A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

Hi all and welcome Keldath.
Have just downloaded the latest update, will have a look as soon as possible and provide feedback (if required). I Haven't seen Croxis online recently maybe he's having problems with modelling the transport. I suppose now we have most of the races sorted we are going to have to start looking at Race/Leader traits, buildings etc.

@ Premier Valle

the issue with the FF fighter is, that in the nif there are already three models (vertices around 500, so together 1500). As i animated the starfury i figured this out (too late because the model was already finished). Because i didn´t wanted to get an ploycount overkill i didn´t added the starfury to the FF fighter animation (i would ended in around 4500 vertices). So i used the standard fighter animation (one model)

I have no idea how you can change the squad size by the standard fighter and get all fightes to attack, but if you figure it out i would suggest you lower the squad size (if you really have a size 6 starfury squad, it has around 9000 vertices, to high imo for a standard unit the game).

if you want it like you wrote you must work with the FF fighter nif and exchange the model there (starfury instead of the standard fighter model, perhaps its even possible the get six fighter) and change the possitions of the node (but be aware it will be a high poly model)
there are some tutorials how to handle nif out there. (i´m not an expert in working with nifs). This was the reason for including a non animated nif.

the best solution would be for a unit of squad size 3 or 6 a new low polycount model (400 - 500 vertices). It loses details but because the induvidual model is also smaller than a single one in game it shouldn´t hurt too much.

Ciao
The_Coyote

I'm still trying to play catchup with blender. There have been quite a few updates sense I last really used it. I want to get through a couple more video tutorials before I tackle the project.

What is the polygon count you would like for units?

Hi all, no update today, sorry, something came across.

Wellcome keldath and The_Coyote :beer::beer::beer: (told ya there was plenty of :beer: around here (mostly on my posts :D *hick*:D)

@ The_Coyote
A pleasure to have you on board. As you have stated the FF fighter has the three models within the nif, and I believe that this is because you can't make all the squad's fighters to attack together, so a nif with all the starfuries would be the easiest solution. :mischief:
I haven't been successfull on making all attack, perhaps it can be done, but I'm loosing my faith in that quickly, I'll keep trying.

... What is the polygon count you would like for units?

I have a good enough computer to play Crysis on High (not perfect tho) so a high poly unit for Civ is not a problem for me, but it is for others... I'm sure that among us all The_Coyote can give you the best advice.

@ PsiCorps
Yes it is time to start thinking on the traits and other things. But in the mean time there are several more races/leaders to add, I'm on it, but as with the Dilgar, the Civ Buttons and Flags for the rest (except the League of Non Aligned Worlds) are unknown to me.

Advice on the PDS and the Starfury is indeed needed, I was thinking on alternate/"work around" solutions:
- like assuming a single starfury represents a whole squad, or
- making the starfuries movement equal to six, so we could (theoretically) attack six times with a single squad (one time for each fury), of course the damage would have to be 1/6th of the originally intended strenght of a fighter squad, and the use of this solution will make the use of the squads too boring (too much micro) to use them.

What is the polygon count you would like for units?

Firaxis has around 1000 (up to 1500) for single model units like the destroyers and around 500 for the fighters (3 model unit, so the in game model has around 1500).

I think for a unique unit (limited in number in game, e.g. national limit would be one, there can be up to 2000 or 3000), for the other units i would try to stay around 1000 - 1500 and for the fighters 500 - 700, the texture should be 256 or lower (i use 256 most the time) sized for standard unit.

Premier Valle said:
Advice on the PDS and the Starfury is indeed needed, I was thinking on alternate/"work around" solutions:
- like assuming a single starfury represents a whole squad, or
- making the starfuries movement equal to six, so we could (theoretically) attack six times with a single squad (one time for each fury), of course the damage would have to be 1/6th of the originally intended strenght of a fighter squad, and the use of this solution will make the use of the squads too boring (too much micro) to use them.

at the moment i would use the single fighter as squad (like in standard BtS, but perhaps i have the time to make a more reduced version of the Starfury later [no promise] - now i know the limits for FF).

Ciao
The_Coyote

...at the moment i would use the single fighter as squad (like in standard BtS, but perhaps i have the time to make a more reduced version of the Starfury later [no promise] - now i know the limits for FF).

I agree, what says everyone else?

Just a quicky, this link has a number of B5 ship models that we may be able to use(with permission of course)
http://homepage.eircom.net/~bcelestia/

:eek: that's a Huge collection of B5 models, the only thing would be to convert them from 3ds to nif format, and of course the permission to use them... may I assume that such permission has already been requested? :mischief:
Of the ships that didn't appear at the series I liked very much the EAS Narcissus.

Good find PsiCorps :goodjob:

Hello every one!, straight to the news, thanks to The_Coyote we now have the Narn Drazi Fighter, and of course it has already been modded: v0.1.6b

My secondary server is messed up, and I still can't access this forums upload system, so this time its an attachment, however something funny happened while uploading it, hopefully it will work.

New stuff:
Spoiler :

- Aurora Starfury Button added.
- New unit: Narn Frazi Fighter
- New unit: Narn Frazi Squadron

Both frazi units have the same stats, however this time the squad works like the FF one (because there are three models within the model this time, and of course the poly count is three times the fighter one).
I added both for you all to decide wich line should we use:
- The squad approach: High poly, low performance
- The fighter approach: Low poly, high performance

BTW: I double posted 'cause the attachment option isn't available on "edit" mode

Clicking the link you just posted generates an "Invalid Attachment" message. Also, I'd suggest using post #1 for DL versions/updates and linking to DL Database DL page(s).

EDIT: BTW, you can add attachments with the "Go Advanced" button in edit mode.;)

OK, I hope this time it works (everything seemed fine this time): View attachment 173778

Oh another question -- are quadrilaterals allowed or must all polygons be triangles?

As far as I know triangles are the standard.

BTW, you can add attachments with the "Go Advanced" button in edit mode.;)

Oooooh!, thanks! :p

EDIT: I have taken screenshots for the Turhan and Carthagia Leaderheads... but about the Narn... who shall we use as the other leaders?

Oh another question -- are quadrilaterals allowed or must all polygons be triangles?

see the pic below, that how the model of the Frazi looked before i exported it from blender, hope it will help you

Attachments

• Frazi_model.jpg
    Frazi_model.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 209
DLed.:) Now... where's the rest of it? :confused:(The post #149 version gives a "Pagina no encentrada" message...):(

Huh? post 149 is... yours... :p

If you meant post 148 I redirected it to post 151 (the one with the download), other posts with previous versions (formerly stored in my secondary server) are the ones that should redirect you to the "pagina no encontrada" (page not found). But do not worry, the newest version is a standalone one, meaning that all the required files are inside. The fact that I named it "b" is just because I didn't deemed it to be such a big update (as it is a test version to decide on wich approach should we take on the fighter/squadron thing) as to increase the number version.

Hi all, i haven't posted much recently as i' have been trying to figure out a problem. The mod doesn't load at all. I'm busy at work at the moment so at the weekend, i'll delete (saving the good bits seperately) the mod file i have at present and rebuild it from scratch, Will post properly once i have had a chance to see what we have so far looks like.
PS. Councillor N'Far would be the only other Leader we can use for the Narn, although there is also another version of G'Kar we could use. Citizen G'Kar (after his enlightenment and torture by the Centauri). Just find a picture of G'Kar with the eye patch and we have a different enough image to use.

Hi guys!, a little more info on the CTDs would be nice, I tried it for about 45 turns and everything went well. If you try it again before the next release please check the "allow debugging tools" option (once the game has started press ESC and go to "game details"). It could help to determine if the CTDs are caused by the mod or if it is something else.

Will try again today to see what happens. (I was playing Custom Game with only B5 civs active.) BTW, I like the PDS addition with the zero movement.;)

Top Bottom