Having Serious Installation Issues

The.Kelso

Chieftain
Hey all,

I recently purchased Civ 5, and installed it on my three computers (Using a DVD, haven't tried DL'ing it from Steam yet).

The first is the newest, and runs Windows XP (Editon I can't remember). The installation went great - got going and played the game.

The second was installed onto my first laptop. I'm not entirely sure why, but I was forced to remove & re-install Civ 5 from it a couple of times before it worked (And why in the hell do I have to nstall DX 9/11 EVERY TIME!? /rageoff). The operating system there was WIN 7.

The third installation is going onto my second laptop, which uses Windows 7 - and is the one causing me to shoot kittens. There are two errors going on, neither of which I can understand:

1 - Steam just doesn't seem to want to open. It openned after installing Steam, but afterwards it will not open if closed in the sidebar. This is after installing it and uninstalling it twice over and running it as an admin. I just don't get it.

2 - Upon installing Civ 5 (AND !@#$% DX 9/11 !@#$% /rageoff) I proceed to try and run the game. Here comes the fun. If Steam does actually does manage to do its job and open, and I click "Play Civ 5", a box opens up saying "Completing Installation", and I proceed to get stuck at 2% - eventually netting me an error message "Incomplete Installation (16).

I have Googled several times, tried to wade through 2K's HORRID FAQ site, and I gots nothin'.

Also, this is my first time using Steam, and it is making me want to stick to console gaming (and WoW) very quickly. At least WoW is consistent in how it wastes my time. :p

I'd appreciate any helpful responses.

~ Kelso

EDIT: For clarity.

Welcome to CFC :).

...i guess you'll not be happy about this answer...but you don't really have to install Steam + Civ everywhere separatly, you could have copied all the stuff from your first installation to some external drive and then move it onto your other computers.
Steam would then have to connect to the internet to verify the account, and should then do the necessary things (if needed).
(okay, not an expert at that field, but that's how it is told here)
So...that's probably a thing you should try with your last PC, because you know that you have a working installation at the others.

I have the exact same problem. Tried deleting the .blob file but it made no difference.

I'm getting the Incomplete Installation(16) and sometimes the (3) error messages but my internet is fine and I've turned off all the apps they say might be the problem.

I have the same problem and there is at least one post on 2K forums reporting the same, no issue yet and this problem probably started recentyl because I installed the game yesterday fine.

I had CIV 5 installed for awhile now but I uninstalled it yesterday to get some work done. I tried installing it tonight and I got that error. I've unistalled and reinstalled several times. I have rebooted, reinstalled steam, addressed the error 16 in the ways that STEAM wants me to, I've reinstalled steam to a different location, deleted my saved games directory, etc. Still no go.

I've also tried diabling updates and cloud. still nothing. I've installed other STEAM games and they work.

The launcher will load if clicked on the steam directory but the other civ executables do nothing.

core i7 860
8GB DDR3
windows 7 x64
Nvidia 470
128MB SSD / 1TB Hard drive

Steam suddenly does open on command now... but I am still stuck @ 2%. :(

Thanks J, I'll give that a go. But in all honesty, games should never require this much work to enjoy.

This trend seems to be spreading in gaming too - Fable 2 & 3 are prime examples as well, where you have to go through an hour (Usually more) of kitten punching before you can play the game. Either that, or me and many others have severely bad luck.

All of a sudden for no reason its working. Must have been a server issue. Huzzah!

Top Bottom