'Baba Yetu'

Publicola

King
I'm not sure if there's another forum where this belongs, but I was wondering if we could create a list of favorite versions the Civ IV theme song (Baba Yetu, by Christopher Tin). One of my favorite a cappella singers on Youtube recently released a cover of the song, which definitely made my day. Anyone else have one they'd like to share?

'Baba Yetu' -- Civilization IV Theme Cover -- composed by Christopher Tin
Sung by Malukah and Peter Hollens

Link to video.

What a fantastic version ! This made my day too ! Thank You for sharing ! :) I think it sounds very close to the original ;)

Very nice version, thanks for sharing. I discovered Malukah's voice when she sang the Skyrim title song "Dragonborn" on youtube, which meanwhile has almost 10 million views. If I recall correctly, she actually got hired by Zenimax to sing a few bard songs for Elder Scrolls Online.

A more original version of Baba Yetu was sung by the group Talisman a Cappella.

Yes, thank you! I wasn't sure what to do with this when I saw it the other day. I posted it in the music thread in off topic, but knew that wouldn't reach a lot of the forum members.

Thank you for posting this. It brought tears to my eyes, it was so good. :)

Slightly tangential... I wonder if I can replace BtS's main menu music with Baba Yetu?

Back in vanilla Civ4, I would purposefully deliberate over the details of a new game just to hear Baba Yetu played in its entirety at least once.

With BtS? The sooner I can start a game, the better.

I did it as well; the opening sequences went down hill from Vanilla-->Warlords-->BtS.

Slightly tangential... I wonder if I can replace BtS's main menu music with Baba Yetu?

Back in vanilla Civ4, I would purposefully deliberate over the details of a new game just to hear Baba Yetu played in its entirety at least once.

With BtS? The sooner I can start a game, the better.

Hah, I'm the opposite. Not a big fan of "world" music at all, so the first time I fired up CIV4 and heard Baba Yetu I was mega :rolleyes:.

I love the Warlords theme, really gets me in the mood for some conquest. And I love the BTS theme too, very period and atmospheric, gets me in the mood.

But you can change it in the menu options to whichever screen/theme you prefer.

TBH I love almost all the music in the game. Medieval + Modern are probably my favourite two eras, and there are some great leader themes. I love Ragnar, and Jao's cheesy Spanish Portuguese guitars.

That is really good! Thanks for posting! I'm also in the camp of always setting BTS to use the vanilla main menu. It's the best in the series.

On the topic of alternate themes, does anyone know the origins of the Rhye's of Civilization menu theme? I recall reading it was inspired by Pink Floyd's Shine on you Crazy Diamond, and I can hear the influence, but I don't know the origin of Rhye's version. That's the other Civ menu theme that I'm a fan of.

Now, slightly perpendicular...

Below is the "Official Video" for Baba Yetu as Civ4 soundtrack. I like the video mix better than Civ4's actual opening video:

Spoiler :

And here's a visual rendition of Baba Yetu... on the Dubai Fountain:

Spoiler :

(Watching the fountain reminds me of 2 cities + their BFCs ... workers running around building improvements and road network... and units with promotions :p)

-----

One more: Opening theme + Baba Yetu medley, performed Live:

Spoiler :

Please3, where is that option thing?

From the civ4 main screen select advanced, options, click the graphics tab. Left side of the screen at the list bottom is opening menu. Choose Civilization 4.

Oh man... hearing this brought back many memories. Have to reinstall Civ 4 after such a long exodus from Civ in general.

Beautiful - I have always like CIV IV for its music. The theme song however is just breathtaking.

An epic song for an epic game. :king:

I'm playing cIV again and this song literally brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it. *Sigh* :love:

Top Bottom