games\Civ 4bts\Custom assets or mods.

First of all thanks for the quick reply.
I have tried 0.76 yesterday. Now I saw that you have posted 0.77. I will try it and if I have the same problem I will post it.

However: I have installed both BUG and Better AI but they are only in therir folder in MODS directory. I have no custom / modded file in Civ data directory in My Documents\My Games\Civ 4bts\Custom assets or mods.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=280992&stc=1&d=1296420627

Try to put this folder into the VIP folder. Its simply the small changes I made to python and all the Beyond the Sword python files. My theory would be that this would then override anything that would override BtS python

Nice looking mod! Love the stuff you have added.
Does it have documentation for all the added features in sevopedia?
And what I would really like to see is realistic economy :D : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409770

Yeah, its very difficult to get an economy thats reasonable and realistic in a game like civ. Usually bigger=better (more commerce, more production etc) but I did put in a couple of "stoppers" such as extra cost for each unittype (every time you produce a unit, the next one of same type will cost 5% extra), Maintenance on buildings and some civics that clearly works better with "small" empires. But what is the difference between Africa, Asien, Europe and N.America regarding economies. Africa f.ex. is one of the most resource rich continents, but civil wars, famines, corruption and bad infrastructure (plus the white mans footstep) has made it one of the poorest continents. I enjoy when a civ game gets traits of realism, but sometimes one just have to accept its more of a "what if" (like when sitting bull rolls over you with chariots ;))

Regarding the civilopedia. I havent made entries for all the stuff, but most of it will come quite natural even though the changes are huge (like the new movement system) while others will have to be learned (Guilds, Guilds and Guilds)

-----------------------

Started on Modern Mechanized Warfare :

for the female leaders, did you create them yourself? I've yet to see other mods with such detailed pictures that make them actually look like, well, women.

for the female leaders, did you create them yourself? I've yet to see other mods with such detailed pictures that make them actually look like, well, women.

Nope, cant take credit of that. The 5 first I believe is a conversion from another game, but done by Saibotlieh, while the last (dido) I cant remember who did it.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=378346&highlight=SaibotLieh

--------------------------------

Are there any of these that are overpowered, underpowered, insulting (offensive) or just plain incorrect (gotta step carefully with religions)

New Promotions granted by Monasteries :
which can now only be built if city has the statereligion.

Dharma (Buddhism) +1 Sight

Yoga (Hinduism) -1 Movement cost

Halakha (Judaism) 20% Cheaper Upgrades

Jihad (Islam) +2 First Strike Chances

Crusade (Christianity) 10% City Attack, 20% extra pillage

Wuchang (Confucianism) 10% Withdrawal Chance

Wu Wei (Taoism) +25% XP from Combat

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=280992&stc=1&d=1296420627

Try to put this folder into the VIP folder. Its simply the small changes I made to python and all the Beyond the Sword python files. My theory would be that this would then override anything that would override BtS python

I tried both 0.77 with or without your python.rar.
Same result: see attached picture.
Can have same importance the fact that I use Italian language???

Always thanks for the support.

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for the screenshot. Now it makes a lot more sense, and it wasnt about Python but text entries.

Yes, it is because its italian language, but I have made entries for both english, spanish, german, french and italian (though I just added english language)

It should be possible to use other languages, so this is a BUG!!!

Will skim the textfiles, though I'm pretty sure where to find the problem, and fix it for the 0.78 version.

Fixed :)

if you cant wait for 0.78 here are the files. Delete the Text folder inside VIP/Assets/XML and replace it with the one from the rar.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281093&stc=1&d=1296484518

It works!!! Thanks a lot.

Only two things:
in image1 some text are out of borders (resolution 1600x900 notebook)
in image2 I have just started a game and I don't understand what is the building just right to the city, circled in red. No help text and I think that the building is of a future epoch.

Regarding Italian translation of this mod... Do you have someone that translate it?
If not, I can translate it but I tell you in advance that I cannot be quickly because my study commitments.

Last question: only for curiosity, absolutely not a criticism, why incrase the cost of 5% every unit?

Attachments

• Immagine2.jpg
    Immagine2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Immagine3.jpg
    Immagine3.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Oreste USA1 VIP1 a. C. - 9400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.6 KB · Views: 136
It works!!! Thanks a lot.

Only two things:
1) in image1 some text are out of borders (resolution 1600x900 notebook)
2) in image2 I have just started a game and I don't understand what is the building just right to the city, circled in red. No help text and I think that the building is of a future epoch.

3) Regarding Italian translation of this mod... Do you have someone that translate it?
If not, I can translate it but I tell you in advance that I cannot be quickly because my study commitments.

4) Last question: only for curiosity, absolutely not a criticism, why incrase the cost of 5% every unit?

1) I feared it might do that. Will find some sort of solution to that, as I think those word by HP Lovecraft in 1926 for Call of Cthulhu, are fitting a civ game in a strange, yet perfect way.
It says : "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents (*1). We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, (*2) and it was not meant that we should voyage far (*3). The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; (*4) but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein (*5), that we shall either go mad from the revelation (*6) or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. (*7)"

What he meant (when writing it in 1926) : ;)
*1 Opening up VIP for the first time can be quite overwelming and understanding each feature takes time.
*2 Fog of War
*3 Animals and Barbs keep killing the scouts
*4 Looking at the Techtree
*5 Reaching later eras only to find out that Im hopelessly behind the other AI in tech'ing
*6 Arghh! I loose. Quit quit quit!
*7 Nuclear Winter! (Usually I ended my Vanilla games with 20+ nuclear strikes)

2) Its your Palace. Each Ethnic type in the game have a individual palace, coz I was tired at looking at the Viking Longhouse kinda thing. I could do era specific palaces, but then it would be 7 eras x7 ethnic groups = 49 buildinggraphics! As I try to minimize memory usage this would be a complete overkill.

3) Yes please :) ...but... I dont know how many will download the mod, though 54 have done for 0.77 in the first 24 hours. And out of those I dont know how many will use Italian language. On top of that I will continue to add extra units/buildings, so to start now would somehow be a waste of time, but on the other hand, if you took the "easy" translations such as units, buildings, civics and other 1 or 2 word entries, I could add it as the mod come along.

4) It was a balance/AI thing. It encourages diversity in unit production and prevent single unit Stacks of Doom (or at least makes them quite expensive). If 1 unit is overpowered it will soon be not so overpowered if building 20 of them when the next one is 100% (5x20) more expensive.
I guess it can be justified by limited amount of resources or limited workforce producing that kind of weaponry. In early medieval Scandinavia it was common that only Nobles had swords, as a lot of work/iron had to be put into making a sword.

----

2) Its your Palace. Each Ethnic type in the game have a individual palace, coz I was tired at looking at the Viking Longhouse kinda thing. I could do era specific palaces, but then it would be 7 eras x7 ethnic groups = 49 buildinggraphics! As I try to minimize memory usage this would be a complete overkill.

3) Yes please :) ...but... I dont know how many will download the mod, though 54 have done for 0.77 in the first 24 hours. And out of those I dont know how many will use Italian language. On top of that I will continue to add extra units/buildings, so to start now would somehow be a waste of time, but on the other hand, if you took the "easy" translations such as units, buildings, civics and other 1 or 2 word entries, I could add it as the mod come along.

4) It was a balance/AI thing. It encourages diversity in unit production and prevent single unit Stacks of Doom (or at least makes them quite expensive). If 1 unit is overpowered it will soon be not so overpowered if building 20 of them when the next one is 100% (5x20) more expensive.
I guess it can be justified by limited amount of resources or limited workforce producing that kind of weaponry. In early medieval Scandinavia it was common that only Nobles had swords, as a lot of work/iron had to be put into making a sword.

2) I didn't understand that was my palace. It seems on the other plot. However a question resolved.

3) Because I would have done the translation for personal use, might as well post it for the benefit of all.
In the coming weeks, maybe just translate the names of units, resources, and little else. When the release becomes more stable I'll try to translate the rest.

4) I asked why the increase in cost I thought about how the AI react to this. I followed the development of the Better AI and talking in the past with Jdog, I think that AI, even vanilla AI, can't manage that well. Because AI choose by unit type needed not only cost. Except when upgarde units. Infact Better Ai fixed a AI poor choice where infantry were massively upgraded to SAM infrantry due to the cheap upgarde cost.
But building units consider much more tactical situation like unit type (recon, city raider, counter AI). I think that a more hammer cost isn't a decisive factor.
However I think that the feature must be tested.

Top Bottom