Being Evil responsibly? Just got pwned by Stephanos as the Sheaim

Use ur spell at AC 100=gameover :)

I used it at 97 after dividing up my army to about 4 units per enemy city. I was able to finish the game by taking 8 cities at once. Fun game.

Well, I guess it's obvious I need to plan and prepare, but AC still can be used to my benefit.

I'm getting the message that as the Sheaim, my eventual goal should be a conquest victory, and I need to do the following:

1) Build Planar Gates in every city. I didn't do this.
2) Prepare to defend myself from the horsemen.
3) Use Sacrifice the Weak to weather the blight.
4) View the AC as fuel for my World Spell.
5) Hold off on pumping up the AC until I'm ready.
6) Focus on the Religion and War tech branches.

Anything else?

There's nothing wrong with Hell terrain, right? It spread to my land, but as far as I could tell each tile provided the same resources.

And at what point should I, as the Sheiam, research infernal pact? Since, that, in itself, ranks up the AC, which can severely weaken me if im not ready.

Well, I guess it's obvious I need to plan and prepare, but AC still can be used to my benefit.

I'm getting the message that as the Sheaim, my eventual goal should be a conquest victory, and I need to do the following:

1) Build Planar Gates in every city. I didn't do this.
2) Prepare to defend myself from the horsemen.
3) Use Sacrifice the Weak to weather the blight.
4) View the AC as fuel for my World Spell.
5) Hold off on pumping up the AC until I'm ready.
6) Focus on the Religion and War tech branches.

Anything else?

There's nothing wrong with Hell terrain, right? It spread to my land, but as far as I could tell each tile provided the same resources.

Planar Gates aren't that great. They're very costly for little return. You could build several troops for the cost of a Planar Gate.

AV is good due to Sacrifice the weak and Ritualists. I wouldn't focus on pumping the AC at all. The Sheiam have one unit, Pyre Zombies, a stack of 14 or so Pyre Zombies can kill everything. Think of every Pyre Zombie after 14 or so, killing a unit in the stack.

Rush for AV. Rush for Pyre Zombies, Rush for Ritualists, Rush for Military Strategy, Rush for Ironworking, Rush for Strength of Will

Planar Gates aren't that great. They're very costly for little return. You could build several troops for the cost of a Planar Gate.
Planar Gates provide a potentially unlimited stream of units for a single fixed cost. Your statement is like saying a deal to pay a large fee to receive free food for the rest of your life isn't that great because you could buy several meals for the same price.

How does one prevent his lands being infested and ruined by Burning Sands and fires, as the Sheiam?

The Water I spell Spring will change desert into plains. It can also be cast on Burning Sands, to turn them into Fields of Perdition, if your caster is able to enter the Burning Sands tile. If your caster cannot then you can use the Life I spell Sanctify to temporarily turn the surrounding tiles into non-hell versions. So standing next to Burning Sands you can Sanctify and turn it into a Desert, then move into the Desert and cast Spring to turn it into a Plains, which will then revert to a Fields of Perdition soon.

Spring can't be cast on Flood Plains tiles, but the change to hell terrain will remove the Flood Plains feature as the tile is converted to Burning Sands. After that you can use Spring or Sanctify/Spring to change the tile to Fields of Perdition.

Planar Gates provide a potentially unlimited stream of units for a single fixed cost. Your statement is like saying a deal to pay a large fee to receive free food for the rest of your life isn't that great because you could buy several meals for the same price.

And exactly how long are you playing a FFH game? A planar gate costs 300 hammers. A Pyre Zombie costs 60 Hammers. I can get 5 Pyre Zombies for the cost of a planar gate, and Pyre Zombies are often superior to what comes out of the Planar Gate. As soon as I build my 5 Pyre Zombies I can use them to go attack immediately. When I build a Planar Gate, I have to wait a certain number of turns before a unit pops out that may or may not be as good as a Pyre Zombie, and I only have one of it.

Yeah, I could make armies of units that came from Planar Gates and be willing to sacrifice them since I'll eventually get back the same # of units. But that is way too costly in terms of speed. There are better, cheaper buildings that give a good and longlasting return on investment rather than overpriced miniwonder Planar Gates.

The Water I spell Spring will change desert into plains. It can also be cast on Burning Sands, to turn them into Fields of Perdition, if your caster is able to enter the Burning Sands tile. If your caster cannot then you can use the Life I spell Sanctify to temporarily turn the surrounding tiles into non-hell versions. So standing next to Burning Sands you can Sanctify and turn it into a Desert, then move into the Desert and cast Spring to turn it into a Plains, which will then revert to a Fields of Perdition soon.

Spring can't be cast on Flood Plains tiles, but the change to hell terrain will remove the Flood Plains feature as the tile is converted to Burning Sands. After that you can use Spring or Sanctify/Spring to change the tile to Fields of Perdition.

Uhm, but as Sheiam, its a bit strange that one should have a problem with burning sands and fire... especially since they are supposed to benefit from high AC.

the idea of a high AC is that it damages (almost) everyone, but as the sheiam you get some benefits besides those general malusses.

How does one prevent his lands being infested and ruined by Burning Sands and fires, as the Sheiam?
Uhm, but as Sheiam, its a bit strange that one should have a problem with burning sands and fire... especially since they are supposed to benefit from high AC.
That statement makes me unsure of the purpose of your question. Are you asking how the Sheaim can deal with Burning Sands, or are you saying that the conversion of Deserts to Burning Sands should be an improvement for the Sheaim?

Re the planar gates, it seems that building them is good when the game will be a long, drawn-out affair, either because you want it to be so, or because circumstances demand it - the cost of free units will eventually compensate for the cost of the gates.

If you plan a relatively early rush, there's no need to build them.

remember, one of the sheiam leaders builds the gates twice as fast ;). as tebryn, i'd just go arcane and forget about em all together though

I can't tell whether you are joking. Os-Gabella doesn't build Planar Gates faster. They aren't actually wonders.

I can't tell whether you are joking. Os-Gabella doesn't build Planar Gates faster. They aren't actually wonders.

i could have sworn i've read that in another of the sheiam strat threads...:sad::confused:. If not, then she REALLY is the lesser sheiam leader

It was suggested that the trait be made to boost Planar Gate production when she was changed from Spiritual/Summoner to Industrious/Summer, but that never happened.

especially since they are supposed to benefit from high AC.

People keep saying this, but it doesn't match my understanding.

The Sheaim want to end the world, but that doesn't mean that they benefit from it.

My 4 year old wants candy for dinner. He really wants that candy. He's willing to go through all sorts of shennanigans to get that candy and he loudly proclaims that he's not hungry for any other food and he doesn't want dinner; he just wants candy.

That doesnt' mean that candy for dinner is good for him.

The Sheaim and the AC is the same way. They want to end the world.
Even though it's where they keep all their stuff.

Ah, but candy is good for the Sheaim. Higher AC means more free units per planar gate, and a higher gate spawn rate. It also empowers their worldspell to be more destructive. Oh, and a higher AC means hell terrain can spread to neutral and eventually good opponents' lands, erasing trees and reducing the total health available from resources. This doesn't directly help the Sheaim, but it levels the playing field which indirectly helps them by removing their opponents' advantage.

Ah, but candy is good for the Sheaim. Higher AC means more free units per planar gate, and a higher gate spawn rate. It also empowers their worldspell to be more destructive. Oh, and a higher AC means hell terrain can spread to neutral and eventually good opponents' lands, erasing trees and reducing the total health available from resources. This doesn't directly help the Sheaim, but it levels the playing field which indirectly helps them by removing their opponents' advantage.

I agree that it does come with benefits, as does candy. Candy's primary benefit is that it's tasty. AC's primary benefit is that it messes with your opponents and you're smart enough to dodge the worst effects while the AI gets hosed (at least that's the idea).

Still doesn't mean that a very high AC is good for the Sheaim. It just means that they get a couple of benefits from it. Seen as a zero sum game, the AC can be "good" for the Sheaim in that it's less bad for them than it is for many other civs, but Civ IV is not entirely a zero sum game - especially if you want your empire to thrive.

Again, I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm just saying that pushing the AC up as high as it will go is not healthy. Or sane. The Sheaim just don't really mind that. :)

Top Bottom