Military leaders can't build an army?

allism

Chieftain
Would someone mind loading these two games on a system and tell me if the military leaders (there are two separate ones) are able to build armies? I have gotten two leaders, neither of which are able to build armies, but they can hurry production on a small wonder. I have moved them to other cities, with no luck.

With the way this game was going, those leaders sure would have come in handy as a couple of armies.

I am not sure if this is as a result of a bug or a result of using a no-CD exe - I have bought the game twice and lost both CDs somewhere in our boxes and boxes of stuff when we move, and as much as I like the game I am not buying it again.

This is C3C, 122.

Attachments

• Saves.zip
    297.5 KB · Views: 132
I'm too lazy to look at the save, but could it have anything to do with the 4 cities/army rule?

You need four cites per army. You only have five cites and already have one army.

OK, Thanks much for the info. Rather frustrating but it's what I get for getting into a major p!ssing match so early in the game...

Your problem is you only have 5 cities and already have 1 army with a leader ready to go. IIRC you can have only 1 for every 4 cities so you need 3 more cities.
Ok they beat me to it but still
BTW how did you get so many elite spears?

Are you looking for some thoughts on this game?

Whomp said:
BTW how did you get so many elite spears?

They've been beating up on me for a helluva long time - I don't remember the year but it was before I built the Great Library and the Statue of Zeus (I think Aztecs declared war on me two turns before I finished Statue of Zeus). I've been lucky in having them pretty well stacked, so they aren't hitting me with enough units to cycle through my spearmen to be able to use more than one unit against each spearman. I don't think that game is going to hold out much longer, though - I may play it to the end just to see how long I survive, but it's turned into declaring peace with someone, then a few turns later having them enter a military alliance with someone and declaring war against me again. None of them seem to want to declare peace with less than either a tech or a couple hundred in gold. Since they're just going to turn around and declare war on me again, I am reluctant to give em too much.

Whomp said:
Are you looking for some thoughts on this game?

You are welcome to give me any input you see fit, I pick up the game long enough to play for a while but not long enough to get to know all the nuances.

I've joked with one of my clients that if I go on a civ binge, don't expect me to get any work done for him for a few weeks - and I am taking off a month in November (I work from home, contracts only, so as long as I don't have any outstanding work I can have a really really long Lost Weekend whenever I get sucked back in).

I hear ya on civ binges. I play for the relaxation after talking all day so I can relate to getting lost in this game.

I would play smaller maps so you can get a quicker fix.
But here are some observations.
1. Some of the AI will make peace. You're at war with way too many. Start by getting out from under that dogpile and trade with them. Focus on the one who has what you want. IE resource or lux. Bring your military forward. Those coastal cities need one spear max if at all.
2. Get 3 more cities for obvious reasons. In fact get as many as you can. Your military can handle it and the Samurai is next and will send you into a Golden Age. But you need more more more cities and closer in. Easier to share worked tiles.
3. You have dyes and horses unconnected. You also have 2 iron sources and must've had one connected at some point for the swords. There are some poor cows that need some irrigating bad. This city could be a worker or settler farm. The reason all this is happening? You have 1 1/2 workers. Not even close to enough. Read rbird's summary.
4. Go into anarchy now! Get out of a despot always as soon as you can. If you plan to war all game go monarchy. I prefer to go into republic. I've never used feudalism but I've heard it works well with small empires.
Don't give up on this game it is winnable. You are right there techwise and a GA is on the way. Keep keepin' on. Settler/workers it's not too late.
\
rbird said:
Well, it's already pretty much all been said, but maybe you'd like to hear a fellow newbie's perspective. Start with chieftain to learn the basic rules of the game, figure out the interface and shortcut keys, etc. It is NOT a given that you'll always win at that level. At least I didn't when I first started (just a few months ago). But once you learn the rules, you should be able to roll over the AI easily at that level. The game is essentially cheating in your favor at that point.

Newbie Tips (things to practice):
1. Build more workers. You don't have enough. Seriously. Roads and terrain improvements are the key to the early game. Especially roads, since they give you money. Every tile a citizen is working should be improved (and roaded).

2. Your cities are probably too far apart. I haven't mastered city placement yet, but I have done much better trying to form a solid and coherent empire than by trying to grab the most land at the beginning. Of course, you have to go after resources and luxuries, but if you don't get them at first you can always capture them.

3. Don't obsess with the wonders. They're great if you can get them (most of them, anyway), but they're not necessary to win the game. Never short your military or infrastructure in order to build a wonder.

4. Learn to trade. I thought I had to always be ahead in tech in order to win. But the truth is, at the higher levels you just can't keep up with them in research, so you have to trade.

4. Practice combat. Pretty soon you'll learn what to do and what not to do. Send your forces against your opponents in large stacks, and always include a healthy amount of artillery (this can allow you to win a war even if you have obsolete units).

Once you learn the basics, then start following a few succession games here on the forums (where people take turns in playing a game, and discuss it here in the forum). You will learn A LOT from this. Until recently, I was just doing "okay" on Warlord difficulty. Just from reading succession games for a week, I decided I could move up to Regent, and I'm doing very well in that game.

Bob

All sounds good, except I've already burned through my golden age.

Playing's not relaxing for me, I actually had to quit playing while I was pregnant with my son because it was sending my blood pressure through the roof.

Yikes!! Smaller maps!! Less stress!!
I did run through a few turns.
I started by getting peace with the Celts and they gave their 16g and 3gpt.
Since you have the GLib (turned science to 0%) you could trade techs for peace with some AI and/or give them the gold they want and get it back the gold back with techs.
Since you're religious you're change to monarchy would only take 2 turns of anarchy. This govt. may be better than republic because of your size and warring. Once you grow more cities you could spend 2 turns going to republic. Established embassies with the Iroq. and Celts for intelligence and they became polite.
I added a Anc Cav to the army and used the other for rushing the Heroic epic. Later I got another leader but didn't have anything to do so I rushed a market which helps income and happiness in the capital.
My focus was on the Aztecs I sent the army out to their wine country (I always like a nice cab') and took the city. Sent the galley to explore and moved all the spears to the frontlines and put every city on workers. The land is undeveloped for food and has stopped growing. You can eventually trade yourself into favor with 4 incense, 1 dye, 2 wines, 2 iron and 2 horses. Lots of trades once these are hooked up. I didn't save but I can play a few turns to show you if you care.

It's fine, I followed what you were saying. I'm actually a little past the point where I was when I saved those games.

Thx for the tips :)

How are things going? You had quite a dogpile going.

You can build armies with leaders. First go into a city then on bottom will say build army or hurry production.

allism said:
Would someone mind loading these two games on a system and tell me if the military leaders (there are two separate ones) are able to build armies? I have gotten two leaders, neither of which are able to build armies, but they can hurry production on a small wonder. I have moved them to other cities, with no luck.

With the way this game was going, those leaders sure would have come in handy as a couple of armies.

I am not sure if this is as a result of a bug or a result of using a no-CD exe - I have bought the game twice and lost both CDs somewhere in our boxes and boxes of stuff when we move, and as much as I like the game I am not buying it again.

This is C3C, 122.

Top Bottom