BarbarianCiv on Terra maps

jdog5000

Revolutionary
Many people have brought up the issue that the old version of BarbarianCiv caused the "New World" to be full by the time their explorers arrived, eliminating some of the fun of playing a Terra map.

In an attempt to address this, a few versions ago I added the feature that Barbarian cities are blocked from settling down if there are no units from another civ on their land mass. This means that there is still space in the new world, although there's a mildly ridiculous explosion of civs when the first explorers land and it still fills quickly.

What other ideas can we come up with?

One idea I've been toying with is allowing barb civs to settle down in the new world, but perhaps with lessened benefits. It would be easy to determine whether a civ is forming in the new world, as all other civs with cities there would carry some BarbCiv data. Then, these weakened civs could also be blocked from producing settlers, either until explorers arrive or for some set amount of time or until they discover some tech. This would mean a fairly empty new world, with some pretty backward and barbarian battered civs I imagine. Thoughts?

u could put a city limit of like 1-3 until the discovery of a certain tech (probally compass or astronomy)

I think that barbarian civs in the new world should be limited to two or three cities, have something like +50% research costs, and stay minor civs until the first settlers arrive. (not explorers, settlers.) Then, maybe 30 turns after the first colonial city is founded, the minor civs will start becoming normal civs. Just IMHO.

Edit: This thread is kinda old, isn't it? -facepalm-

Top Bottom