Wars and Scores

StrategyMaster4

Chieftain
I'm here to ask somewhat of a (I think...) noob question, even though I'm an experienced player.

I recently noticed that wars generally increase your score. I had a war, starting with lowest score, and after taking one city my score upped to be the highest in the game. I have a few thoughts about this, mainly being that you are adding a city to your empire (increasing your score), and taking away a city from your opponent (lowering his score).

Also, You're upping your "soldiers" demographic by lowering your opponents'.

This can be said about many things, (resources, relations, wonders, etc.), but other than that, is there some score modifier when you go to war? Its generally the civs that go to war that have the highest scores.

I never heard of such a modifier, or any way that war directs your score directly, but maybe I've just been ignorant the whole time?

No need to apologize on newb questions, Civ is such a complex game I'm forever finding out things.

If you go to the victory progress screen, you will see the answer to your question on the left side where your score is broken down by category. When you are at war you are taking from the other side and adding to your own in those categories. Not only cities but population, land and wonders add up for you and get subtracted from the loser of a city.

This is why I don't get too concerned if I am not the point leader in a game. I even turned off the feature that allows you to see the scores at all times. If I am moving along with my own strategy for victory, I don't worry that some warmonger is taking cities...though using diplomacy and being prepared for him don't hurt!

There is a section of the civilopedia that talks about score. It has some decent information there.

From what I remember, it says the biggest deciding factor in your score is wonders. Wonders count for more than anything else, so if you take a city full of them, you should shoot up pretty quickly.

Playing on a smaller map, number of hexes might mean a decent amount too, so a successful war in that case could add more score due to gaining cities and land than the same gain on a larger map.

Thanks, this is mostly what I thought, that tthings from another civ and adding it to yourself ups your score.

Thanks! Got that resolved...

Top Bottom