How much would a suitable video card cost?

Darkeagle6

Chieftain
Hello,

I bought Civ V during the Weekend Sale on steam, and, after having tried everything I could (searching all related tech support forums I could find), have to accept that the game will simply not run on my system because of my graphics card (Intel GMA 3100). That's fine, though, I was expecting that; I knew that my graphics card was crap, I bought the game because I knew I would buy it at some point and figured I might as well save money on it.

Now, I'm really not knowledgeable when it comes to graphics cards. I've verified through "can you run it" that everything except the graphics card in my computer can run the game fine (almost everything at least matches the suggested settings, let alone the required ones). So I just thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has a general idea of these things: What kind of money can I expect to spend (when I have that money, that is :p) on a graphics card for this game? About how much does the price vary between a card that can run it "ok" and a card that can run it very well? I'd research this myself, but I have no idea what graphics cards are good, which are less good, etc. Any info source on the subject that might help me learn these things would also be great, if anyone knows any!
Thanks! :)

Thank you for your answer! Like I said, I'm pretty sure that my CPU is fine, I've checked with more than one source, but just in case, I have an Intel Core2 Duo 3.16GHz with 4GB of RAM, running Windows 7 (64-bit). My screen resolution is 1600 x 900, though I had no idea that could cause problems..?

No your CPU and resolution would not cause problems.

But with that low resolution and, for Civ5s graphics demands, relatively modest CPU really fast video cards would not make any difference in Civ5.

It looks like a GTS450 would be about the fastest card that you could make use of in Civ5, good enough for maxed out graphics settings.

NCIX has one for a ridiculously low price (after rebates).

Generally NCIX seem to have really good prices, if you consider to play other modern games besides Civ5, this GTX460 would also be a very good choice, it's a reference design card, i.e. really quiet.

With your system you really do not need >$150 video cards.

Thanks for the answers everyone! It's too bad these offers expire so soon, they'd be great, only I really shouldn't spend that much money yet. Oh well, at least I know what to expect when I can afford one comfortably :)

Thanks for the answers everyone! It's too bad these offers expire so soon, they'd be great, only I really shouldn't spend that much money yet. Oh well, at least I know what to expect when I can afford one comfortably :)

There are new sales every week :)

Top Bottom