We´re not all barbarians

astre: I'm wondering (retrospectively) if it might have been better toresearch alphabet after HbR until we could trade for it.

I'm also wondering generally if we should simply start again, we're not doing too badly but I've done a couple of restarts and by going for Oracle I've got to 5 cities, CoL and currency by 750bc which ain't too shabby.

We needed the basic stuff, we needed to trade HBR (I keep thinking that going for HBR that early was not a good idea)
Wait to research alphabet before trading HBR was a nonsense, we lost a lot of time already. I propose we keep going ahead and reback with something else like mathematics and currency.

My shadow game with oracle went to the same conclusion as yours, we could have done better.

But, anyway, we are in a game of civilisation. we may went wrong, but in the end, we will succed.
I propose we keep this suboptimal start and lead it to victory anyway. The greater the challenge, the bigger the reward ^^

I need no reason to restart

rolo is UP to help transform a suboptimal start into a crushing victory.

Go rolo go!

Can anyone give me a link to the map? I'd like to test it out in some games...

Sorry for the intrusion, but reading your threads I can't help but notice that this sounds a lot like a Diplogame. I am currently hosting a Diplogame over at Apolyton Forums, and I have 2 spots available (former players having technical difficulties it seems.)

Please check out the Domination of Barbarians link, and PM me for additional details if interested.

We are playing on a Huge Earth Map with 18 Players

The game is on the very first turn, so you would be starting with a brand new Civ from the very start.

"Domination of Barbarians" - Diplogame

Followed the link, read the rules :crazyeye: and think its all too complicated for a simple person like me.

Ok, just played up to Maths ... nothing exciting happened besides denying IW to a couple of AI demands and a boatload of AI wanting to sell Masonry.

BTW we need some spawnbusters ... this is getting to be quite a barb shower :p

Anyway, I can make a detailed report, but it was really uneventful :/

·Imhotep·;11379152 said:
Can anyone give me a link to the map? I'd like to test it out in some games...

Hello? :D

Ok ,mr "Aparently I have never used scenarios in Civ IV " aka Immy :devil: :

Open your BtS

Single Player->Play a scenario

Find "Earth18Civs (Civ4)"

Profit!!!

:D

P.S If you actually want the map file, my magic powers delivered it in (...)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps\Earth1000AD.Civ4WorldBuilderSave in your computer :D

Looking ok, in fact really quite good.

There's probably too much of siberia to fogbust meaningfully but at least we'll get some experienced keshiks.

No-one seems to have gone for aesthetics, might be worth considering particularly if we sell techs and up the slider.

Might also be worth expanding a bit.

Imhotep UP (?).

I see it, I'll play and post tomorrow at latest.

Sorry for the delay. Quite uneventful set, apart from some AI getting iffy and wars brewing on the horizon ;) .

First Izzy came by with a request. I checked, and all the AI know BW. She's quite backwards, and her cute resemblance and her humble apperance made my non-barbarian heart soft. So I gave her BW. All we gained is a stupid +1 though. She was close to learning it I guess.

Then Cathy and Fred stopped by, telling us that they're not pleased with our OB agreements with some nations. Told 'em where to stuff it.

The barbs settled to our north west. The city was badly placed though, so auto-razing was fine.

Seems Izzy told Asoka that groveling in the dust can net a tech with us. Not this time.

Cathy gets quite annoying - and is annoyed now. Luckily she's far away from us, but we know that the AI will march through half the world to start a war. We may want to bolster our defenses.

Generally the barbs serve as free XP fot our units, a Settler is on the way to the site north west (iron+sheep, will be a great prod site) and we have a GS.

Have fun.

Imhotep

Spoiler the log :

Logging by BUG Mod 4.5 [Build 2245] (BtS 3.13-3.19)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 95/500 (500 BC) [09-Apr-2012 12:57:03]
50% Research: 29 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
50% Gold: -5 per turn, 110 in the bank

After End Turn:
Karakorum finishes: Keshik

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Frederick (Germany) towards Elizabeth (England), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Isabella (Spain) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 96/500 (475 BC) [09-Apr-2012 12:57:05]
Player contact made: Isabella of Spain
Diplomacy (Help Request): Isabella (Spain) asks Genghis Khan (Mongolia) for ; Genghis Khan AGREES.
Tech traded to Isabella (Spain): Bronze Working
Karakorum begins: Keshik (4 turns)
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Ning-hsia, Chariot (3.08/4) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 95.7%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Karakorum, Keshik 2 (Karakorum) (3.48/6) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.3%)
50% Gold: -6 per turn, 105 in the bank

After End Turn:
Ning-hsia finishes: Worker

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Frederick (Germany) towards Elizabeth (England), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Isabella (Spain) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Civics Change: Louis XIV(France) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'
Civics Change: Isabella(Spain) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 97/500 (450 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:01:27]
Tech traded to Asoka (India): Priesthood
Tech traded to Hatshepsut (Egypt): Iron Working
Tech traded to Asoka (India): Mathematics
Tech traded to Qin Shi Huang (China): Calendar
Diplomacy (Embargo Request): Catherine (Russia) asks Genghis Khan (Mongolia) to stop trading with Mansa Musa (Mali); Genghis Khan REFUSES.
Diplomacy (Embargo Request): Frederick (Germany) asks Genghis Khan (Mongolia) to stop trading with Alexander (Greece); Genghis Khan REFUSES.
A Mine was built near Old Sarai
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Karakorum, Chariot (4.00/4) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
50% Gold: -6 per turn, 99 in the bank

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Masonry

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Tokugawa (Japan) towards Catherine (Russia), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Saladin (Arabia) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 98/500 (425 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:03:18]
Tech traded to Cyrus (Persia): Calendar
Research begun: Monarchy (15 Turns)
Research begun: Aesthetics (15 Turns)
Chariot promoted: Combat II
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Ning-hsia, Chariot (1.28/4) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 96.3%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Tartar, Keshik (4.32/6) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.5%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Karakorum, Chariot (2.32/4) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.1%)
Karakorum begins: Settler (5 turns)
50% Gold: -6 per turn, 93 in the bank

After End Turn:
Karakorum finishes: Keshik
Turfan finishes: Worker

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Tokugawa (Japan) towards Mansa Musa (Mali), from 'Annoyed' to 'Furious'
Attitude Change: Elizabeth (England) towards Isabella (Spain), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa (Mali) towards Elizabeth (England), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Civics Change: Catherine(Russia) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 99/500 (400 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:05:45]
Tech traded to Isabella (Spain): Sailing
Tech traded to Hatshepsut (Egypt): Monotheism
Tech traded to Qin Shi Huang (China): Meditation
Tech traded to Elizabeth (England): Meditation
Tech traded to Alexander (Greece): Priesthood
Turfan begins: Work Boat (10 turns)
50% Gold: -8 per turn, 87 in the bank

After End Turn:
Turfan grows to size 6

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Frederick (Germany) towards Elizabeth (England), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Isabella (Spain) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 100/500 (375 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:06:48]
Tech traded to Asoka (India): Monotheism
Tech traded to Hatshepsut (Egypt): Mathematics
A Camp was built near Old Sarai
0% Research: 10 per turn
100% Gold: 11 per turn, 79 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Asoka (India) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Asoka (India) towards Louis XIV (France), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang (China) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
Civics Change: Hatshepsut(Egypt) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'
Civics Change: Asoka(India) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'
Civics Change: Elizabeth(England) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 101/500 (350 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:07:28]
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Karakorum, Keshik 2 (Karakorum) (0.96/6) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.3%)
Keshik 2 (Karakorum) (Keshik) promoted: Combat II
Keshik 2 (Karakorum) (Keshik) promoted: Combat III
While attacking in Barbarian territory at Tartar, Keshik (3.48/6) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.5%)
Captured Tartar (Barbarian)
Razed Tartar
Tartar lost
Keshik promoted: Combat I
Keshik promoted: Combat II
100% Gold: 11 per turn, 97 in the bank

After End Turn:
Ning-hsia grows to size 2
Old Sarai finishes: Granary

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang (China) towards Julius Caesar (Rome), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang (China) towards Elizabeth (England), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Qin Shi Huang (China), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Furious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 102/500 (325 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:09:10]
Diplomacy: Isabella (Spain) offers to trade Monotheism to Genghis Khan (Mongolia) for Alphabet
Diplomacy: Genghis Khan (Mongolia) rejects trade of Alphabet to Isabella (Spain) for Monotheism
Diplomacy (Embargo Request): Alexander (Greece) asks Genghis Khan (Mongolia) to stop trading with Julius Caesar (Rome); Genghis Khan REFUSES.
Old Sarai begins: Courthouse (24 turns)
A Camp was built near Ning-hsia
100% Gold: 11 per turn, 108 in the bank

After End Turn:
Karakorum finishes: Settler
Nabu-rimanni (Great Scientist) born in Beshbalik

Other Player Actions:
While defending in Mongolian territory near Ning-hsia, Archer 3 (Turfan) (1.83/3) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.7%)
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Annoyed' to 'Furious'
Attitude Change: Julius Caesar (Rome) towards Saladin (Arabia), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Saladin (Arabia) towards Julius Caesar (Rome), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
Attitude Change: Isabella (Spain) towards Saladin (Arabia), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 103/500 (300 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:10:38]
Tech traded to Tokugawa (Japan): Writing
Diplomacy (Tribute Demand): Asoka (India) demands that Genghis Khan (Mongolia) gives ; Genghis Khan REFUSES.
Karakorum begins: Worker (4 turns)
100% Gold: 9 per turn, 119 in the bank

After End Turn:
Turfan grows to size 7
Ning-hsia finishes: Barracks

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Alexander (Greece) towards Saladin (Arabia), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Frederick (Germany) towards Elizabeth (England), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Louis XIV (France) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Saladin (Arabia) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Isabella (Spain) towards Frederick (Germany), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Catherine (Russia) towards Isabella (Spain), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Mansa Musa (Mali) towards Julius Caesar (Rome), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 104/500 (275 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:11:54]
Tech traded to Alexander (Greece): Alphabet
Tech traded to Julius Caesar (Rome): Alphabet
Tech traded to Frederick (Germany): Alphabet
Diplomacy (Tribute Demand): Catherine (Russia) demands that Genghis Khan (Mongolia) gives ; Genghis Khan REFUSES.
A Farm was built near Beshbalik
A Cottage was built near Beshbalik
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Karakorum, Keshik 2 (Karakorum) (3.66/6) defeats Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.7%)
100% Gold: 7 per turn, 128 in the bank

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Alexander (Greece) towards Asoka (India), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Alexander (Greece) towards Saladin (Arabia), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Saladin (Arabia) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Catherine (Russia) towards Genghis Khan (Mongolia), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Civics Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 105/500 (250 BC) [09-Apr-2012 13:13:05]
Tech traded to Qin Shi Huang (China): Alphabet

Battle Stats:
Units victorious while attacking: 9
Units victorious while defending: 1
Units withdrawing while attacking: 0
Units defeated while attacking: 0
Units defeated while defending: 0
Units escaping while attacking: 0

Attachments

• Genghis_Khan_BC-0250.CivBeyondSwordSave
    372.5 KB · Views: 124
We're looking ok for the moment, we need to expand further and try to grab at least some of central siberia.

We don't really need courthouses atm, units and granaries are slightly more important for now. Use GS to bulb philosophy coz we're civilised.

Roster

pigswill- UP

nocho on deck

LKendter

cripp7

astre

r_rolo1

Imhotep just played.

Any other comments, observations, whimisical non-sequiturs etc?

From what I remember looking the other day, we badly need happies. So despite being rather foodless, maybe we should settle that furry gold site rather soon.

That's certainly an option. There's also a gold/gems/deer site up north. I'm thinking that we could simply wait for someone to research HR and pick it up in trade (its one of the automatic trades iirc) or even research it ourselves while aiming to grab the nicer sites first.

happiness should not be a problem anymore because we have calendar.
anyway, fur, gold and gems are always nice to add.

GS for philosophy is quite obvious.
We might also switch to pacificm asap (did not check the save yet to see if we should change)

for research line: we could go aestetic/litterature/music just because we are not barbarians :p
and great library is not slop either, as the free artist (for our first golden age?)

the other possibilities is to aim for banking or direct line to liberalism (civil service/paper...). all options are possible.

If we have kind of an army (3 keshik are enought), we could consider civilising barbarian cities of siberia and set a frontier at oural (the mountain line in the middle of asia).

Top Bottom