Daftpanzer's next project? (multiple choice)

What should Daftpanzer do?

• NESLife V continuation

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Space Empires Lite

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • NESCraft rebooted

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • DaftNES 100

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • DaftNES 101 (Industrial Empires)

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Fantasy Handfoot Eggball World Cup NES

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Actually get involved in NESes as promised (like N3S)

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Just hang out in WWW, annoying people with incoherent arguments

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Go home and die

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daftpanzer

canonically ambiguous
Over the past few months I’ve had an emotional re-adjustment with the NES forum.

I've learnt brutality and hatred.

I’ve learnt to hate all of you.

And now, I believe,

I am finally ready to be a true NES moderator.

Link to video.

* NESLife V continuation
What it says on the tin, I’ve already done most of the work for another much-delayed update. I’m happy with the pixelated graphic style for this, as it is really easy to maintain compared to the old NESLife 3/4 Flash drawings. The challenge remains how to avoid writing a National Geographic documentary for each turn, but still provide enough feedback and narrative – watching Iggy’s NESLife for tips on that!

* Space Empires Lite ('NEB in space')
In the census thread, a number of people indicated a desire for some kind of space game and its always been an interest of mine. I propose a ‘lite’ game that deliberately steers away from hard sci-fi (since I lack the knowledge to make that work and none of the hard-fi fans would take me seriously anyway). It would be gamey and boardgame-esque, perhaps focusing on a few powerful interstellar motherships/transforming space mecha, rather than the nitty gritty of empire building (or at least, having simple mechanics for that).

I propose a kind of ‘post-reaper’ galaxy that has just suffered a culling by a mysterious race of super-powerful beings. Sentient races have been devastated and their tech level has been greatly knocked back from their recent height of power, but even in their ‘primitive’ state, still have a few hyperspace cores and remain in contact with each other over the galactic interwebs. Some player races could be survivors, some could be newly-emerging races or newly-freed slave species that somehow manage to find or build a hyperspace core.

The galaxy map would be based on hexagonal sectors, with one (or fewer) significant star system in each. The unexplored reaches would be full of special happenings, items, relics, space monsters guarding gaia planets, and NPC races. Graphic style: Advance Wars in space?

* NESCraft rebooted
Safe to say I greatly overreached with this project once again (getting a full time job certainly didn’t help). However that is not to say the whole game world needs to be scrapped. I can imagine continuing with a smaller and more abstracted world map. You’d no longer see every spritey little detail, and more details will be in actual stats. But all the human characters and the emerging villages would continue their stories.

* DaftNES 100
The DaftNES 100 series is a proposed successor to all of the ‘gamey’ civilisation NESes I’ve tried to run in the past, combined with the ‘Alternate Timeline Experiment’ and elements of NESCraft. That being, a fresh-start NES beginning in the tribal era. I’ve created perhaps my best and simplest ruleset for this purpose yet, and done some solo testing that has been promising. The world map would be built up of hexagonal sections that in combination form biomes and human territories. A pre-NES for this could be a rapid world creation exercise that would also lay the foundation for creation myths and gods that are local to different parts of the world.

Spoiler Stats Example :
Tribe Name: Playername
Pop: 20 (3 slaves)
LP: 3 (max 5) [Leadership Points - spend on recruitment, cultural upgrades, projects]
CP: 2 (max 4) [Crafting Points - spend on weapons, boats, buildings, projects]
Stockpile: 8 Food, 2 Pottery, 1 Wood, 1 Gold, 1 Hides, 1 Medicinal Herbs
Equipment: 1 Bows, 2 Bronze Axes
Culture (~5): Council of Chiefs, Casual Farming, Pottery, Ritual Hunting

* DaftNES101 (Industrial Empires)
Pretty much as above, but starting in the industrial age – with the customary Advance Wars style graphics for all the boy’s toys on the map (apart from being cute and retro-coolness, I think the style just works well for recognising things quickly + easily). The world-building phase in this case would also create the starting nations and empires.

As with Never Ending Battle (NEB) the tone would be not-so-serious, however there would be no weirdness in the form of aliens etc (unless people want that).

* Fantasy Handfoot Eggball World Cup NES
The same idea that comes around everytime the World Cup is on TV: a brutalised American Handegg / Football hybrid set in a fantasy world (fantasy races) using rock/paper/scissor + ‘chance card’ mechanics. Short-term, perhaps no more than 8 teams.

NESCraft into DaftNES 100 into DaftNES 101 :p

In all serious I'd love a NESCraft continuation/reboot deal

Use your anger! Use your hate! Strike me down, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete.

Space Empires or DaftNES 100/101! I've always been more of a large scale guy; NESCraft was fun but a little too "build the spear to kill the deer" oriented for me.

I'm probably leaning towards DaftNES 101 but I'll enjoy any among the three.

Space Empires is my first choice, and NESLife V is my second. I'd also like to see you playing more in other NESes, if you'd like. :)

I'm for any of the options that have you doing something interesting and fun for yourself.

Or in otherwords, pretty much any of the games.

Join EoE and stop kidding yourself with these failed projects. :p

Pretty sure that Daft is one of our more successful mods in terms of NESes that actually broke 5-10 updates, broski.

I'm going to throw my full weight behind DaftNES 101/Industrial Empires as a counterweight to the NEScraft vote. You could do 4 pre-updates, Update 0a, 0b, 0c, and 0d, to conceptually incorporate the ancient, classical, medieval, and renaissance/early modern eras to be a sort of accelerated DaftNES 100 to precede the normal game.

None of these options are as good as him NESing more. If he had put the option for a second Alternate Timeline Experiment we might get somewhere.

None of these options are as good as him NESing more. If he had put the option for a second Alternate Timeline Experiment we might get somewhere.

IMO, DaftNES 101 would be a lot like the Alternate Timeline Experiment, except with more of an accelerated historical period to get us to the fun shooty explody part. I mean peaceful multilateral partnerships with passive cultural achievements part.

...this is going to be hard. :p

Thankyou very much everyone :) Narrowed my choice down to three :p And only 5.71% of voters desire my death!

Also seems like approval for me getting involved in NESes as a player.

I guess I'll go with my gut instinct, hmm...

Top Bottom