Everyone declared war against me

I am a little surprised that conquering 1 city-state got the OP dogpiled like that. The last game where I had the entire world declare war on me was because I attacked a CS early in the game, Germany asked me to end the war and I did (just needed a worker), then later annexed the city and somehow "broke my promise" to Germany. This was a huge diplomatic hit and caused a cascade of denouncements, including from friends. Add in that I had already attacked my too-close-for-comfort neighbors, and...world war.

But I've played games where nobody really cared that I took a CS. Just need to do it early in the game.

I think the main problem is the fact that a city State is basically a small independent country is not emphasised enough. The Player never gets the feeling that he`s attacking a Civilization or a nation.

And it`s no surprise, as City states don`t come across as other civilizations: you can`t have diplomacy with them, they don`t expand and all they do is whine about other City states. They`re not even very big. They`re little more than barbarians. There`s really nothing in reality to compare them to. No wonder a player feels like he can just take one with no come back.

If City States were designed to more like normal Civs, then the Player might think twice before attacking.

Top Bottom