Best use of hammers when there's nothing to build?

Gary King

Prince
What's the best use of Hammers when there is nothing to build, as in no buildings or Wonders left to build?

If I'm not gearing up for a war, then should I just produce Research, or should I still build military units to defend myself just in case, since that's always an option? Although units cost maintenance, so there's that to consider.

Are you talking about when you're waiting for a science victory? or the final vote for a diplomacy win? In those cases military is always great option.

There's almost always something to build. If you truly have built everything then maybe play on a higher difficulty- or- if you're roleplaying on a low difficulty, then just think, "what would my leader build?"

More military for safety.
Between "Research" & "Gold" it depends upon which of the two if your bottleneck towards completing your victory.

Cruise missiles don't cost maintenance so might as well make them.

Yes, this is my favorite. You can have a big "fireworks" fest after you launch your ship. :)

So long, suckas.

If you really have nothing to build and you don't have science or gold opened up yet, you can get all of your units down to 1 turn left and switch off. This way, if you ever need units by a surprise attack you can suddenly produce 4 - 5 of them in 1 turn each. BOOM!!

If you really have nothing to build and you don't have science or gold opened up yet, you can get all of your units down to 1 turn left and switch off. This way, if you ever need units by a surprise attack you can suddenly produce 4 - 5 of them in 1 turn each. BOOM!!

Hammer decay. Better to just build the unit and disband it for gold. Or just build wealth.

What's the best use of Hammers when there is nothing to build, as in no buildings or Wonders left to build?

If I'm not gearing up for a war, then should I just produce Research, or should I still build military units to defend myself just in case, since that's always an option? Although units cost maintenance, so there's that to consider.

You'd be better off moving up a difficulty level if you're finding yourself in that situation often. Its a sure sign that you're far ahead of the AI.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

The only time I don't have any wonders/buildings to build is near the end game or if I'm researching military techs.

For the former its situational depending on the victory type you're going for, how close you are to achieving it, etc. If you think you're in danger of being attacked, build units, otherwise research/wealth is better if you're reasonably assured of peace.

For the latter, if I'm researching military techs then I'm going domination and obviously going to need an army.

How do I build faith with unused hammers?

Build the complete faith producing building set of shrine/temple in every city and watch your faith add up. The faith trade will allow you to shop for faith buildings and great people that require so much faith and the required social policies for the great people that you would want.
If you already built faith, then build a few guided missiles from time to time. They're built cheap and are easily available. Enemy units can easily lose hp with a few guided missiles.

Okay thanks for the tips guys. I started a new game (I'm currently at the Emperor difficulty level, number 6 I think?), and this time I did a better job of specializing my cities. This really helps in decreasing the amount of wasted production that I had before, because I was building Markets in all my buildings even when they didn't need it for instance, since I had run out of things to build.

Now that I'm specializing, I've got my Capital for Production, another city for Gold, another two for Science, and another one that eventually eclipsed my capital for Production. I'm at the Biology tech and I have yet to have a problem with Gold, Happiness, or Production so far, so I have definitely tried to take into account all your suggestions.

I was building Markets in all my buildings cities even when they didn't need it for instance, since I had run out of things to build.

Because of National Treasury, don’t you need a Market in every city? Markets and Banks pay for themselves pretty quickly, so what is harm with building them anyway? (I am less confident about Stock Market ROI.) I think most of us responding were thinking you were further along in the tech tree. It is really rare for me to have an idle city so early in the game, so I think you are doing something right!

Top Bottom