Bug reports and technical issues

Leoreth

Blue Period
I'm continuing on my efforts to abuse you as beta testers :D

This thread is to report bugs, crashes or simply things that don't seem to work as they're supposed to. I'm incredibly thankful for every bug report I get here, because that's the only way to effectively test everything, since I don't have the time to play out every addition I make :)

As it's in our mutual interest to get every problem located and fixed quickly, please follow the subsequent guidelines:

1. Check if the error was reported already. At least read the previous page to see if someone else already had your problem.
  2. Please note which version of the modmod you're using, and the revision in case of the SVN version. I'll assume it's the latest packaged release (v1.11 as of now) unless noted otherwise.
  3. Enable Python exceptions and logging. The former shows an error message ingame whenever something's wrong with Python (and that's the reason for 95% of the errors), the latter stores these into a separate file. Both are disabled on default, to activate them, open your Beyond the Sword folder and open the _Civ4Config link. Then search for "HidePythonExceptions" and "LoggingEnabled" and set them to 0 and 1, respectively, i.e.:
    Code:
    ; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
    HidePythonExceptions = 0
    [...]
    ; Enable the logging system
    LoggingEnabled = 1
  4. Make screenshots, often it's much easier to understand what you mean this way.
  5. Keep savegames and logs ready. I need to locate the error and have an easy method to verify if the fix works; that's what those are for. You find your logs under "My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\", and I'm usually referring to PythonDbg.txt when I'm asking for one. Please keep in mind that logs get overridden once you start a new game, so better make a copy of it. Saves are usually the best way for me to reproduce errors, because engineering a proper situation for myself is hard and time consuming. They may not be necessary, but it's good if you have them. Savegames from before the problem occurs are more useful than those from afterwards (I want to reproduce the error and see if my fixes remove it), so it's for the best if you keep a previous autosave on hand.

Common problems:

I have downloaded the mod, but when I start it, the menu screen is empty.
It's likely that this is because you're playing BtS with a language other than English. This mod is only in English, and for some reason this affects the main menu for all other languages. Switching your language to English should take care of this problem and is highly advisable anyway, because most of it isn't translated.

I have installed the SVN version, but the scenarios do not show up / when starting the scenarios it appears as if there are no changes compared to the latest download.
Make sure you have renamed the mod folder "RFC Dawn of Civilization" after downloading. Otherwise the scenarios won't find the mod they belong to.

So it appears I found another problem.

I have a completed tech tree. That in itself is not the problem.

The problem is, I cannot build every unit afforded to me in the Future Era.

The advanced units I can still build are Mech. Infantry, Mobile Artillery & Missile Cruisers.
But I'm barred from Main Battle Tanks, Stealth Bombers & Jet Fighters.
(Something that was incredibly crippling to me in the Third World War against the USSR & France)

I suspect this is because the prerequisite techs for those units were gotten through the Internet. (I got Stealth & Composites through it)

Also, is the Internet supposed to provide me with more techs after the time of its construction?
Because after the fact, I kept getting free techs from it afterwards.

Guessing this has to do with the reworked constants. But that's without looking at the code.

Tomorrow's Dawn, are you sure you have Aluminum?
And the internet gives you tech anytime 2 other civs have it not just the turn it's built.

I most definitely have Aluminum.

Now, during my war with the USSR, I was lobbing tactical nukes into western Russia from Germany & Scandanavia and at some point, they bombed my Uranium improvement and I lost access to nukes for a time. I hooked it back up and was obviously able to build nukes again. However, I have not been able to build Stealth Bombers and Main Battle Tanks at all, even with Aluminum and the required tech.

Also. Never change Turkey, Leoreth. This is an ideal Turkey.

I don't see a railroad to that tile...

Post a screenie from inside the city

*Relieved sigh*

The internet is meant to give you techs after its construction, by the way.

Playing a game as Babylon, I notice that Adur Farnbag is not buildable by a Great Prophet, nor by any other means. Is this an oversight, or intentional?

Getting a python error;
File 'riseandfall' line 1152, in checkplayerturn
IndexError: tuple index out of range

Also just to confirm, the American dynamic names aren't working when playing as another civ aswell
Mughal embassy txt missing
Chinese city on south Taiwan was called Tianjin

I played a game until around 2010 and I didn't notice any civs re-emerging after they collapsed, might be just a once off though

Playing a game as Babylon, I notice that Adur Farnbag is not buildable by a Great Prophet, nor by any other means. Is this an oversight, or intentional?
The former, thanks for noting.

Getting a python error;
File 'riseandfall' line 1152, in checkplayerturn
IndexError: tuple index out of range

Also just to confirm, the American dynamic names aren't working when playing as another civ aswell
Mughal embassy txt missing
Chinese city on south Taiwan was called Tianjin

I played a game until around 2010 and I didn't notice any civs re-emerging after they collapsed, might be just a once off though
Thanks, I'll take care of that.

I've found and eliminated the bug that caused the missing calendar display and the misplaced religions, the fix in in the latest SVN revision.

All issues in the previous posts fixed, commit pending. The resurrection thing is excepted, I'm waiting for a confirm on this.

As the Ottomans the black sea part of the UHV didn't check even though I controlled the whole sea and land tiles three around it

In the display or for the actual victory check? Also, do you have a screenshot?

What do you mean by controlled? I believe you have to have a certain number of cities.

Which should be changed, IMO. It should check that every plot or a great majority of plots surrounding the sea is your or something like that.

I'm still testing on a few SVN versions back, but here's some things I found as India:

The Italians are here.

And...they're dead again.

Here's the autopsy shot.

The Italian rebirth doesn't really work right.

There wasn't a city previously on that spot unless that mechanic is intentional.
But I noticed the Persian spawn is still linked to the Dutch spawn and if I happen to survive this,
I think they'll just end up collapsing again (Which is good for me).

Also, China ended up building three Silk Road cities in Xinjiang.
I was able to outpace them in technology but India's third UHV goal is a little difficult given the time frame you've set.
I suggest maybe moving it back to 1500 or 1600? This ties in with what I'm going to say next too.

I recall reading somewhere back in one of these other threads that the Mongols were taking too long to conquer China.
The China (Jin/Song/Xi Xia) theater was the Mongols' most difficult campaign to wage by far, compared to everything else.
It took two generations to do it and was by no means, quick.

The way I see it (for the AI), the Mongol invasions should stimulate/accelerate Chinese collapse,
then pick off parts/all of it as it falls into a collection of Independents.
That way, it helps India too (or at least human India), so that it may be a little bit easier to achieve the third UHV goal with China out of the picture.

Top Bottom