[BtS] Amra's Modpack v3 for Beyond the Sword

hey,
so i see you have maf ctd's, well this is very annoying,

amra, i would suggest you try to keep the mod thin, the bigger the mod the more problems youll have - slowness at late stages, along with maf's.

i fo rinstance in my mod , took out all non english text, did not any new unit buttons, and so on.

hope you get over this :)
Me too since I am now remembering at least one reason why I took about an 8 month break. I don't want to spend more time trying to track down CTD's than I do actually modding. :rolleyes:

Does the memory problem/crash happen again if you reload your last save game & continue? Can you attach a savegame, if so?

Thanks & sorry for my tardiness on replying to your PM.

I was playing a game on a Large Terra Map as Greece. I started getting MAF errors in the Medieval age. It's increasingly annoing. I play about 5 turns, then bam! I reload, play a few turns, save, then bam, then reload, play a few turns, then bam! It seams to happen every 3-6 turns now. It doesn't seem to be tied to any one specific event. I think it has to do with BUG with all of the messages occuring. With many civs, units, cities, and allot of conflict going on, etc...I can imagine that the game is having problems choking on the graphics, and the hundreds of messages trying to hit all at once. What's weird is that I can replay the save, save, and then reload and get a few turns in and keep the game going in this way, but it's very annoying.

I know you(Amra) have worked incredibly hard on this mod! :goodjob: I have tried and burned in huge flaming wrecks with much smaller projects myself. :(

My gut tells me it has to do with BUG, your thoughts?

I was playing a game on a Large Terra Map as Greece. I started getting MAF errors in the Medieval age. It's increasingly annoing. I play about 5 turns, then bam! I reload, play a few turns, save, then bam, then reload, play a few turns, then bam! It seams to happen every 3-6 turns now. It doesn't seem to be tied to any one specific event. I think it has to do with BUG with all of the messages occuring. With many civs, units, cities, and allot of conflict going on, etc...I can imagine that the game is having problems choking on the graphics, and the hundreds of messages trying to hit all at once. What's weird is that I can replay the save, save, and then reload and get a few turns in and keep the game going in this way, but it's very annoying.

I know you(Amra) have worked incredibly hard on this mod! :goodjob: I have tried and burned in huge flaming wrecks with much smaller projects myself. :(

My gut tells me it has to do with BUG, your thoughts?
Out of curiosity, were you getting any crashes before patch 301? I included the BUG mod update to version 2.21 in the patch and maybe I missed a file or something silly like that.

One way to test if it is the BUG mod would be to back up the "Python" folder in my modpack to another temp folder on your computer and then delete the same Python folder in the Mods\Amra v3 Basic\Assets folder. The only python changes in my Basic modpack are from the BUG Mod.

You can try loading a savegame but I'm not sure how removing the python files from my modpack will affect your savegames. If you decide to try this, please let me know what happens. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, were you getting any crashes before patch 301? I included the BUG mod update to version 2.21 in the patch and maybe I missed a file or something silly like that.

One way to test if it is the BUG mod would be to back up the "Python" folder in my modpack to another temp folder on your computer and then delete the same Python folder in the Mods\Amra v3 Basic\Assets folder. The only python changes in my Basic modpack are from the BUG Mod.

You can try loading a savegame but I'm not sure how removing the python files from my modpack will affect your savegames. If you decide to try this, please let me know what happens. Thanks.

I will try this and report back.

You can add stuff in increments to the advanced version of the mod Amra, one bit at a time. That way you can check for CTD one bit at a time. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a very good idea & one I will try my best to stick to. :goodjob:

When I get things settled down with the Basic modpack, I will ask for some kind people to help test the Full version Beta's that will increment a few items at a time.

hey,

i also secoonds sword of geddons suggestions,

you should add bits by bits,

and the best advise i can offer is this:

build your mod on the dales combat mod , as a base for your mod,

the main reaon: youll have the ability to use auto ai!
its the best way to know and test you mod to be stable, this is how i worked sinced it came out amra, i strongly reccomend it,
cause if you start making beta, and people test it for ya, your get your final version when civ 5 will come out....
think about it the auto ai can do a 1000 turns in 30 minutes or so.

autoai - the best for testing, dale incorporated a somple version of it, not like the one by blake .

also,
i would suggest to remove the terra map option from your mod, or at leat add a warning,
that if you dont have at least 3-4 gb of ram and a strong pc, dont use it.......= maf :)

its not hard to add dale, it will take you 5 minutes to add it.
ofcourse if you need help, im here.

Cool mod.And I wanted to download this mod since vanilla but my computer memory is almost full(the mod is slightly too big). And my video card isn't really that good , so civ4 is using the nonshaders.What a shame.

BTW , are you to add your Akbar? and while your at it , add Taizong as well

i would suggest to remove the terra map option from your mod, or at leat add a warning,
that if you dont have at least 3-4 gb of ram and a strong pc, dont use it.......= maf :)
QUOTE]

I believe that this is the cause of my problems. I only have 2Gb of Ram :( And my system choked on a large Terra map with 10 civs in the middle ages. However, I still think that the BUG mod's logging function of all of the messages is the cause, however, I love those messages now...and have become addicted :(

I am trying a standard terra map now, will report.

@ Amra: I was not using the new version 3.1 yet when I reported my maf issue. I have since upgraded, but I recently got a maf when I was in a game, opened the worldbuilder screen, modified the map, and then exited, saved, played for a while, then reloaded to the previous save. So, I think it may just be my own process now, and needing to clean out the memory stores associated with the game. So, I would recommend that, as when BTS originally came out, that when ever you go into the worldbuilder or when ever you want to reload or start a new game, that you must (at least with this mod) exit the game entirely and then reload the game.

Your thoughts?

I've started a game on a huge terra map for testing purposes. I've made it to the Renaissance era without problems so far. My config. WinXP SP2 - Intel D2 3.00GHz - 4GB RAM (XP sees only 3.5 GB) NVidia 8500 512MB.

@Amra

I'd love to beta test the full version whenever you see it is appropriate.

Hmmm...you have 4Gb and winxp...I only have 2 Gb and choke...vista...cough cough

Wonder if it's a memory issue or an OS issue...or both...hmmm

I know but I think testing with different configs can always help locate problems.

On the other side, you don't need to remove BUG altogether to test its effect. It has options for turning every single part of it on and off. I think it would be better to see if disabling specific components of BUG would delay MAFs or help performance.

@keldath
Thanks for the suggestions & you must be a mindreader. I added AIAutoPlay today (I'm holding off on DCM for now) and am running some tests tonight with it.

Good news for my Full version in that I was able to successfully build a new DLL (something I had not done in a long time) and did a brief 250 turns on a large map at normal speed to mostly test the AIAutoPlay component. The game went to about 1700 AD without any CTD before I stopped to write this. I'll do more testing later.

@Kao'chai
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to say that right now I don't have any plans to add more leaders. That may change at some point in the future, though, via optional modules.

@kwarriorpoet
I'm wondering if any MAF errors are linked to Vista and the amount of new leader & unit art. I mention Vista because I don't have it and have not had any crashes yet. I'm going to run more test games tonight with AIAutoPlay (and BUG Mod 2.22 which was posted after my patch) so we'll see if that continues.

For the record, my computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB PC2 6400 RAM, X1950 Pro 256MB Video, WinXP Pro

@Kalimakhus
Thanks for the offer of testing (I think you've already started ;) ). I'll put you at the top of the list for when the Full version gets to that point.

@kwarriorpoet
This is a follow up on my testing I was doing tonight. I managed to get the MAF error on my WinXP machine (circa 1994 AD) so I don't think it is something that just Vista is having problems with. I'll go over the log files tomorrow to see what I can find & run some more test games. :crazyeye:

Amra in increments(slowly): Here are my suggestions I'd like to see in the advanced version of your mod:

A unit that comes between the Horse Archer and the Knight on the upgrade path

The Modern Expansion to VD
A bigger future age than just next war, take a look at Chiyu's newest version of his extra mod for an example, its great.

To stick to the one small bit at a time suggestion, I'd add one tech at a time, with its requirement, and one unit at a time, with its required techs and upgrade paths, until you have the whole package of the VD modern expansion or the big future age.

Are you taking suggestions Amra?

Just in case you are, may I suggest you include an ancient age horse unit that isn't the horse archer? I really can't understand why Firaxis didn't have one to begin with.

Are you taking suggestions Amra?

Just in case you are, may I suggest you include an ancient age horse unit that isn't the horse archer? I really can't understand why Firaxis didn't have one to begin with.

To me, the closest thing to what you suggest is the Carthaginian UU, a form of ancient light cavalry.

well yeah. Carthage wasn't the only civ in the history of the world to have ancient cavalry.

The whole horse archer thing makes absolutely no sense to me. The only time i can think of where the horse archer was a prevalent, important part of an army (with my limited knowledge of history) is when the mongol Hordes charged down into europe. In the middle ages. An ancient cavalry is much more important and widespread, from what i know.

This probly isn't the best place to have this discussion. sorry Amra :)

Top Bottom