NESLife VI

well, welcome, and take a look around the rest of the NESing forum. there are a number of games running that might interest some of you.

How many of your "herd" are there?

Spoiler :
Organism: Sky-Stealer
Description: A budding colony of photosynthesizers with carbon-based polymers for defense, structural support and vascular transport, radial leaves for light capture, and moderate desiccation resistance from waxy cuticle and internal gels.
Niche: Terrestrial primary producer.

Organism: Drylander
Mutation: The Skyscraper has begun to grow down developing roots which allow it retain more water and extract nutrients from poor soils. This additional bulk beneath the soil has also allowed it to grow out multiple stems without risk of falling over.

Organism: Pyracrania
Description: An armoured swimming and crawling generalist with a simple digestive tract, and armoured carapace, 3 pairs of swimmerets, 2 olfactory antennae and 2 manipulator arms.
Niche: Olfactory armoured generalist.

Evolves into:

Organism: Crania Borer
Ancestor: Pyracrania
Selective Pressure: The freeing of land-based opportunities
Mutation: The Crania Borer has adapted to the new world changes by development of burrowing and digging arms. It's body has also morphed slightly to help this. Crania Borer now lives in the tidal ranges, eating the debris and retiring to its burrow if it begins to dry out, but also to shelter from others.

You are all thinking so *small*. NESLife is for the creation of fascinating alternate biomes, not uninspired copies of Earth niches. At least, that's what it is for me.

And if you think this is exciting, just wait and see where I'm going with it next.

Organism: Altiku
Ancestor: Venku
Selective Pressure: Hyper-reduction in ammonia budget from Horod die-off and increased predation from High Needlers and others
Mutation: Evolution of a streamlined, cloud-soaring body, with a very low body mass. Pheromonic pathways to chase ammonia clouds and coordinate night-time drops to earth to absorb mineral nutrients. [Loss of parasitic ability.]

The physiological jump from Venku to Altiku is so drastic that some have hypothesized some sort of mutagen was at play, particularly the ionizing radiation of the Scouring Era. But this is unlikely due to the short period of high radiation exposure; rather the main reason for the speciation of the Altiku was a massive die-off in Venku species predicated by the destruction of their Horod ammonia sources en masse, and inability to compete with the Tenkus with their lower energy budget in the face of widespread Needler predation.

Only those Venku that had the most efficient nitrogen fixation pathways to the least cost - namely the lighter ones, were selected for, as were those that were more mobile; their increased ability to chase down increasingly scarce and volatile sources of ammonia rain made their sensory suite sensitive to even minute changes in humidity. (Interestingly enough, the sensory-pheromone complex located near the top of the plant acquired additional complexity during this period. The ability to secrete a touch-sensitive 'alarm' pheromone causing the night-browsing plants to release their roots and soar high into the sky was one of the main anti-predatory enhancements of the new genus.)

Lightness and mobility - combined with many scavengers and primary consumers' voracious appetite for low-hanging floaters now that other plant life was gone - naturally prioritized expansion into the untapped biome of the clouds. As such, the Altiku operates on an extremely tight nitrogen sugar budget. The gas sac comprises 90% of the mass of the creature, with the outer layer performing photosynthesis, the central layer nitrogen fixation, and the inner layer buoyant gas production.

But the finest accomplishment of the Altiku was invisible - A hyper-efficient biochemical pathway for nitrogen fixation, limiting the need for Altikus to land at all, with the exception of the acquisition of a few essential minerals. This caused the Altikus to become much more ambitious cloud chasers, as they now had to intake large quantities of ammonia directly rather than taking the easier route of leeching it from other plants. Increasingly Altiku packs are relying on mountain peaks to accomplish their mineral acquisition while avoiding predation, landing, leeching, and then soaring back into the sky for weeks at a time.

[Tenkus, with a much greater access to mineral nutrients and no serious plant competition, continued to be the mass-producing low-floater generalists, reproducing via spores rather than the occasional budding of the Altiku. But with high offspring comes the assumption of target status for land primary consumers. Avoiding this is the main reason for the Altiku's existence.]

I prefer gradual evolution compared to more explosive evolution. I want creativity too, just over the course of a dozen turns or so ... whenever they occur.
This game is just over a dozen turns. a dozen turns is a very large amount of time. AND This was a mass extinction. Rapid Evolution is going to happen. Whether you like it or not, mass extinctions cause rapid evolution because what survives will adapt to fill the open niches the event left.

Just look at every mass extinction on earth. It was followed by a rapid pace of evolutionary development.

This game is just over a dozen turns. a dozen turns is a very large amount of time. AND This was a mass extinction. Rapid Evolution is going to happen. Whether you like it or not, mass extinctions cause rapid evolution because what survives will adapt to fill the open niches the event left.

Just look at every mass extinction on earth. It was followed by a rapid pace of evolutionary development.

Yes, when it happens.

Hoping this is still going. That said, it is very sad to come back months later and find that my bird/flying-fish/whatever line finally died out. I was always proud of how effectively that line did, considering that a few of the key ancestors were my creations. We even managed to survive the first mass extinction. But alas. Not to be. :(

I probably won't post another evolution until Iggy updates (if/when that happens) but take this as a vote of confidence/renewed interest for what it's worth.

Hoping this is still going. That said, it is very sad to come back months later and find that my bird/flying-fish/whatever line finally died out. I was always proud of how effectively that line did, considering that a few of the key ancestors were my creations. We even managed to survive the first mass extinction. But alas. Not to be. :(

Tell me about it, I'd finally evolved them to the point they could probably hold their own for a couple of turns if no one evolved them when BAM! Lethal cosmic radiation. Too bad, so sad.

Top Bottom