World War II 1939 - A Civilization IV Modification

- Please find a german translator!!
what is it means ?

we work about mod since 8 month, and nobody very small people helped ous. so its a beta, ok, reports bug, ok but this is too more. please if you want help ous send messages to me or asio.

ITS BETA VERSION !!!. If you don't want play. NOT PLAY.

Mr Hardner please show ous what you did ???

And I have some problem with V1 and and the ballistic missile the don´t attack.
And later units adds would be nice to have some allied jet fighter like Gloster Meteor, and the jump from mig-3 to mig-15 is so big so maybe MiG-9 would be good. And maybe scud missile but they entered service 1957 so maybe not

We won't spread further in cold war age - this isn't our target. About Mig-15 (wich was introduced in 1949) - We had model by Nautil and for Mig-9 we don't have any model - and new model means 10 hours of work. They won't be Gloster Meteor (for allies they are already this jets: airacomet (gloster metoer would fit better - but this 10 hours of work can be used in other place), dassault ouragane and de havilland vampire)

Maybe 10% could go to neighboring (friendly) cities. . .Just a thought.

I don't anything but SDK and Python but we could try

My two cents:
1939 Scenario
- Costs: technology, building and unit costs are way too high
-- Time: 1 week = 1 turn would fit to current costs
- Victory conditions: create different unique and historical victory conditions for each nation/team. You can ask Rhye about this. It was insane to achieve diplomatic victory in August '42 while playing Germany, score almost 1 Million.
- Nations and alliances: please create more civs. This Nation League thing is horrible. At least Spain, Greece, Turkey, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland, Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslawia, Egypt and Iraque are needed. Iraque and Egypt as vassals of Britain. Create preassigned alliances like Britain/France/Greece and later after the fall of Paris remove France and add Poland and also create Germany/Italy/Romania. After the fall of Paris France should become a german vassal and all french european cities should become german. Beirut should from now on attend to Free France, which is just added in-game as a new civ. Paasky handled that well in his mod. Same for fall of England.
- Cities: Please rework the buildings in cities. Preset factories and everything that has already been built that time. I think every city needs rework. You cannot go to war while building up your basic infrastructure.
- Additional wonders: What about event triggered wonders like the "Atlantikwall" or the "Ostwall"? Just like the great wall. If certain cities are captured the buildings will be available. A WWII style border defence line was published some days ago in the graphics section.
- Backgrounds: the images are great! But it is weird to look at some screens, because the information gets lost. All backgrounds in black and white would also look very nice. Also the blue interface colour doesn't fit to the mod.
- Remove or change United Nations. An agreement not to built nuclear weapons in 1940 makes no sense, remove diplomatic victory
- Mussolini: He has some red spots on his head
- Russian Waffen SS??? How come? I got attacked by those!?
- Infantry IV in many neutral cities just in the beginning? Impossible to conquer.
- Make USA stay neutral until '41 or certain events.
- Gibraltar was under american control
- Germany has no state religion in the beginning
- Germany should have Blitzkrieg in the beginning, when I researched this tech, the whole war was just over.
- Fill empty places on map with cities (Turkey, Iraque, East Russia, Finland), settlers founded way too many new cities.
- Weird promotions for preset units. They just have proms which same later built units cannot get.
- Settler in central Germany cannot build Wolfsburg due to minimum distance to other cities.
- Please find a german translator!!
- So much for now

Anyways great start for a mod with great potential!!:goodjob:
New graphics, buildings and units are just amazing!!

- Weird preset promotions would be fixed
- we don't plan to make events - events are good for single scenario (and maps) mods - how did you see this in different scenarios? - Me? i don't see this. Things from Rhye's or Passky mod or event's like making Vichy won't work. This mod is intended for more scenarios and changing not replaying history.
- Magineotte Line and Atlantic Wall (ala Great wall) is simulated by improvments wich doesn't have such restrictions like great wall has.
- Why Settler should build Wolfsburg?
- Cities would get more improvments
- Nations means to much work - we would add it slowly and only needed for scenarios
- In 1939 Month would be turned to week
- Germany discovered Blitzkrieg during invasion to poland and developed during invasion to france and netherlands and belgium.
- About German translator - if we found anyone who would like to do translate to other languages - we will make it - but we won't waste resources and time of our team for translating to other languages - especially in case noone from our team speaks german fluently

Any kind of progress with white flag problem?
I am sorry if i am pressuring you with this but i would be very happy to get play this great mod :)

Not yet i was working on other front - 3D graphics recently
It would be made to the end of weekend - sorry you have to wait for this

M4 Shermans and MK VI Crusader tanks have 1 to 51 first strikes. Im sure this is a bug, else my precious tigers are kitty litter =)

Ideas for later builds perhaps...
Would it be possible to get up with Kael and others about implementing a retreat system for defending units? This was done in FFH2 I believe. It would be a great feature to have as it would reduce the necessary number of units required. Perhaps throw in some code so that 'outflanked' units are annihilated. Outflanking could be done by checking if there arent any open squares that aren't adjacent to enemy units or squares controlled by friendly units.

That would be a huge tactical addition to the game as the German's favorite tactic was a pincer attack followed by encirclement and destruction.

Another thing I would personally like to see is cultural conquest. Where military units 'flip' the culture of the square they occupy. So to liberate cultural land, the home force would actually have to move a unit back over the 'flipped' square to flip it back to the first owner.

I like the idea with retreating of forces, also cultural conquest sounds well - i'm not sure if and can it be done (it needs a lot of work in sdk and python)

about "uber-tanks" - yes it's mistake and it would be fixed

"The first practical implementations of these concepts coupled with modern technology were instituted by the Wehrmacht in the opening theatres of World War II. " from english Wikipedia.
Blitzkrieg idea is very old but without Guderians "achtung Panzer" it won't exist. It was develpoed and tested during the Fall Weiss and Fall Gelb Operations under this - before that battles it was just an idea one from one of the many possible tactics

- we don't plan to make events - events are good for single scenario (and maps) mods - how did you see this in different scenarios? - Me? i don't see this. Things from Rhye's or Passky mod or event's like making Vichy won't work. This mod is intended for more scenarios and changing not replaying history.

There could be a non-event mod and another for just the main scenario with certain features. Just an impression.
A capitulation due to the fall of the capital or certain major cities just represents what happens in reality. This is not about changing history though. If Germany would reach its historical objective in your scenario, the Endsieg, wouldn't it be the ultimate victory condition for Germany??

- Magineotte Line and Atlantic Wall (ala Great wall) is simulated by improvments wich doesn't have such restrictions like great wall has.

These lines as a new terrain feature (like rivers) with wall graphics could probably work. Can't the way a wall is built on the map be scripted?

- Why Settler should build Wolfsburg?

Well Wolfsburg was founded in '38 just in the area where this settler is. Can't this have a correlation to the scenario?

- Nations means to much work - we would add it slowly and only needed for scenarios

Will the 1939 scenario have some additional civs?

- Germany discovered Blitzkrieg during invasion to poland and developed during invasion to france and netherlands and belgium.

"It was first popularised [...] describing the 1939 German invasion of Poland. Published on September 25 1939, well into the campaign, the account reads:

The battlefront got lost, and with it the illusion that there had ever been a battlefront. For this was no war of occupation, but a war of quick penetration and obliteration—Blitzkrieg, lightning war. Swift columns of tanks and armored trucks had plunged through Poland while bombs raining from the sky heralded their coming. They had sawed off communications, destroyed animal, scattered civilians, spread terror. Working sometimes 30 miles (50 km) ahead of infantry and artillery, they had broken down the Polish defenses before they had time to organize. Then, while the infantry mopped up, they had moved on, to strike again far behind what had been called the front."

"...it was already used in the military Journal "Deutsche Wehr" in 1935, [...]. Another appearance is in 1938"

"The Reichswehr and Red Army collaborated in wargames and tests in Kazan and Lipetsk beginning in 1926."

"It should be noted that early forms of Blitzkrieg were used in the First World War - most notably by General Alexei Brusilov in Russia's Brusilov Offensive of 1916 and Britain's General Allenby in the Battle of Megiddo in September 1918, making heavy use of armored vehicles, quick-strike cavalry attacks, and aerial bombardment to facilitate a swift and decisive victory. The Germans themselves used a variation of such tactics in their 1918 Spring Offensive."

"Following Germany's military reforms of the 1920s, Heinz Guderian emerged..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-139106117.html

A complete Blitzkrieg concept was used for the invasion of Poland in September 1939, so it should be available from the beginning. It was discovered and early-stage developed way before.

- About German translator - if we found anyone who would like to do translate to other languages - we will make it - but we won't waste resources and time of our team for translating to other languages - especially in case noone from our team speaks german fluently

what is it means ?

we work about mod since 8 month, and nobody very small people helped ous. so its a beta, ok, reports bug, ok but this is too more. please if you want help ous send messages to me or asio.

In some parts the mod looks horrible in different languages (not just about german); empty spots where words and information should be and a mix between english words and those from other languages. Most of the nicest and most popular mods have translations. There are guys in these forums who can be asked. Or an announcement in the main section. For my part I don't have barely time to finish off just a map since a year.

ITS BETA VERSION !!!. If you don't want play. NOT PLAY.

Just ideas and critics. Input always made good mods. If you don't want it it's ok, but that's not about beta-testing for real. BTW, objectivity and related politeness is a good thing!

Mr Hardner please show ous what you did ???

See attachment

Attachments

• AutoSave_n. Chr.-1943-März.CivWarlordsSave
    247.8 KB · Views: 205
There could be a non-event mod and another for just the main scenario with certain features. Just an impression.
A capitulation due to the fall of the capital or certain major cities just represents what happens in reality. This is not about changing history though. If Germany would reach its historical objective in your scenario, the Endsieg, wouldn't it be the ultimate victory condition for Germany??

Hmm the problem is i'm quite good in graphics, and except compilling source code i don't know anything about SDK and Python. PeteT helps us a lot, but surely some extra help would be great too. Perhaps we will make this kind of mod addon - the main problem is size of the mod - so the mod is used as platform for creating different scenarios - making different mods for scenarios means that the space on hdd it takes it grows very fast. it takes on hdd 367 mb - three different scenarios using changed mod means more than 1 gb of data.

These lines as a new terrain feature (like rivers) with wall graphics could probably work. Can't the way a wall is built on the map be scripted?

And whats wrong for example with trenches and bunkers? It doesn't need no scripting and it's good for defending (if not i can increase defending bonus) - You can easilly simulate line of zigfrid, maginote, mannerheim, atlantic wall, with minefields around the bunkers this kind of bunker wall is very hard to pass. I now they are still issues with trenches and entaglements but they could be (in theory now :)) setuped by soldiers

Well Wolfsburg was founded in '38 just in the area where this settler is. Can't this have a correlation to the scenario?

It's due the size of map (the frequent issue of civ4 maps) - for example Gdansk has free city status managed by league of nation, and Poland has it's own harbour in Gdynia - city builded just before WW2 - and there's no place for Gdynia and Gdansk - so there's only Gdansk in Game. So the size of map is issue in that case and in thecase of Wolfsburg

Will the 1939 scenario have some additional civs?
I leave this for scenarios creators. Personally i would like to see in this scenario Spain and Turkey and Finland but other nations would be also interesting - it means more diplomacy and more fun. More nations if not in this scenario, perhaps in other scenarios - and not quick - it takes much times to finish one nation with units sounds, leader etc

A complete Blitzkrieg concept was used for the invasion of Poland in September 1939, so it should be available from the beginning. It was discovered and early-stage developed way before.
Ok there's huge pression on adding Blitzkrieg to the Germans - they will have it :)

In some parts the mod looks horrible in different languages (not just about german); empty spots where words and information should be and a mix between english words and those from other languages. Most of the nicest and most popular mods have translations. There are guys in these forums who can be asked. Or an announcement in the main section. For my part I don't have barely time to finish off just a map since a year.

Yup they are only english and polish version playable (still the're are bugs and TXT_ but we're fixing it) - the rest is mess cause we don't have translators in that languages - so there appear english words and empty spots. For non english languages it's another problem - changed game font so some west european letters apears as central european :mischief:

Just ideas and critics. Input always made good mods. If you don't want it it's ok, but that's not about beta-testing for real. BTW, objectivity and related politeness is a good thing!

Ok, thx for ideas and finding bugs, even that some cannot be made/fixed

BTW nice conquers :)

Hmm the problem is i'm quite good in graphics, and except compilling source code i don't know anything about SDK and Python. PeteT helps us a lot, but surely some extra help would be great too. Perhaps we will make this kind of mod addon - the main problem is size of the mod - so the mod is used as platform for creating different scenarios - making different mods for scenarios means that the space on hdd it takes it grows very fast. it takes on hdd 367 mb - three different scenarios using changed mod means more than 1 gb of data.

True, is there probably a way to have two mods using just one mod folder?

And whats wrong for example with trenches and bunkers? It doesn't need no scripting and it's good for defending (if not i can increase defending bonus) - You can easilly simulate line of zigfrid, maginote, mannerheim, atlantic wall, with minefields around the bunkers this kind of bunker wall is very hard to pass. I now they are still issues with trenches and entaglements but they could be (in theory now :)) setuped by soldiers

You're right, but I was always annoyed that there can only be this 1 tile improvement. In packed central Europe you need every tile developed for economy and growth to maintain a powerful empire. That's why I like that GreatWall/river style defence line

It's due the size of map (the frequent issue of civ4 maps) - for example Gdansk has free city status managed by league of nation, and Poland has it's own harbour in Gdynia - city builded just before WW2 - and there's no place for Gdynia and Gdansk - so there's only Gdansk in Game. So the size of map is issue in that case and in thecase of Wolfsburg

Was just guessing if you was putting intention into that. Wolfsburg was found to create the Volkswagen corporation which still exists.

I leave this for scenarios creators. Personally i would like to see in this scenario Spain and Turkey and Finland but other nations would be also interesting - it means more diplomacy and more fun. More nations if not in this scenario, perhaps in other scenarios - and not quick - it takes much times to finish one nation with units sounds, leader etc

Yup they are only english and polish version playable (still the're are bugs and TXT_ but we're fixing it) - the rest is mess cause we don't have translators in that languages - so there appear english words and empty spots. For non english languages it's another problem - changed game font so some west european letters apears as central european :mischief:

True, hopefully there will be some dudes who will help you with that. Opening a recruiting or call for help thread in the main section works sometimes. You just get more attention.

Ok there's huge pression on adding Blitzkrieg to the Germans - they will have it :)

:D Thank you!

Ok, thx for ideas and finding bugs, even that some cannot be made/fixed

Looking forward to the next update, I will play the current update later on or tomorrow

BTW nice conquers :)

:) I just feel that capitalizing is some kind of offence and I thought Kodzi was annoyed by my critisicm. I just want to give my impressions. What's considered for the game or not is up to you guys;)
I like this mod a lot, what has been done graphically is simply amazing. But for me not only graphics make a good mod. If cIV is modded indepth to realistic circumstances for a specific scenario like WWII, this mod will be more than great.

Hi, my first post. Your MOD is terrific, it's made me play Civ IV again. Two things:

1. Earlier post I think said Gibraltar was American, not British. It was British.
2. Blitzkreig tactics were created in and after World War One, but first implemented in Spain during the 1936 revolution. Germany supplied air power, and helped coordinate land units of Spain (with German and Italian "advisors") to test the theories. By the 1939 invasion of Poland the Blitzkreig tactics were tested and ready; the Stuka-88 and Mark I-IV tanks were light on armor (except the few Mark IV's created in 1939), but very mobile which was essential to breaching the weak defensive positions with air and tank. Since the mobility of the tanks were designed to breach, then encircle defensive positions (thus cutting off their retreat after the initial strike), and since that tactic was tested and used in actual battle since 1936 by Germany, I think you should give Germany the Blitzkreig research ability for the 1933 (?), and it should already be researched in the 1939 scenario.

Still a great mod, and I look forward to playing the new 1939 revision.

I have nothing but compliments for all the makers of these scenarios. I have been playing and checking them out and I am quite impressed. One can easily see that a lot of work has been put into these.
To the makers of these: You should be very proud of them, they are great.

The only thing i would have done is to add a few cities to America and Soviet Union...but you can't make everyone's ideal scenario. Great work to all of those involved!

Not to go off-topic, but what can do you in a mod using warlord that you cannot do in regular civ 4?

I've been playing Ffh2 mod for a while now, and judging by what they are achieving in terms of gameplay and features with regular civ4, i wonder why people are creating mod for warlords?

I have nothing but compliments for all the makers of these scenarios. I have been playing and checking them out and I am quite impressed. One can easily see that a lot of work has been put into these.
To the makers of these: You should be very proud of them, they are great.

The only thing i would have done is to add a few cities to America and Soviet Union...but you can't make everyone's ideal scenario. Great work to all of those involved!

Thanks for the compliment :clap: and since I see you have played the 1933world scenario I will ask:
If I add say, Seattle and Fairbanks and one or two others for the U.S., what cities would they be? Have you played as the U.S. and would that make them too powerful? :hmm:
Soviets already have the highest count of cities - what cities would you say are missing that are important in the 1933 scenario, without unbalancing? :undecide:

I appreciate the game play feedback on this game as I have not been able to play it through with more than 3 nations (as Germany, India, Japan; and partially with U.S., Australia, Soviet, etc) due to the length of this scenario; and the human can always win at war better than the A.I. I will also have to re-consider how to win diplomatically when the mod is changed in the next week or so to remove elements of this, especially for the little guys...:sad:

Pay no attention to the detail junkies who want every country and conceivable unit to be included; you've done a fine job at balancing and shouldn't add anything new yet. The only thing I saw that needed revision are the non-icbm missiles, the atomic ones with are range of 1 cannot be used on the players soil, so they don't really do much. You could increase the range to 2 and lower the yield to 1 square to make more them effective. And the non-nukes I couldn't even figure out how to use. But it's great other than that.

re:1933 scenario
Germany is too powerful. I'd suggest scaling back the production power and military building bonuses in some cities, esp. Frankfurt, München, Hamburg.

Another tack would be to lower the military might at the beginning, so that heavy military production only begins in earnest at 1933, without enough might to easily conquer a few cities at the start. Playing as Germany, it was too easy to completely conquer the neutral and Russian lands before 1939. Shouldn't be able to run that fast with Germany's army.

a couple more city spelling corrections : Copenhagen, Ottawa

Are the wonders for the 1933 scenario fixed?

Not necessarily - depending on what you mean? :confused: The newer update due in a day or two will have several existing wonders prebuilt in the 1933 and D-Day versions, due to various reasons. :mischief:

If you mean do we plan on adding more - probably not at this time - until the new nations are added.

Top Bottom