Tomatekh's New Civilizations

Really like the new map (and stolen it of course ;)!)

I didn't intend to remake it today, but I knew that I would just keep putting it off if I didn't (I'd rather work on new maps than go back to my old ones).

I was going to send you a link with just the new art files so you didn't have to re-download the whole mod. Since you probably already redownloaded, you should also look at the icon atlas. I made a much better version of the Djalla/Garamantian Warrior icon (that you use for the UU) that you should also take and then jpbar81's Ait Benhaddou icon is now being used for the UB until a more appropriate icon comes up.

Very minor art update for Mali. The only change was Sukritact's fantastic Mali map.

I have a more substantial update planned for the UA at some point in the future, just need to find the time to do it.

As always, don't update unless you're ready to start a new game and post any new bugs that might have shown up in the new versions.

Hey again.

I've tried using your files to gain a 3% increase in science for every city connected to the capital (currently it's +100 science for testing purposes), but I just don't exactly know which files to replace in the LUA or how the SQL works exactly. Any ideas on how to do this?

Here's my buildings XML:

<Buildings>
<Row>
<Type>BUILDING_GETH_EMBASSY</Type>
<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_GETH_EMBASSY</BuildingClass>
<Cost>-1</Cost>
<PrereqTech/>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_GETH_EMBASSY</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIVLOPEDIA_BUILDINGS_GETH_EMBASSY_TEXT</Civilopedia>
<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_GETH_EMBASSY_STRATEGY</Strategy>
<ArtDefineTag>COLESSEUM</ArtDefineTag>
<MinAreaSize>-1</MinAreaSize>
<HurryCostModifier>25</HurryCostModifier>
<IconAtlas>GETH_MOD_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
<NeverCapture>true</NeverCapture>
<NukeImmune>true</NukeImmune>
<PortraitIndex>2</PortraitIndex>
<IsVisible>False</IsVisible>
<PediaVisible>False</PediaVisible>
</Row>
</Buildings>
<Building_YieldChanges>
<Row>
<BuildingType>BUILDING_GETH_EMBASSY</BuildingType>
<YieldType>YIELD_SCIENCE</YieldType>
<Yield>100</Yield>
</Row>
</Building_YieldChanges>

And here's my LUA:

-- Earn Science from Trade Routes.

local bSCIENCE = GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_GETH_EMBASSY

GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(
function(iPlayer)
local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer];
if (pPlayer:IsAlive()) then
if (pPlayer:GetCivilizationType() == GameInfoTypes.CIVILIZATION_GETH) then
for pCity in pPlayer:Cities() do
if (pCity:GetNumBuilding(bSCIENCE) > 0) then
pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, 0);
end
if (not pCity:IsCapital() and pPlayer:IsCapitalConnectedToCity(pCity) and not pCity:IsBlockaded()) then
pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, 100);
end
end
end
end
end)

Hey again.

I've tried using your files to gain a 3% increase in science for every city connected to the capital (currently it's +100 science for testing purposes), but I just don't exactly know which files to replace in the LUA or how the SQL works exactly. Any ideas on how to do this?

Here's my buildings XML:

And here's my LUA:

If that lua is copied directly from my Hittite mod then it should work. You just need to load it with InGamUIAddin through the content tab in Modbuddy to get it to function. The one error is that "pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, 100);" should just be "pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, 1);" Otherwise you'd be adding the building 100 times to that city.

However, that code adds the building to the individual cities, not the capital. So if you eventually change it to a modifier it will be giving each city +3%, not adding +3% to the capital for each city. To add 3% per city to the capital you'd have do something like:

local count = 0;
if (not pCity:IsCapital() and pPlayer:IsCapitalConnectedToCity(pCity) and not pCity:IsBlockaded()) then
count = count + 1;

and then set "pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, count);" specifically in the capital.

Alternatively, just use <Building_GlobalYieldModifiers> and have each building give a global yield of +3%, then it wouldn't matter which city you give it to. Of course, +3% global yield is a lot more than just +3% in your capital, so whatever was your original intent. (Also, <Building_YieldChanges> gives raw yield not percent. You need <Building_YieldModifiers> to give a % to an individual city).

If you're trying to make the building invisible. Don't look how I did it in the Hittite mod as that's an older release that hasn't been updated in a while. Look instead in my Rus' or Sumer civ. The newer versions of my mods have a single folder named "Dummy Building Folder" that includes everything that's needed (4 files). The two lua files get added by VFS = True. The two SQL files get added through OnModActivated just like a normal XML file. Just make sure the SQL that alters the tables gets loaded before the building XML file and the one that alters the visibility gets loaded after the building XML file.

You'd also need to edit the visibility SQL file to load the building entry of your mod and not the ones from mine. Also, if you have this SQL file then you don't need the <IsVisible> and <PediaVisible> lines in your building xml, so just delete them.

Also, make sure to credit Thalassicus & trystero49 who wrote most of the code that makes dummy buildings invisible.

So in other words, add this to Buildings:

<Building_GlobalYieldModifiers>
<Row>
<BuildingType>BUILDING_GETH_EMBASSY</BuildingType>
<YieldType>YIELD_SCIENCE</YieldType>
<Yield>3</Yield>
</Row>
</Building_GlobalYieldModifiers>

Which will only take effect if they're connected to the capital with my current code? Then copy paste your Dummy Building Folder and change it so it refers to my building, and remove the <IsVisible> and <PediaVisible> lines?

So in other words, add this to Buildings:

Which will only take effect if they're connected to the capital with my current code? Then copy paste your Dummy Building Folder and change it so it refers to my building, and remove the <IsVisible> and <PediaVisible> lines?

Yes but make sure to follow what I wrote about how to load the files and in what order.

Also, again "pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, 100);" should just be "pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(bSCIENCE, 1);"

Fantastic I'm just going to try this now, will get back to you within this next 40 minutes.

Unfortunately all it seemed to do was cause severe lag, which is why it took me so long to get back to you, but not actually work.

I did what you said:

And I set all LUA files, including the 3rd one you never mentioned, to the VSF.

So uh, there's nothing I can say here apart from oops, and it appears you solved everything, again. Thank you for this, I never expected to be adding you to the special thanks again but looks like I will be. Luckily it appears most of the next civs we have planned should be easier to implement.

One more thing, if I add another unique building it wont be messed up by any of those tags will it?

So uh, there's nothing I can say here apart from oops, and it appears you solved everything, again. Thank you for this, I never expected to be adding you to the special thanks again but looks like I will be. Luckily it appears most of the next civs we have planned should be easier to implement.

One more thing, if I add another unique building it wont be messed up by any of those tags will it?

Don't place the dummy building as a unique building for the civ. It's just supposed to act behind the scenes and it's completely invisible to users anyway.

The files won't affect any other buildings provided you don't add those buildings to the Lua or SQL files.

Hey Tomatekh, the CivFanatics link to the Hittites isn't included in the text, can you take a look, please?

Okay, anyone who downloads my mods off civfanatics or just anyone that doesn't follow the comments on steam.

Within the past two weeks or so every single one of my civs (except the Timurids) has received an update. For many of the older ones this entails a major art overhaul. Many of the civs have also had their abilities overhauled to something more interesting and unique.

So, if you haven't updated any of my civs in a while, now would be a good time to download the newest version. All the civfanatics links have been updated. If you need me to tell you specifically what changes were made to a mod to update your own, let me know.

An update for the Timurids is also currently in the works. The new art is finished but I'm having more trouble than I thought getting the lua for their new trait to work.

An additional minor art update is planned for the Hittites and Benin (their UB and UU respectively) in the near future once their new icon art is finished.

After the Timurids update, I also plan to go back and re-examine Mali's UA.

Once all my civs are finished I then plan to update my religion mods.

Let me know any new bugs that might pop up in the new versions.

~~~

The Goths (v. 14, updated 14/2/2013)
Sumer (v. 15, updated 26/2/2013)
The Timurids
Kievan Rus' (v. 16, updated 21/2/2013)
Benin (v. 13, updated 27/2/2013)
The Garamantes (v. 14, updated 21/2/2013)
The Hittites (v. 14, updated 27/2/2013)
Mali (v. 4, updated 22/2/2013)

I don't really understand some of the civilisation choices. No offence to Tomatekh, these may be the most polished civs I've seen in some time. I understand Goths, Sumer, Garamantes and Hittites, and maybe Benin - good choices there. But the others? Kievan Rus' were the ancestors of Russia if I recall correctly, so why not simply play as Russia? The Timurids, well, I'm assuming you are referring to Tamerlane (sp.?) who was a Mongol. Mali, well, it's the same thing as the Songhai surely?

Kievan Rus' were the ancestors of Russia if I recall correctly, so why not simply play as Russia? The Timurids, well, I'm assuming you are referring to Tamerlane (sp.?) who was a Mongol. Mali, well, it's the same thing as the Songhai surely?

0 from 3 :p
Kievan Rus, Timurids, and Mali are all very distinct from the civs you mentioned

I don't really understand some of the civilisation choices. No offence to Tomatekh, these may be the most polished civs I've seen in some time. I understand Goths, Sumer, Garamantes and Hittites, and maybe Benin - good choices there. But the others? Kievan Rus' were the ancestors of Russia if I recall correctly, so why not simply play as Russia? The Timurids, well, I'm assuming you are referring to Tamerlane (sp.?) who was a Mongol. Mali, well, it's the same thing as the Songhai surely?

The Timurids weren&#8217;t just Mongols and weren&#8217;t just Persians. They represent a merging of those two cultural-lineages that really created a unique culture and atmosphere that significantly changed the cultural-milieu of that area from then on. They did carry on aspects of both cultures, though, becoming the center of Islamic learning for a time and keeping elements of Mongolian administration. However, they also created new forms of art and architecture and really were a melting-pot culture from influences along the Silk Road. The Safavids that conquered the Timurids were really the Persian culture and were the ones to re-establish Persian-Iranian identity in the area after the Timurids fell. It&#8217;s also hard to say the Timurids were just Persian or just Mongol when the part of them that wasn&#8217;t conquered by the Safavids essentially became the Mughal Empire which became one of the major empires and influences in India.

Mali and Songhai are a case of geographic overlap; however, they represent two different cultural groups and kingdoms that conquered the same area rather than a single empire under different dynasties. Mali grew from the Kingdom of Nyeni of the Mandinka ethnic group and spoke Mandinkan. Songhai grew from the Kingdom of Gao from the Songhai ethnic group and spoke Songhai (Mandinkan is a Niger-Congo language while Songhai is a Nilo-Saharan language). There is overlap between the two in that both adopted Islam and Islamic culture and they both conquered many of the same kingdoms, but they weren&#8217;t the same empire. If this was Europe, and two separate kingdoms (with different languages and cultures) conquered each other&#8217;s land, I kind of feel the question of their difference wouldn't even come up?

I don&#8217;t really want to say anything about Kievan Rus&#8217; because if I do, it&#8217;s going to make someone angry and they&#8217;ll fill this thread with angry comments like I get on the Steam Workshop. But, essentially, the history of Russia proper begins with the Duchy of Moscow after it gained independence from the Golden Horde. It then claimed translatio imperii both of Kievan Rus and Rome (through a marriage with the niece of the Byzantine Empire). Kievan Rus&#8217; was really its own unique state, though. It was a collection of principalities that were briefly united under the reigns of Vladimir and Yaroslav. After which, the central authority began to break down before the whole thing was conquered by the Golden Horde. It was a predecessor state to Russia but it doesn&#8217;t really have the same direct, unbroken lineage that you can see with the Duchy of Moscow, to the Tsardom of Russia, to the Russian Empire, etc.. However, more than the other two, this civ can be argued either way depending on how you personally draw the line for civs. Then again, it&#8217;s also similar to how Civ IV included both the Holy Roman Empire and Germany.

(I'll also say, Kievan Rus' is one of my most popular civs).

Besides, you can technically argue that the Byzantine Empire was just the Roman Empire. Why make them into a separate faction? Or the reverse of that, the &#8220;Polynesian Empire&#8221; in the game really represents two distinct cultural groups and several independent kingdoms that never interacted with each other. Why make them just one faction?

And partly, I just make the factions I find interesting, and I also think the historical importance of those three factions justifies their inclusion over any potential overlap.

I also think the historical importance of those three factions justifies their inclusion over any potential overlap.

Absolutely agreed
Not just the quoted part, with everything you said

If this was Europe, and two separate kingdoms (with different languages and cultures) conquered each other&#8217;s land, I kind of feel the question of their difference wouldn't even come up?
yeah lol
turks replaced byzantines which were essentially greeks/romans. roman empire was replaced by empire of franks, who were actually germanic tribe and conquered a territory which now belongs to france, germany and italy. shouldnt all these civs be represented by a single one? :lol:

Top Bottom