Greater Europe - People of the Old World

Austria-Hungary has been updated! And good news for those of us who are or like Slavs. There's a fair few of them coming soon. I'll give you a clue: one is Great Moravia, the other is its pagan equivalent. :p

Edit: does anyone know how to import unit models (specifically the Grenzer, it would be much appreciated if someone could do all the code)? It's something I should have done, but didn't.

Austria-Hungary has been updated! And good news for those of us who are or like Slavs. There's a fair few of them coming soon. I'll give you a clue: one is Great Moravia, the other is its pagan equivalent. :p

Edit: does anyone know how to import unit models (specifically the Grenzer, it would be much appreciated if someone could do all the code)? It's something I should have done, but didn't.

try this:

change
<UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_RIFLEMAN</UnitArtInfo>
to
<UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_GRENZER</UnitArtInfo>

in the AustriaHungaryUnits.xml

P.S.1 Grenzer's unit icon(not the portrait) goes wrong, please check it.
P.S.2 The new civ icon is awesome!

The Carbanto, kitchener volunteer and merchant navy text don't seem to show up.

Spoiler :

Also seems like there is no start bias (should be coastal) and there is inconsistency between the name in game (Great Britain) and in the files (United Kingdom).

:mad:

Interchangeable enough. :p (Yes, I know they're not really, but given more than half the territory is on Great Britain, and we own the entire thing, it counts. I guess "Transbritain" works as well, but whatever.) Anyway, I'll try to fix that at some point; though it shouldn't affect stuff too much. I'll fix the typos shortly.

Why can't I hold all those Hungarys! I assume that the other major WW1 factions are being created by other modders or do you have some still planned?

And to this day I cry myself to sleep every time I see the broken text.

If I recall correctly, Viregel and Hypereon were making one. However, I think there was no progress on it for a long while.

How much truth there is behind this? Unification of Italy is a really interesting part of history.

I got an idea for a Great Moravian civ, subsequently added Hiram on Steam because he was the first civ maker that I found on the workshop who didn't have a private account. He then directed me here, and I created an account solely for the purpose of saying that if Great Moravia gets released in its current state, it'll be... well, pretty historically inaccurate. As someone from Slovakia, where learning about Great Moravia was an integral part of our history lessons, I'm hoping to provide as much historical info as I can to make this mod as good as possible.

They are supposed to a medieval Slovenia, kinda. And aside the thing with Samo they didn't have much to do with Slovakia
Okay, red flag there, immediately. The empire of Great Moravia itself, while being a spiritual successor to Samo's state, was created when Mojmir I of the Principality of Moravia absorbed the Principality of Nitra led by Pribina. These two principalities were located in current-day Czech Republic and Slovakia respectively. The other leaders, particularly Svatopluk I, expanded from there. Which obviously renders COF's city list completely useless, as the cities in his list are based mostly around current-day Slovenia. No idea where he got that idea from, by the way. Google any map of Great Moravia and you can see it barely incorporates Slovenia or any of the surrounding countries. I mean, okay, fair enough. We don't know much about the state as it is. Some theories place it elsewhere than others, but the widely accepted one places it as I've described before, up in Czechia and Slovakia. Quoting the second sentence of the Wikipedia article about Great Moravia:

"Its core territories were located on the northern Morava River along the present-day border of the Czech Republic and Slovakia."

Which just goes to prove my case.

EDIT: COF just informed me that he was talking about something else entirely. I jumped to conclusions because he mentioned "the thing with Samo". Still, I'm leaving this bit in my post because it talks nicely about the history of the empire.

Some more quotes:

"[There] is Belgrade, in which is the tower of the holy and great Constantine, the emperor; then, again, at the running back of the river, is the renowned Sirmium by name, a journey of two days from Belgrade; and beyond lies great Moravia, the unbaptized, which the [Hungarians] have blotted out, but over which in former days [Svatopluk] used to rule. Such are the landmarks and names along the Danube river [...]."

"According to most historians, the core territories of Moravia were located in the valley of the river Morava in present-day Czech Republic and Slovakia. Large early medieval fortresses and the significant cluster of settlements growing around them suggest that an important center of power emerged in this region in the 9th century."

If you want more info on this, go to the Wikipedia article yourselves. And while I'll admit that there are theories which place the state of Great Moravia down in Serbia, the most widely accepted one is the Czechoslovak one I've mentioned earlier.

Next up, the UU and UA. The UB, I don't really a problem with, but let me just say this: what the balls is a Togi Vodi? Seriously! I googled my arse off but did not find any relevant information. Honestly, googling for Togi Vodi, in quotes, only gives 4 (four) results, one of which is this thread, one of which is a Serbian (or some other Southern Slavic) page, and the other two both just come up because they link to the aforementioned page. Putting the page into Google Translate, I found out that it does talk about history in the area, but there's no mention of Great Moravia whatsoever - correct me if I'm wrong. And so let me ask again, and let me make it absolutely clear: What, the balls, is a Togi Vodi?

And I'm sorry, but I don't really have any proper info about an idea for a Great Moravia UU either. I'm completely clueless, honestly. Quoting Wikipedia again: "Very little is known about the Great Moravian way of warfare. The dru&#382;ina was a princely retinue composed of professional warriors, who were responsible for collecting tribute and punishing wrongdoers." and "The army was led by the king or, in case of his absence, by a commander-in-chief called voivode." The catch is that dru&#382;inas (druzhinas) and voivodes were something that's shared with, and admittedly, more popular in, Eastern Slavic nations. So I'm kind of meh about this at the moment. I could get back to that and try to scout out some more info, if you wanted - or, you could just use something generic like "Slavic Warrior". (see Pictish Warrior or Maori Warrior in Civ5)

Speaking of Eastern Slavic nations, the UA is off too. It should not, by any means, be "Mat Zemlya". That's Russian. Russia had nothing to do with Great Moravia, as we've already discussed, it was a Western Slavic state. But I do have an idea.

Slavonic Evangelism. Rastislav I of Great Moravia requested missionaries from the Byzantine emperor. He sent two brothers there, Saints Cyril and Methodius. These two created the first alphabet in use by Great Moravia, and spread religion as well. They eventually convinced the Pope to make Old Slavonic an official liturgical language. This made Old Slavonic the first language to accomplish this, aside from the original three, Latin, Hebrew, and Greek. That was a pretty big deal. And so based on this, I have made up my own UA concepts. Let me know what you think, I only have 83 hours on Civ. (I did buy it no less than two weeks ago, but, still, not that experienced.)

UA: Slavonic Evangelism
- Founding a religion triggers a :c5goldenage: Golden Age.
- While your religion is the majority religion in your :c5capital: Capital, gain (x) more :c5culture: Culture.
- A free :c5greatperson: Great Prophet appears near the :c5capital: Capital upon researching Writing. (Too similar to Babylon, but there was really no other way to incorporate Cyril and Methodius into this, after all they did invent the Glagolitic script so Writing was the only appropriate one.)
- When you accumulate enough :c5faith: Faith to spawn a :c5greatperson: Great Prophet, half of the :c5faith: Faith needed gets preserved and converted into :c5culture: Culture.
- When under normal circumstances you'd receive your first :c5greatperson: Great Prophet, receive two.

Pick one or two of these to form a UA!

That's my constructive criticism. If anybody'd like to discuss it with me, I'd appreciate if they added me on Steam, because I probably won't visit this site that often other than to download mods. Nix - out.

Hello SnowyNix and welcome to the forums! :) Thank you for an insightful post.

Though I am not Viregel, and can't speak in lieu of him, I can safely say that I suggested changing the UU name on the same basis as you have - these words don't mean anything to me, and they seem to be meaning "rigid waters/rivers" in some Southern Slavic language.

My idea was to rename it into "Shieldsman" or "Shieldbearer" - I don't know what is the Slovak counterpart to that name, but in Polish this kind of warrior is called "Tarczownik", a guy with a large shield forming the basic Slavic warband. I had trouble coming up with any really specific unit.

The UA could get a name change indeed - hopefully Viregel will listen ;) But I think it's already planned out - and its design is already very similar to your ideas :)

Top Bottom