Batty Diplomacy

Djinn8

Chieftain
I can't make head nor tails of what is going on in my latest game regarding the diplomacy.

I ran into England around turn 20 and they denounce me the very next turn :sad:

I started the game pushed right up against The Huns, who have built two cities to match my own two. They DOW me and I push them back and follow through, taking both their cities. The entire known-world, bar Denmark, denounces me for been a warmonger and building to aggressivly. This includes three civs who I had a DOF with and none of the civs were friendly with Huns.

Trying to win back some friends I notice that Mongolia is at war with China (Guarded: "no shaping events") and is having a denouncment war with Denmark. I denounce Mongolia myself then declare war. China denounces me instantly and the tool tip still says "no shaping events". Denmark seem to like my actions though.

It really grates on me when this sort of thing happens because it makes it impossible to play the diplo game. How can I be considered to be building cities to aggressivly when I only have four? (Mongolia had DOF with 4 civs, had 6 cities and was constantly warring). Been punished for defending your lands also sucks. It was me or the Huns, neither had room to expand beyond two cities so what was I supposed to do here?

Well, rant over. Use this thread to lament the AI diplomacy I guess.

I've had similar games like this. Elizabeth is almost always like this.

My game today, immortal huge continents 22civs 32cs, started just west of denmark, south of temujin. Harold dow's me, i repel while building more military, eventually take his capitol, mongols dow, i take second viking city, rest of continent dows me, I defend, take mongolian capitol, everyone shuts up and wants to be friends.

I know, also, on lower difficulties it's impossible to play a diplo game because they'll always hate on you for being in the lead. You can't win the game, the whole time, and expect a competitor to be your friend. To have good, meaningful diplo games you need to need each other.

Welcome to politics?

Do you expect your neighbours to like you when there is land up for grab and you're taking even some of it?

I think the whole craziness and unpredictability is part of what makes this game good. It would just be too easy, too plain and too boring and uneventful if you were permitted to build up an empire of 6-10 cities, with everyone friendly until you decide your in a good position to kill em all.

I understand it can be frustrating, i get frustrated too. But i think the diplomacy is logical for the large part, not punishing enough to match with the reality of the past and one of those charms that keeps me coming back to this game since each one can be so different.

By the way, take note of everyone's personality. I find Elizabeth to be the most cold and punishing person after Catherine, but more tetchy. And Wu is stand off-ish and isolationist, sometimes to the extreme, and you were getting up in her business. Besides, you'd knocked out a civ, were attacking Mongolia (presumably her neighbour) and were seemingly rampaging towards her lands. What would you do if a successful army was conquering towards you and taking out a civ you can't deal with already?

Never wipe out a civ if you plan on making friends later. They will see you as committing genocide and a threat to the world. Even if the civ declared on you, leave them with atleast one city or else prepare for the hatred.

Well not entirely true ^

In GK if you wipe out a civ before other civs meet that civ - those civs won't care about your actions.

Top Bottom