Do you learn history from Civ V?

I'm always too excited to actually play the game instead of reading all that extra junk. I've learned most of my history through video documentaries.

I learned a lot about history from Civilization I and II. V has little to teach me anymore, although I peruse some Civilopedia articles time to time.

I also blame Civ for my English competence. It's not my native language but Civilopedia and the thick manuals taught me well.

Hello, do you actually learn something from Civ V according to real history? Are you reading civilopedia's "Historical info" section?
There is superficial information about everything, but anyways it is good enough to get the big picture, isn't it?
Most of the time, I procrastinate on this, but I am reading about everything - units, technologies, social policies and so on from time to time, though I find it very interesting to learn about civs and leaders I am playing with. How about you?

It has piqued my interest to read up on a civ or two, like Siam.

But I feel the subtle nods to history are the best moments. "Manifest Destiny" being a land grab UA, China having a tendency to build the great wall, that sort of thing.

I believe that Civ 5 is more of than just a game. Civ 5 can be used as history simulators for schools. Imagination is a vital part of learning. Everyone should visualize how adventurous Magellan circumnavigate the world. ;-)

If the game made you pick up a book, or even just read Wikipedia, then mission accomplished. If, for example, the addition of Brazil in BNW made you read about Pedro II (as a previous poster noted, he was a very admirable person IMO), then I'd say that's a good thing.

I think that you do learn a little bit of history in the help section and the civilopedia. I usually read about the different civilizations that are in civilization and learn about them. I have read about Polynesia, Indonesia, Korea and even the ur city state recently.

Top Bottom