I hate you RNG!

You know, I once started a game as Japan on a 10-hex island of SNOW without sea resources, and I was actually upset when my game crashed and I lost that start. Would of been a great isolation challenge for that huge Pangea map :(

Yes please don't forget the Huns. The map program's indifference toward tile-bonus flavor irks me so hard with the Huns. If I'm not even going to get a single extra hammer in the capital then seeya. Same as Poland for me - I want the extra dots in order to truly feel I am playing as the civ I selected. Otherwise why not roll as France and just not have a worker the entire game?? I need my dots.

Towards your original question - do you actually have the 'new random seed' option checked (in advanced)? I don't know if that makes a difference.

I rarely do restarts because I like playing on over-populated maps (i.e. more civs than the default), and there seems to be a bug where a restart doesn't keep that setting (i.e. if I've added two extra civs, they disappear with the restart)

You know, I once started a game as Japan on a 10-hex island of SNOW without sea resources, and I was actually upset when my game crashed and I lost that start. Would of been a great isolation challenge for that huge Pangea map :(

The game creates an autosave when the game starts. Also, you started on an island on a Pangaea game? I've never seen that happen, that's rare.

I never had a full tundra start. When I see tundra, I know where I am on map (North or South), and know there's decent room 3 to 4 hexs further.
In jungle, I know game will be very, very low.

I'm random/random player too (Huns on Island, Polynesia on Pangea, Arabia with no horses, many of this stuffs). It's how, I learn.Really restart only with full jungle.

I keep restarting till i like my location, sometimes it takes like half an hour, sometimes only one restart. My logic is if im gonna spend next 6-7 hours playing this i might as well have a start i like. I like to do something, like read a book, and keep restarting the game and saving starts that i like so i can play them later.

I agree with you Dgodus.

Your idea is good (a map option for civ-bias starts). Though I think there are also some other ways to accomplish much the same thing. For example, an option that allows you to adjust the frequency of each resource independently. e.g., for Poland, you could increase the freq. of horses across the whole map. It'd give all the AIs/other players more horses too, but that's fair.

Also, I did see a "preview" mod in the steam workshop. Doesn't fix anything, but might allow much easier determination before rerolling a map.

I didn't see it discussed, but opting legendary resources can make any start pretty much viable. Every leader garners a relatively similar degree of resource boon, so it more "raises the bar" than eliciting the spectre of impropriety from "reloads".

The game creates an autosave when the game starts. Also, you started on an island on a Pangaea game? I've never seen that happen, that's rare.

Oh, I thought the first autosave was on turn 10 (default).

Yeah, it was weird. Huge map, abundant resources, high sea level, and all other defaults. My island was against the South Pole, 3 hills, one very small river, no sea resources, and all snow. The strange part was that I couldn't even see coastal tiles from the main continent.

Dgodus you may want to give this mod a try

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126959669&searchtext=

It is very flexible and you can use as much or little as you want. The one thing it won't do is allow you to specify NW placement close by but you can specify certain resources in your start.

I do have that mod, as well as the in game editor (which allows NW placement).

Using them does however feel a little bit like cheating to me (and if I leave the editor enable I do tend to, uh, abuse it). I was also under the impression if you use mods your score won't be saved in your records (which is too bad as I'd always like to have at least info addict, circumnavigate the globe movement bonus, copper affected by mint, and stone works in the plains on)

I do kind of prefer the in game editor over really advanced start up as I can remove resources as I add them for better balance (I believe RAS simply adds what you selected instead of replacing the other resources); but unfortunately IGE reveals the map, and as I mentioned it is way too easy to abuse.

I do kind of prefer the in game editor over really advanced start up as I can remove resources as I add them for better balance (I believe RAS simply adds what you selected instead of replacing the other resources); but unfortunately IGE reveals the map, and as I mentioned it is way too easy to abuse.

I use most of the same mods. I've been using the RAS lately specifically because IGE reveals the entire map. Sometimes RAS overloads resources and unbalances your start but you can still reroll if it looks too OP. Typically I'm just asking for a horse or sea resource so I can get some use out of a UU/UB/UA. Sometimes I've ended up with 2 sometimes none.

I don't really care about my score, so that part of it is not an issue for me. I play marathon or epic, I only get a couple hours each night so fun factor trumps everything else.

Top Bottom