Increasing chances of more than 2 continents when playing Continents.

Revoran

Prince
By far the most common number of continents to generate when playing the default Continents script is 2 - but I much prefer having between 3-5 continents of varying sizes, how can I increase chances of this happening?

I don't like the "small continents" script because it tends to create 7+ continents which is just too many for me, and each one seems to be too small. It's basically too close to archipelago for me.

I liked the way it works in Civ4, scripts are customizable, you can set how many continents you want, and their shape (compact, snaky,...).
I'd like to see it back. Continents is a good map script, but a little too much predictible as it is now; it'd be nice if I didn't know how many continents there are and their shapes and locations.

I agree, I once worked around this by using archipelago with low sea level. I was more or less happy with it. Continents plus seems to have a few more continents but then CSs all on islands forces certain types of play.

Isn't there a 'Small Continents' map or did I dream that?

By far the most common number of continents to generate when playing the default Continents script is 2 - but I much prefer having between 3-5 continents of varying sizes, how can I increase chances of this happening?

I don't like the "small continents" script because it tends to create 7+ continents which is just too many for me, and each one seems to be too small. It's basically too close to archipelago for me.
This. Try to read the OP carefully. ;)

I'm just throwing this out there having read all the posts:

Have you tried the Small Continents script with low sea level? Maybe it would merge some of the landmasses together?

What size maps do you play? I typically go standard and continents with low sea level and I get 2 continents, but last time I tried the same, only with large instead of standard and I ended up with three continents, one of which was smaller than the others but still classifiable as a continent (the french had it to themselves). Not sure about getting more than 3 though.

Depend... I actually play a small contiment map, with ... 2 continent on it. Setting is Large, Small continent High sea level...

Wonder what happen

Does Sea Level actually change the balance of land/sea tiles? I figured they'd balance it out, so it'd end up just changing shape more than size of continents.

I don't understand why these options aren't (at least briefly) documented somewhere.

Generally I either play continents, or generate a map in the worldbuilder until I get one with 3-5 continents and quickly save it and play it without looking at it too much.

I like continents plus but all the islands seem to get taken up by city states, whereas it would be nice if a civ with a coastal bias started on an island.

wobuffet said:
I don't understand why these options aren't (at least briefly) documented somewhere.

I hear you. World age sets the amount of mountains and hills, younger = more hills. Sea level sets the sea tiles / land tiles ratio, lower sea level = more chance for fewer, larger contiguous land masses (that being said, continents will always have at least two continents, and pangaea will always have one major landmass. Rainfall sets the amount of forests, grasslands, jungles and marshes vs deserts / plains; wetter = more forests and less deserts. Climate sets the size of the polar regions (tundra, snow, ice) vs the size of the equator regions (jungles and to a lesser extent deserts and marshes - but mostly just jungles); obviously colder = bigger polar regions.

cccv said:
What size maps do you play? I typically go standard and continents with low sea level and I get 2 continents, but last time I tried the same, only with large instead of standard and I ended up with three continents, one of which was smaller than the others but still classifiable as a continent (the french had it to themselves). Not sure about getting more than 3 though.

I usually play large / huge which probably helps a bit.

Misterboy said:
I'm just throwing this out there having read all the posts:
Have you tried the Small Continents script with low sea level? Maybe it would merge some of the landmasses together?

Thanks, I will try it, perhaps on Large, and see what happens. :)

Isn't there a continent plus map? with the explorer DLC map pack?

There are like more continents

Edit if somebody played on this is this true? because i am not sure

No, continents plus just makes a bunch of island chains and then puts all the city states on there. I've only played it twice (once Large, once Huge), but both times it was just two continents

Find Continents.lua in maps folder in game assets or just search for it. Open the file with a text editor and go down to around line 170 where there is a multiplier (originally the multiplier is 60-something iirc). Change that number to something lower, even 50 should be low enough for what you're looking for. Save file and voila! Next continents game should have more continents, but not as many as small continents map.

I love random but balanced maps so every civ gets a chance to use their strengths. After doing this i never looked back!

Find Continents.lua in maps folder in game assets or just search for it. Open the file with a text editor and go down to around line 170 where there is a multiplier (originally the multiplier is 60-something iirc). Change that number to something lower, even 50 should be low enough for what you're looking for. Save file and voila! Next continents game should have more continents, but not as many as small continents map.

I love random but balanced maps so every civ gets a chance to use their strengths. After doing this i never looked back!

Wow, nice to know that, thanks buddy.

It would be great if any future patch would allow us to play around with the amounts of continents we wanted. I do agree that I find myself wishing for more large continents as opposed to just knowing that whichever civ i dont meet on the first one will automatically be on the second one. Toying with buying the explorers dlc but the fact that it places all the city states on islands isn't that enticing.

Try the Communitas map script. It's pretty customizable, giving more options than the standard scripts. It often splits the 2 continental landmasses into a few smaller ones sometimes connected by a land bridge, sometimes not. It's usually pretty balanced but more unpredictable. Here's the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=21590

I think it's also on the workshop and there's instructions on how to use it without mods so you can still get achievements.

Communitas map is very good (also for the numerous river, for city placement), I was a bit desappointed with standard Continents because it's too random. I play England 95% of the time because I love naval civ and exploration; I always beeline astronomy to discover uncharted islands and continents.

Continents is good, but as I said, too random: sometimes there are the 2 landmass with no lone islands, sometimes there are one small isolated continent and a bunch of islands. Once I discovered (circa 1200) a small continent (about 15 hex, on large map), with two ruins (upgraded my promoted scout in archer by the way!), three luxes, and the King Salomon Mine! It was like, "oh, I discovererd a lost continent!". And full of barbarians, of course.

I also play with raging barbarians, so in late eras camps still spawn naval units, such galleass or privateers (never saw a frigate tough), they act like pirates.

Communitas map is very good (also for the numerous river, for city placement).

I forgot to mention that. Communitas map is great if you like the Aztecs. More rivers and lakes make the UB so much better than on standard maps plus the rivers look more natural too with tributaries and flowing into and from lakes. It's a cool script.

Top Bottom