Do forests spread from roaded forests?

opensilo

Warlord
I know that forests won't spread onto a tile that has (or has ever had) any kind of improvement on it. But, will a forest spread from a forest with a road on it?

I ask because I'd like to grow some forests for the later game in tiles near a not-yet profitable city site. But if I can't put roads through the nearby forest tiles, it'll mean a big detour for troops passing through my empire.

Yes, yes, I know I should just chop the forests and live without them, but if anyone knows the answer, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Actially that was my question to.
I notised they they do grow even on roaded tile, but they seems never spread when I put road on them. But that could be because I put road on them later in game.

opensilo said:
Yes, yes, I know I should just chop the forests and live without them, but if anyone knows the answer, I'd like to know. Thanks.
This is wrong. You should never chop willy-nilly. 2 forest tiles give a +1 health benefit, which can be crucial on certain maps (i.e., lots of flood plains around and few health resources.)

Forests directly next to cities (especially on the coast) should always be chopped, because of the security risk. Otherwise...SAVE THE FORESTS!! :lol: Trust me, you'll be glad when you need to chop a crucial Wonder, or build lumbermills.

As for how forests grow back...no idea. But, contrary to popular belief, forest WILL grow on tundra. I think it only works if the tundra's on a river, but yes, I have seen it happen. Twice in one game, in fact!

In the game I just played I was watching for it and yes, forests did grow back onto roaded tiles (and from roaded tiles).

Hope it helps!

Uncle_Joe said:
did grow back onto roaded tiles
I second this. It was a pleasant suprise since I read on these forums that "any" improvement prohibited forests.

However, it looks like that forest has higher chance to grow on tile without road, especially at the corner of island rather than at the center of island. May be because many unit passing through center tile. Isn't it ?

jerVL/kg said:
But, contrary to popular belief, forest WILL grow on tundra. I think it only works if the tundra's on a river
Nope,it happen also on tundra tiles without a river.
I played a forest game hope to find some kind of pattern when
and where forests grow,but I still don't know what causes
a forest to grow.I noticed in the late game they almost never
grow anymore.

Does the graphical density of the forest have any connection to the likelihood that it'll spawn another forest next to it? I'm betting the two are at least somewhat related. It'd make sense, too with the thinner forest being less likely to spread.

I have a Forested Peak next to my capital in my current game - never saw that before.....

Wait, you mean a forested impassable mountain tile? That's pretty wild. Is it surrounded by forests?

jerVL/kg said:
This is wrong. You should never chop willy-nilly. 2 forest tiles give a +1 health benefit, which can be crucial on certain maps (i.e., lots of flood plains around and few health resources.)

I confess to being somewhat facetious with my "I know, I know" cry. I've got a spot for a production city--and it's not on fresh water--that will be a fair bit more productive (esp. with lumbermills) if I can just get another forest or two to grow. Should be possible since one spot borders three forests and another borders four, and I don't need the forests for anything urgent. But the place is in a chokepoint to a small peninsula that I want, so I want to build roads through there.

Thanks to those who verified the growth of forest from and to roaded tiles. I wasn't expecting them to grow onto roads!

It started the game that way - I'll post a picture when I get the chance.

Cool. I'd be curious to see that. Figuring out how the game designs its own maps is kind of interesting to me. That plus figuring out how exactly forests grow in this game is of particular interest (since I'd like to find out how to promote forest growth in the later game)

Here it is: (sry I dont know how to thumbnail them) Amusingly enough, the Hanging Gardens ended halfway up the mountain, with an aquaduct draining out of them into the city!

Top View:

Uncle_Joe said:
In the game I just played I was watching for it and yes, forests did grow back onto roaded tiles (and from roaded tiles).

Hope it helps!

ive seen forrest grow from roads to unimproved land ..... never seen it the other way around

Top Bottom