Will a Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB cut it?

leftisthominid

Warlord
I am running an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ with a Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB and 2GB of RAM.

I know my hardware is probably not optimal, but will I have significant problems?

I had one of those video cards a couple years ago (I believe I bought it back in 2006 or early 2007), the system requirements state:
256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better

Is the X1950 considered better than the 2600? Does it support all the things that the game will utilize, shaders etc?

I had one of those video cards a couple years ago (I believe I bought it back in 2006 or early 2007), the system requirements state:
256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better

Is the X1950 considered better than the 2600? Does it support all the things that the game will utilize, shaders etc?

Yes in both cases. It lacks DX10, but that is optional.

The X1950 Pro is vastly better than a 2600 XT, but not even as good as a 3850.

I had an Athlon 4400+ with 4 Gb ad an X1900 xt, and I can say that the X1900 / X1950 were definately the most powerful DX9 cards ever made.

I am sure it will be completely fine at medium settings.

The X1950 Pro is vastly better than a 2600 XT, but not even as good as a 3850.

I had an Athlon 4400+ with 4 Gb ad an X1900 xt, and I can say that the X1900 / X1950 were definately the most powerful DX9 cards ever made.

I am sure it will be completely fine at medium settings.

I'm pretty sure it's actually the Radeon 3870 X2

Why does ATI give weaker cards higher numbers just because they are newer... it just confuses people...

Anyways thanks for the answers.

Why does ATI give weaker cards higher numbers just because they are newer... it just confuses people...

Anyways thanks for the answers.

It's all about marketing.

Just like they use to name their middle or lower end consumer cards with the 'Pro' naming, the mass consumer audience thought that meant that it was the best so when they went into places like Best Buy that have the mass consumer cards, people thought they were getting the best model available. I bought into this thinking with their what was it, a 16## something card that had the pro label on it thinking I was getting the top of the line, then people told me that I had just bought the middle of the road card and should have gotten bla bla bal card instead.

Now, you keep raising the number of the card so that people think it's the next in the line of progression even if it's not better than the last gen cards to sell them.

I'm pretty sure it's actually the Radeon 3870 X2

No, the X1900 / X1950 are about 20-33% slower than the 3850. They are more around 4650 performance.

It's all about marketing.

Now, you keep raising the number of the card so that people think it's the next in the line of progression even if it's not better than the last gen cards to sell them.

No, this isnt actually true. Its exactly the same for both Nvidia and ATI, you need to understand the nomenclature.

The first number(s) in the card name indicates the series thet the card is based on.

E.G. ATI (X)800 = ATI 10 range. ATI (X1)800 = ATI 11 range. ATI HD (2)600 = ATI 12 range with the X now gone, bringing the name back down to 2.

Then the second number after the one reffering to the generation is the performance point of the card relative to its own series only.

ATI 4(8)50 is the high performance range of the HD 4000 cards. ATI HD 2(6)00 is the mid performance range, ATI 5(4)50 is the barebones complete budget range which is usually inferior for games, and meant to be for non gaming computers.

An ATI HD 2600 is far slower than an X1800 because it is not a high end performance part, but it is an improvement over the previous mid range X1600. An ATI 5670 is actually slower than an ATI 4850, as it is the mid range card of the 5 series, not a high end card, while the 4850 is a high end card of the 4 series.

Top Bottom