original civ2 scenario disk on windows 10

countmc

Chieftain
Does anyone know how to run the original Civ 2 scenario disk on windows 10? I have tried and never got it to work. I am talking about the original scenario disk that had ww79, age of discovery, ww2 in pacific...etc. on it.

Thanks

It doesn't. Civ2 MGE is the lowest supported (and I haven't yet tried it specifically on Windows 10, but it worked on Windows 8.1). Vanilla, CiC, and FW haven't even worked since Windows 7.

You might try installing it but playing it without the disc. I know CiC can play without out the disc and I have used that to solve problems when playing on vista through win 8 on certain machines. I was wondering if there was a compatibility mode with 10 that might let you do it without the disc or you might try an installing a pc emulator and loading windows 3.x into that then running CiC.

It doesn't. Civ2 MGE is the lowest supported (and I haven't yet tried it specifically on Windows 10, but it worked on Windows 8.1). Vanilla, CiC, and FW haven't even worked since Windows 7.
That's not true. The most important factor in determining whether or not one of the earlier versions of Civ2 will run on Windows is the type of architecture: 32-bit or 64-bit. Classic Civ2, Conflicts in Civilization (CiC), and Fantastic Worlds (FW) are 16-bit games and will not run on 64-bit systems. Multiplayer Gold Edition (MGE) and Test of Time (ToT) are 32-bit and can run on 64-bit systems (with the help of a 3rd-party edit control patch, eg, here and here). I had classic + FW running quite happily on a Win7 32-bit machine. If you had a 32-bit version of Win10 (yes, they do exist, mostly as 32-bit upgrades, from the sound of things), I suspect it would do the same. For 64-bit Windows and the 16-bit versions of Civ2, the solution is either virtualisation or conversion to one of the 32-bit versions; see here.

Top Bottom