Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

V. Soma said:
How many games are you playing simultaneusly? :)

Well, if you play the random map now, have a nice game
and wait with playing CoE Beta v3,
as I will put up a new and "real" first version of that tomorrow morning
(GMT +1 time morning, that is)

I have been playing about 4-5 games simultaneusly (well, not at EXACTLY the same time).

I looked at Beta v3 in the editor, and the unit issues looked to be resolved. I can test it this afternoon (around 3PM CST or New York -1:00) I hope that can help you. I had planned to play last night, but Valentine's celebration and all, didn't have time.

To Barak:
Well, OK, I see if I can solve it to have a look at the forum late in the evening... :)

Just have a look at my thread, I myself had some tests of Beta v3,
I wrote about them there...
One thing is that you can play fast games with CoE,
the standard map indeed means shorter loading time
(no wonder... but still a pleasing feature)

I would just like to thank everyone who worked on this mod, it's the best one out there! :)

P.S.Y.C.H.O. said:
I would just like to thank everyone who worked on this mod, it's the best one out there! :)

Ditto that, the best mod and 6000+ posts proves that!!! Congrats on 6000 posts and you are right rhye, this thread being stickyed does not make up for have a 6000 posts thread. This new thread does deserve to stay stickyed.

Drift said:
I do symphatize your situation. It sucks. However, I don't feel a permanent sticky is the answer. A stickied modpack signals to a casual user that this mod is somehow above the rest, that it has the site's approval and recommendation. It's the best spot a modpack can get in this subforum. And it would be permanently yours. Like I said, I won't know what it feels like to have my old thread taken away from me. MoM will never reach 3000. Out of the current mods, I'm surprised if anyone else but ED will experience it and even that's somewhat unlikely.
I agree with your points, Drift. We certainly don't want to give that impression.

At this point I think making the sticky a temporary one (ex. 2 weeks) is best. This way the new thread got some help in the beginning. After that, the thread would need to be active to remain on the top just like any other file threads.

Rhye said:
I didn't know that. Can you show me the links to those closed threads?
Those new threads were merged back into their main threads after the limit is raised to 3000. That's why you don't see them. :)

whilst on the one hand ROCX has lost some major presitge by losing the 6,000 post thread, i can see how others would be jealous of the lofty status afforded this fledgling thread. still, a couple weeks sticky hardly makes up for the accolades ROCX has earned through the time and effort of its development team.

i would suggest that, rather than sticky this thread, the 6,000 post thread ought to be sticky. in fact, any mod that can generate 3,000 replies ought to be stickied permanently - but only the thread that got there. new threads should earn their keep like any other.

just a couple cents
EW

Enkidu_Warrior said:
whilst on the one hand ROCX has lost some major presitge by losing the 6,000 post thread, i can see how others would be jealous of the lofty status afforded this fledgling thread. still, a couple weeks sticky hardly makes up for the accolades ROCX has earned through the time and effort of its development team.

i would suggest that, rather than sticky this thread, the 6,000 post thread ought to be sticky. in fact, any mod that can generate 3,000 replies ought to be stickied permanently - but only the thread that got there. new threads should earn their keep like any other.

just a couple cents
EW

the old one can't be made sticky because it bring the speed problem back.

I think instead of "time" we need to have it sticky until we reach a good number of posts again (say, 500)

Rhye, I remember reading somewhere in the old thread that there was originally a plan to have scenarios based on Rhye's of Civ. Are these plans still in the planning stage? (other than Aeon's that is)

No, Aeon's carrying on the main scenario project.
All I did now was the MP version.
I'm anxious to try it, because I'm at home with the flue, again (last time was 2 weeks ago, and that's the reason for the making of that map), and I don't know what to do, all day long.
So I'm available anytime. If you can, we can play, regardless of the GMT

Ah, Rhye, so you have time now!
Care to see and try Clashing of Empire, the now born "baby"? :)

I would really appreciate your opinion on it...

Rhye said:
No, Aeon's carrying on the main scenario project.
All I did now was the MP version.
I'm anxious to try it, because I'm at home with the flue, again (last time was 2 weeks ago, and that's the reason for the making of that map), and I don't know what to do, all day long.
So I'm available anytime. If you can, we can play, regardless of the GMT

Can't now, I'm at work. Maybe later this afternoon depending on my RL schedule.

Some time soon I'm gonna get my rear in gear for some possible further development of the mod. I had some ideas a while back but I kinda forgot them around when I got busy with my exams two months ago.
But I think first I need to play a bit on the latest version of the mod. I think I'll continue playing the Germany beta game sporadically but not as my main game, it's just too tedious to play with such a huge empire (because of loading times and enormous amounts of build order - a couple dozen every turn, and that's on slow years.)
My problem is that I wanted to make a fresh install of the game and mod once I get to the updated version, but to continue playing on the beta game I'd have to install the beta as well... Oh well, still better than leaving things as they are. I think I'll do all of that tomorrow.
EDIT: Rhye, be online on ICQ more often, that way we can quickly coordinate a 1v1 game on the multiplayer some time when we're both available... The forums is a bit too slow-moving to coordinate these things in a timely manner.

I have had several good games that i stopped playing when I got into the late industrial period due to just getting boring to play. When my empires got too big, it stopped being fun.

Barak said:
I have had several good games that i stopped playing when I got into the late industrial period due to just getting boring to play. When my empires got too big, it stopped being fun.
I draw alot of satisfaction from managing a huge empire and planning (and then executing) massive invasions. But it's far too tedious to do often and turns are so long that it's not a thing you do for a just a bit but rather an activity for the evening.

Blasphemous said:
I draw alot of satisfaction from managing a huge empire and planning (and then executing) massive invasions. But it's far too tedious to do often and turns are so long that it's not a thing you do for a just a bit but rather an activity for the evening.

Hadn't thought of it that way. I guess I enjoy the challenge of the game. Once I am too powerful, it just isn’t fun. Plus managing all those workers, and dealing with the constant pollution takes away from the fun.

Yeah, when it ceases to be a challenge it really does lose some of its charm... But since I've already won, the challenge is now to dominate the world, and it's still difficult with maniacal leaders like queen Elizabeth throwing nukes everywhere... I know that if I got tangled in a war with England and/or America, it would still not end well. So I have to be careful, take over SE asia, and then possibly some Pacific stuff, and then take over North America in a deadly blitzkrieg from the south... I would have to place enough troops in mexico to conquer my way through the east coast on the turn of the invasion, to avoid major retaliation... And if that's not a challenge, I must really suck at this game. =P

In my most advanced game, I am Arabia, and have taken all of the middle east, Iberia, Italia, Greece, the balkins, and southern europe up to the Alps. My biggest competition is the English, Americans and Japanese. The French and Germans are pests, but have MPP with England, who I am not quite ready to take on yet.

After I controlled the middle east up to but not including Constantinople it was fun to just let the AI declare war on me, and then let my war machine roll over them.

My one wish is if we could figure out a way to stop the AI from settling south of Russia. It is annoying to find those little cities in Siberia and the Urals which do not belong.

Well, I went and did it, a clean install of Civ3, Conquests, and RoX.... Saved me around a gig of space just by getting rid of the piles of old mods that I had installed. :)
I'm gonna go start a new game in RoX, Emperor level, random civ. I won't settle for whatever civ I get, but I'm willing to play most.

Top Bottom