Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 10 (-2)
Paper Maker 24 (+1)
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 21

Paper Maker: Since G+K, settling a bunch of cities with these and shrines makes a really intresting approach for an early :c5gold:/:c5faith: based China game. Grab a religion with :c5happy: beliefs and it only gets better.

Mughal Fort: You mean I have to invest 225:c5production: (walls/fort) to get 2:c5culture: and money wayyy in the future? No thanks, I'll just build a 40:c5production: monument.

Woohoo another elimination thread :D

Bazaar 21
Burial Tomb 20
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 16
Floating Gardens 21
Krepost 12
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 10
Paper Maker 24
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 22

Krepost : Worst UB imo. Even the Mugal fort is more useful. Extra border expansion rate is just too lame to even counsider it.

Wat : Nice and versatile UB. You can get it from 2 different ways(legalism and hard build/buy) and it does give extra culture. Extra culture is strong.

Now that it has gotten going, I will go ahead and vote for today.

Bazaar 21
Burial Tomb 20
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 16
Floating Gardens 21
Krepost 10 (-2)
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 10
Paper Maker 24
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 23 (+1)

The only reason to build the Krepost in cities other than the :c5production: powerhouses which are building units is to meet the requirements for the Heroic Epic...but then that is true for the Barracks it replaces too. Just not a very interesting UB.

The Wat...Four free Universities shortly after Education by taking the Legalism social policy? Yes please!

Krepost : Worst UB imo. Even the Mugal fort is more useful. Extra border expansion rate is just too lame to even counsider it.
Is that what it is? I thought you had to buy the tile. That's a little better than what I thought.

Request: Can the OP list which buildings the UB replaces, and what the UB does above the building it replaces? You know, similar to the unique unit elimination thread?

Bazaar 22 (+1)
Burial Tomb 20
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 16
Floating Gardens 21
Krepost 8 (-2)
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 10
Paper Maker 24
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 23

Request: Can the OP list which buildings the UB replaces, and what the UB does above the building it replaces? You know, similar to the unique unit elimination thread?
You can find descriptions of all the buildings here. The building it replaces is always above it in the list (e.g. the Papermaker is listed immediately after the Library which it replaces). If I have some time tomorrow I will update the OP with the information.

Please provide a reason for your vote or the tally will be adjusted. We are all interested in the discussion/debate to learn more about how others play the game.

Bazaar 22
Burial Tomb 20
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 17
Floating Gardens 21
Krepost 8
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 8
Paper Maker 24
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 23

Mughal fort is the worst UB. Krepost have some nice synergy with religious settlements - not powerful, but nice and funny. MF doesn't have anything like that.

Coffe house isn't the most powerful UB, but it deserves some recognition - mainly for being buildable in more place than the building it replaces. Yes, its bonuses aren't so powerful as the from FG, but its still a nice, good and solid UB.

Mughal fort is the worst UB. Krepost have some nice synergy with religious settlements - not powerful, but nice and funny. MF doesn't have anything like that.

The Mughal Fort gets better later in the game when it gives a whopping +3 Gold after Flight is researched. Many people don't realize it's so much as the amount is never explicitly stated anywhere in game. By that time you've also built several gold modifier buildings, so the the gold bonus is not insignificant. You can argue it comes late, but for early game you get the culture bonus. The building is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Bazaar 22
Burial Tomb 21
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 17
Floating Gardens 21
Krepost 6
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 8
Paper Maker 24
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 23

I think we're missing something important here - UB's aren't just for building, in one case they're for breaking and looting! Makes crushing egypt very profitable :)
The krepost, however, provides a super weak ability to a building I won't build in most cities.

Bazaar 22
Burial Tomb 21
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 17
Floating Gardens 21
Krepost 6
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 6 (-2)
Paper Maker 25 (+1)
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 23

Murghal Fort is just a tiny bit better than the building it replaces. And Castle is terrible, requiring Walls, which aren't all too good either...

Paper Maker on the other hand replaces the probably most important building in the game, with a huge upgrade, giving gold in a stage of the game where gold is hard to get from other sources than worked tiles.

The Mughal Fort gets better later in the game when it gives a whopping +3 Gold after Flight is researched. Many people don't realize it's so much as the amount is never explicitly stated anywhere in game. By that time you've also built several gold modifier buildings, so the the gold bonus is not insignificant. You can argue it comes late, but for early game you get the culture bonus. The building is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Yes, the fact that it comes late is my reason why I don't consider it significant. It's innovative and not-so-bad, but late.

Slime's votes

Bazaar 22
Burial Tomb 21
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 17
Floating Gardens 21 + 1 = 22
Krepost 6 - 2 = 4
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 6
Paper Maker 25
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 23

For the downvote: Of all the benefits that a Barrack themed UU could provide, increasing the rate of border expansion has to be one of the least useful. The cities most likely to build Kreposts tend to be those that have no issues with border expansion, in my experience, making the Krepost's benefit effectively useless.

I have no idea what the historical significance of Krepost(s?) are, but I would've rather had the increased rate of border expansion on something more synergistic...like a cultural building, or a building puppets are likely to build, because border expansion CAN be an issue with puppets.

Heck, give me a multiplicative Cultural bonus (+5 % culture per turn for this city) instead of lame Angkor Wat style discounts on tile acquisition.

For the upvote: this one's a bit difficult for me, because buildings don't just don't stand out the way that UAs and UUs do. Still, the Floating Garden is something fairly low on the puppet priority build list, and helps me concentrate my population where I want it.

I don't even know how this is up for debate. Krepost is by far the worst building there, and I'd personally take the Mughal Fort over the Mud Pyramid anyday.

I was hoping someone would do this. :)

Bazaar 22
Burial Tomb 21
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 17
Floating Gardens 22
Krepost 2
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 6
Paper Maker 25
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 24

I'm going to keep the Krepost hate going. I rarely build Barracks. Giving me faster border growth is not going to make me start.

I'm going with the Wat for the upvote. I'm going for a cultural win with Siam right now, and the Wat is proving to be a monster. Extra culture for something I'm going to build anyway.

Bazaar 22
Burial Tomb 21
Ceilidh Hall 21
Coffee House 17
Floating Gardens 22
Krepost 0
Longhouse 19
Mud Pyramid Mosque 20
Mughal Fort 6
Paper Maker 26
Pyramid 22
Satrap's Court 18
Stele 22
Walls of Babylon 17
Wat 24

Off with the Krepost. It's not a bad bonus but sadly on a building you'd only want in 1-3 production centers and none of the puppets ever make it.

On the other hand the paper maker is a great upgrade for a building that's built EVERYWHERE. The upgrade is exceptional in the early stages of the game.

My guess:

Pyramid - Science ICS blitz.
Stele - Prepare to get the first religion.
Paper Maker - effectively +3 gpt replacement, crazy effective in the early game and a puppet empire.
Bazaar - obvious reasons, even the Oasis bonus is decent.
Wat - just because with Legalism instant free universities is INSANE.

I don't even know how this is up for debate. Krepost is by far the worst building there, and I'd personally take the Mughal Fort over the Mud Pyramid anyday.

I'm not quite getting the Mughal Fort hate. Come on, free culture! It's cheaper than it's replacement, and...well, try going for NC (and honor if you can properly conduct slow takeovers to take advantage of India's UA) and they can quickly become superior to more basic buildings that won't get better as the game progresses.

Top Bottom