Civ2-MGE WinX - SP works fine but MP does not!

kylekoch012186

Chieftain
Greetings fanatics!

Pre-Post: I have searched, searched and searched some more and have not been able to find an answer to this, possibly, unique issue. If there is a similar post I apologize ahead of time and ask that you please point me in the right direction. With that said...

My father and I have been playing Civ2 since it its release. We were both overjoyed when Civ2-MGE became a thing. From windows 98 through windows 7 we gamed on and off. Never did we have a problem connecting to each others games.

Now with windows 10 its different. When starting the game everything works as usual. Single player works great. But when we try to play MP it goes downhill. Once the game is created, to the point of waiting for players to join, my father will then click join multiplayer. He can see my game but when he clicks to join, it just hangs on "We are waiting for game machine to connect". Here is what we have tried so far: *note: settings were tried on all machines*

Windows firewall exception: is there but still no go
Windows firewall disabled: cant connect
Checked router for port forwarding: cant connect
Tried disabling IPv6 to force IPv4: no go
Tried LAN vs INTERNET: no go on either one
Tried Win7-to-WinX & WinX-to-WinX: no go on either

All computers are running the same version of the game with the no-cd patch, x64 patch and AI patch. I am at a loss as to what is blocking us from being able to play. When it was windows 7 we did not have these problems even with windows updates up-to-date. We also tried using compatibility mode with no luck.

:cry:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kyle

Any luck? Trying to do the same with my friend and only get "connection to machine" error.

For multiplayer can play with Hamachi,a soft making networks.I played successfully with this and recently in a network for games like GameSpy and GameRanger,Evolve.GameRanger have a problem with Civ2.exe,is accepted just a version.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is terrible. This was the final straw. I went back to Windows 7 and have been happily playing Civ 2 ever since.

Top Bottom