Excellent Religion Combinations

Hm, I don't think thats how it works, but i might be mistaken.

Itinerant preachers = +3 range. This means a majority city will pressure all cities within 13 tiles with standard pressure. this means more followers (probably only 1 or 2 per city at first) in farther away cities. Thats why I assume its better for things like tithe, which don't care where the 4 followers are.

Religious texts = +% but only within the original 10 tiles. Only majority cities generate this pressure, as well. therefore, religious texts results in a higher percentage of followers within cities that are within 10 tiles of the majority city. This leads to faster majorities, which helps beliefs like ceremonial burial, which only work for majority cities.

Is this incorrect?

This is correct, but to spread even further, of course, you have to make more cities have majority, and here Texts shine.

I had numerous occasions when even my own my cities would gain population faster then pressure would convert citizens and I'd had to stop growth to save on missionaries. Not to mention AI crazy growth speeds :)

I could be mistaken, but it seems that ~100 pressure is needed to convert 1 citizen, so ~16 turns with 6 pressure ~12 turns with 8 pressure. As you have to convert only half of growth to be in majority, that is ~8 turns and ~6 turns respectively.

With Texts you get new majorities sooner and... well, I can't put a mathematical model to it, but with Preachers I had my religion crumble to AI missionaries and with Texts it never did, pressure is too high and you recover fast :)

I could be mistaken, but it seems that ~100 pressure is needed to convert 1 citizen, so ~16 turns with 6 pressure ~12 turns with 8 pressure. As you have to convert only half of growth to be in majority, that is ~8 turns and ~6 turns respectively.

Really?? Can anyone confirm this 100 pressure theory? That would make a lot of sense, but i've never seen that before.

Really?? Can anyone confirm this 100 pressure theory? That would make a lot of sense, but i've never seen that before.

No this doesn't hold. If another religion is present it takes longer. i tried a game with byzantium taking religious texts and itinerant preachers (tough to get but worked v well with tithe). Existing religions were out pressured, but kept their cities religious through GP use. Each time they used the GP, my religion was wiped out, and theirs was kept (and increased by 1000 on top). Each time it took successively more turns to get followers back, even though my pressure on it was constant.

Furthrmore, the first 2 or 3 followers are much easier to get than the one giving you majority - it's sub-linear, even based on proportion of total religion points in the city (with some points allocated to atheism, not sure how this works).

I'm currently playing a game on emperor as Theodora. Huge map, 22 civs, 40 CS.

Obviously, Byzantium's UA makes for the possibility of much more powerful belief combos.

I started in flood plains and desert hills. I was super lucky to meet two religious CS right away, so I had founded a pantheon around turn 10. I chose desert folklore and was already on my way to racking up huge faith points.

My second city took advantage of Mt. Kailash so already I was making 10 FPT on turn 30. My third and forth cities were also on floodplains. I founded a religion very quickly and then enhanced my religion before anyone else had even founded a religion.

My beliefs:
Desert Folklore
+1 happiness per city following this religion
+1% production per follower
Holy Warriors
Spread religion faster
Spread religion further

The desert folklore gave me a huge early boost to FPT and continues to give me massive amounts of FPT.

The production boost has allowed me to build several wonders while the Holy Warriors allows me to keep my military respectable without needing to use hammers for units.

Holy warriors also singlehandedly allowed me to take Seoul with cataphracts. His defense was fairly strong and as I lowered the defenses of Seoul, he was continuously killing my cataphracts, however, with such an excess of faith points, I was able to immediately purchase a new cataphract in my closest city for each one that he killed (i only had 4 horses available) so it was as if i had an infinite supply of cataphracts, and I eventually took Seoul, all while building wonders and buildings in my cities.

Religion spreads faster AND further...a combination only possible with Theodora. The map settings are absolutely perfect for this combination. Oh yeah! It spreads like wildfire. And I have a massive amount of happiness from the +1 happiness per city

I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet given the length of the discussion.

Has anyone thought of the benefits of not pursuing religion?

I am currently playing a large oval immortal game as Russia.
I am not the greatest at getting a fast start to religion, so being on immortal the AI quickly took all the best religous beliefs. right then, I decided to not even try for faiths, so I focused my production on other stuff.

I have been playing a pretty diplomatic game and made lots of friends, all my friend denouce mongolia, one of my neighboors. but mongolia's religion is now my religion, making Genghis love me dispite being friends with all his enemies.

I am doing pretty good, and now its industrial age and religion is becoming less important... the biggest issue I am finding is a lack of happiness which some beliefs could have helped with.

I am curious if anyone else thinks it is acceptable to ignore religion like this? obviously the benefits are huge, but you still get follower beliefs!

Has anyone thought of the benefits of not pursuing religion?

I am curious if anyone else thinks it is acceptable to ignore religion like this? obviously the benefits are huge, but you still get follower beliefs!

Did this just the other day on an OCC science game. Ethiopia spread their religion to me while I was building Petra (didn't even have a shrine) and I found it perfectly usable - desert faith pantheon (I was surrounded by desert - perfect for accumulating faith to purchase late game GS and other great people) and pagodas and holy warriors as follower beliefs.

The faith started pouring in and before I knew it I had spawned a prophet with one religion still able to be founded. But, when I went to found, I saw nothing but trash for available pantheon, founder and follower beliefs (e.g., Messenger of the Gods was available, which hardly works for an OCC game). So, I decided to keep Ethiopia's religion and planted the prophet to create a holy site. Turn 242 science victory on Diety, so no problems here with following another civ's religion.

I really don't know, 100 seems nice :)

Just try to count the turns and calculate the pressure on isolated city with only your pressure.

If city has even population you have to get to 3,5 (of 6 pop) so last one would take a bit longer.

those are only from the the 'into the renessance' scenario right?

protestantism is quite op but thats because it comes late and should spread like wildfire ti give the players who start in the middle if europe a chance to earn viktory points for reformation wars

Yea I know, but its sill a geat reigion. The funny things is that even though it is OP the Ai's reject in and spam misionaries instead

This is correct, but to spread even further, of course, you have to make more cities have majority, and here Texts shine.

I had numerous occasions when even my own my cities would gain population faster then pressure would convert citizens and I'd had to stop growth to save on missionaries. Not to mention AI crazy growth speeds :)

With Texts you get new majorities sooner and... well, I can't put a mathematical model to it, but with Preachers I had my religion crumble to AI missionaries and with Texts it never did, pressure is too high and you recover fast :)
I don't think this simple calculation holds up, particularly, I don't think halting growth will necessarily help your religion spread, quite on the contrary it seems that when a city grows there's a very high likelyhood that the new citizen will come with a religion, thus actually help you crank up the ratio of believers. However, as with anything, the exact mechanism behind this is completely intransperrant and illogical. :mad:

I remember once I had captured a city, and it was following my enemies religion (with something like 4 believers of his vs. 3 of mine) but pressure of mine was far greater than his (something like +50 from mine and +12 from his) - so I figured I'd just let city grow a couple of times to gain some more followers of mine to outnumber his instead of burning an inquisitor or GP-charge on it. However, each time the city grew it added believers of his religion in spite of mine having much greater pressure. I guess this was because his religion was dominant in the city, or maybe it was just bad luck on random rolls, but it would still seem more logical if religion with highest pressure = most likely belief of new citizen.

Top Bottom